#36 Michael Hartley

He was good in 2016 but has fallen of a cliff since verging on de-list material.

6 Likes

Love the bloke but liability that will cost us (more) games

2 Likes

Didnā€™t think Hartley was that bad. FFS, heā€™s only 25 and some of the big boys (1.99m) take time to develop. On Thursday he had 14 possessions (13 kicks at 85% efficiency!), 3 marks (could/should have more) and 7 (!) tackles. Iā€™d say heā€™s doing his job and providing a good avenue out of defence. Donā€™t forget Carlton had 62 inside 50ā€™s so the defence needed to defend a lot of the time. Yeah, heā€™ll scrag from time to time but his good outweighs the other stuff. Heā€™s backup at this stage but can see him being a regular in the next year or 2.

1 Like

I liked Hartleyā€™s game.

People seem to forget we have two incredible All Australian backmen in Hurley and Hooker.

The real issue for us this season I think will be midfield defensive pressure. We are still a lightweight (although talented) midfield. With the 6 6 6(or satans rulešŸ˜‚), I think midfield pressure will be even more critical.

In my opinion Hartley is a lot like Smack in that he makes some silly football decisions over and over again.

All the skills though, except perhaps he isnā€™t a strong mark.

Gives away too many dumb frees and really needs to improve his marking. Would love to see him impose himself a bit more but seems far too timid for his size. Backup only at this stage but even then Iā€™d rather see Berzerker get a go ahead of him

3 Likes

He only gave away 1 free kick and actually received 2.

3 Likes

Love the guy, seems super popular and know he tries his guts out, but still worry about the dumb, costly shiiit. Could see it happening in a crucial moment in a final and that scares the fk out of me.

Ordinary at best.

6 Likes

Love the guy, seems super popular and know he tries his guts out, but still worry about the dumb, costly shiiit. Could see it happening in a crucial moment in a final and that scares the fk out of me.

His Hair is really making him stand out. Itā€™s like when Ackermanis did it to get noticed for the Brownlow but Hartley is doing it to get noticed for the vacant whipping boy position.

I kept thinking in the game - yes Francis is sitting under this inside 50, I can relax, nek minute, hartley

Went from solid lock down defender in 2016 who would fist anything coming near his man out of the stadium to being so terrified he gives away a free every second time the ball is kicked near him

Is the complete opposite of the player in 2016 in attitude, wish heā€™d just go back to flying at the ball and marking it / the big fist

Hurley as well is going this way, he was one of the competitions best when he went for his own mark / attacked the ball

Both these guys are now trying to just wrestle their opponents, thatā€™s not their style, who is teaching them to play their worst?

1 Like

Gone at the end of year, along with Stewart who will probably be traded to Saints or North.

Imo he is too slow and too weak, and doesnā€™t have a great tank.

These days KPFs have at least one stand out physical feature and all Hartley has is his height, so he is always opposed to a forward who has at least one advantage over him, which explains why he gives away so many free kicks.

How about we wait about 26 weeks (ideally 31, allowing for a premiership) before writing blokes off?

2 Likes

efa

3 Likes

Pretty sure he performed one of the most significant on field courage acts in the past few years.

2 weeks in a row

It certainly is a bold hair-do

Worthy of any Gryffindor, especially a Weasley

3 Likes