#37 Nic Martin - all of the extension, pls

got to admire how he’s making the most of the opportunity to play AFL

7 Likes

Did he send them to spain mid-season or something?

It’s productive in the sense that it’s making the players take some responsibility for their complete lack of effort throughout the season.

You don’t start a fire and then ■■■■ off to the otherside of the world to let it burn.

I’m asking how that makes it productive. They didn’t make finals, got torched in the media, and were (at least in part) responsible for the coach getting sacked. Do you honestly think forcing them to stay in Melbourne (even interstate players wanting to go home to families?) and watch the finals they didn’t make is actually beneficial to their development as players? It’s literally nothing but punitive.

Yeah we all love hearing how Sheedy tore shreds through the playing group after '83 - forty fricken years ago. That mentality doesn’t work anymore and it isn’t relevant.

2 Likes

I know his tackle numbers are low(ish), but it’s not like you see him shirking tackles he should be laying.

Don’t know if that’s a different problem, but I’ll take his ability to get free a billion times a game if it means he’s not close enough to tackle 2 more times a game.

4 Likes

I don’t think he’s got the balance right of accountability vs playing his own game. He obviously works hard in terms of effort and running and so on.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see him tasked with tagging / run with roles a couple of times next year.

(He’s also a very bad tackler, along with Durham. He needs to get better there; which he will.)

Between him, Ham, and Durham, we got utterly mauled down the wings all year.

2 Likes

He can improve defensively- I mean he came from nowhere onto an AFL list, I reckon he has time to work on his game.

Having said that, I actually think his tackle stats are a bit misleading. He often doesn’t over-commit to tackling and guards the space, and by standing off he doesn’t allow opposition to ‘draw the player’ and create an overlap. It’s an intelligent method if done well.

6 Likes

His biggest test will be surviving an essendon preseason, if he comes back in 2023 bigger and better then we will know we’ve pinched a gem

3 Likes

Not sure they can keep them when they move into their annual leave period. AFLPA/Collective Bargaining etc

It’ll be a challenge. Not only does he have to not have his skills Essington’d, he has to avoid injury (and the ensuing delaying of surgery to the eve of R1, with the hope that after a recovery period and some time in the VFL, we’ll see him back after the bye.)

4 Likes

He also needs to improve, any second year blues and he’ll become a whopping boy a la Cox

2 Likes

Think you meant whipping boy? Kinda takes a different meaning when talking about Cox.

3 Likes

Based on what I’ve seen of him we should just let him do his own.

1 Like

Yeah how dare the boys have leisure time in their off season. They should be living and breathing Essendon 24/7

That’s ridiculous. They should at least think about Essendon occasionally during the footy season though!

3 Likes

Not only is Nic working out , he supported the AFLW girls today. We don’t deserve him

17 Likes

I hope he is given the number 5. Looks slick with ball in hands, quick in his first few steps and has a good side step to get out of traffic, Strong around the hips and runs all day. He looks to have the ability to play genuine dangerous forward role, wing and perhaps in a few seasons rotate through the centre square.

7 Likes

It’s the long sleeves. 5 suits him

3 Likes

We actually do deserve him! If anyone deserves him it is efc supporters. We also desperately need him!

I hope he develops into a real leader in our team.

4 Likes

The boy is working hard:

28 Likes