#36 Michael Hartley

What in particular makes you say that? I understand frustration when Hawkins got off the chain.

I saw him turning round to the crowd and fist pumping after goals.

You must have had a better eye on him than most. I thought he did real well most of game. V hard to impact against Tom when he gets silver service like in the last. Fairly sure I even saw Harts take his first mark in the third for the red and black. Confidence growing

Held him to two marks to 3/4 time, one unlucky free and one that was there. Was pretty happy with his game all told

4 Likes

Iā€™m told the wordā€™s tolled ā€¦ :wink:

Thought he was reasonably good / OK last night.
Started to move up the ground and link up more, rather than being stuck in the back 50, which is something I believe the coaches have wanted him to do.

As for Hawkins, Harts had to cope with the little publicised Rule 37, subsection iii, ( informally known as the Alister Lynch Rule),
which apparently states;
_"Any oversized lunkhead playing full forward may, within 30 metres of goal,

• scrag, tackle, apply headlocks, and throw to the ground their opponent with no penalty whatsoever.
  • _Any attempt to prevent this by their opponent will be instantly penalised

This Rule is to be accompanied by the compulsory use of the term ā€œrag-dolledā€ by at least 2 football commentators"

No wonder Harts was p***ed at times - he forgot this special exemption.

11 Likes

Apart from the last qtr i donā€™t think hawkins was 4 shots at goal better.

Never really understood why Brown was preferred. Iā€™d be picking Hartley every week purely to balance the defence. He does look a bit fined down though. actually, the whole list looks a bit more targetted at ā€œrunā€ as the year goes on, but thatā€™s a different discussion.

Donā€™t agree. Brown competes as good as if not better than Hartley and creates more when he has it. Would love to see Hartley use that peg of his a bit more. He is better than what he is currently showing and hope he finds some form this week, will need him to play a blinder with the Weagles KPFā€™s

I think Brown is far better suited to play like Hurls currently is, not as a stopping kpd.

I donā€™t think either are in great form but to my eye Hartley allows a better structure.

8 Likes

Agreed. Without Hartley we donā€™t really have anyone to play on the monster forwards.

Hurls is a bit small and is too valuable in an attacking role. Ambrose is also a bit small. (Itā€™s also a waste of his running power to leave him in the goal square.) And Brown is not defensive enough.

Harts did ok apart from 1st half of last quarter
& is worth keeping in the team.
Ambrose may have been stronger on Hawkins though.

I see Brown as similar to Stewart, but I reckon Stewartā€™s going to be a better option.

Yep this. We seem so much more assured and well set up when heā€™s in the team. Defence seems to operate smoother when heā€™s there which I guess is credit to his defensive style and nouse. In time hopefully he can become more attacking as Woosha has mentioned.

After last night, Iā€™m more inclined to think that Hooker would be better down back against the likes of Hawkins. But we need to have an alternative to Hooker forward, and at the moment the only one is Francisā€¦and thatā€™s a dicey propositionā€¦or maybe even Jobe.

Saying that though, Hawkins shouldnā€™t have been playing. Got away with a bad deliberate trip last week that would have got Fletch 4 weeksā€¦Iā€™m not even sure the MRP mentioned it. Trips like that can break a blokeā€™s leg.

2 Likes

I think heā€™s .5 of a sec off tAFL pace in regards to decision making.

Will be very interesting to see if he can compete well against the West Coast talls that are more mobile that Hawkins.

1 Like

This worries me too. He has been trailing his man by 10m the last few weeks and the only thing Hawkins is quick at is getting to the all you can eat buffet. JK and Darling will cause massive headaches this week IMO

the Weagles will def test our tall timber.
v well may see Hooker back a bit more. I hope Ambo isnā€™t sorely missed.

This is a big test next Sunday.

In fact, I believe this is the game that will really see where we are at.

No excuse for short weeks.
Only Ambrose as a def OUT that would be IN.

Myers needs to play more midfield time, and he along with Jobe, Goddard and Hepps, need to win the inside ball and hence more clearances.

Do that, and weā€™re a chance because if we get the ball to our runners and then forward- we have enough speed of ball movement and forwardline quality now to kick a winning score!!

Huge game.

1 Like

Yep, a good game to put Myers in the middle and let Goddard use his ability to read the ball as the spare defender.

One things for sure, Hartley will be useless on any leading forward that is given even remotely decent delivery. Only answer is to cut the ball off before it gets there and put someone in the hole.

Think youā€™re underselling LAV! there myself. If he didnā€™t get hurt, heā€™d be best 22 by now I reckon.

Yep Iā€™m with you on this one. Critics need to look at the whole picture before commenting. I thought Brown did a pretty good job but the structure is definitely better with Hartley in the back 6.