#40 Ben Howlett - Delisted

Based purely on form this season, l would have Bird on the list every day of the week, before the Bobcat, who looks like his time is well and truly up. The Saga claims another victim. The game went past him in his year off, and he has not recovered from that.

1 Like

Howlett has been gifted games when the form at AFL level has not warranted it. How has he been unlucky?
I can’t see the point of keeping players around who are unable to perform for depth reasons. There are plenty of guys running around the VFL who could fill a role and do it better.

Essendon Football Club has made further changes to its list following the conclusion of the Trade Period.

Ben Howlett and Craig Bird were advised that they will not be offered a new contract for the 2018 season.

Howlett played 124 games during his seven year career with the Bombers. His fearless attack on the contest, determination and selfless playing style were trademarks of his game.

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, commended Howlett for helping drive the Club’s strong culture. “Ben is an unbelievably strong character in terms of his leadership and team values,” Worsfold said.

Well done Ben- did the best with his ability.

But it is also a symbolic of the strength of our list that we don’t see a spot for him.

5 Likes

Always had a genuine crack. Can’t ask for more than that, really.

8 Likes

Sorry to see him go.

6 Likes

Best of luck to Benny in the future, at his best he was a pleasure to watch and could always be relied upon for 100% effort.

4 Likes

Do we have a standardised “Welcome to Essendon”-style thread renaming for delistees? @theDJR?

#40 Ben Howlett - Welcome to the Rookie List

3 Likes

Thanks Ben. Always worked hard for us. Good luck in the future.

1 Like

I remember in 2013 or 2014, he was running around playing with a broken jaw. This wasn’t information that was known at the time but he didn’t miss a beat and his contested possessions and tackle numbers were still high. The bloke was (and still is) f**king tough!
Best of luck for the future and thank you for everything you gave to the EFC.

7 Likes

Always thought that he was never AFL standard and then he’d come and have 25 possessions 5 goal games.

He was never a player that we could build a side around but he was a player that you need as a part of your best 25- tough, hard working and passionate.

He won’t have the glamour of Watson but he leaves with his head high and a with a successful career behind him having being one of the best footy servants in the last decade.

This is the last of the old rein minus Myers and Colyer. Sad but this is the right direction if we want to win a flag.

Over you to Parish, McGrath and co

2 Likes

Loved the Bobcat in his prime. Good luck to you Benny

1 Like

Sad news. Always gave his best

I agree with this. Certainly was a hard at it footballer.

I remember his 5 goal game against Adelaide (I think round 1 2013).

Just think the club are after players with greater leg speed and Bobcat wasn’t exactlly the quickest player on the park.

1 Like

Bobcat seemed to always be at the ‘fringe’ but is exactly what you want from a player… hard at it, loyal and a great clubman.

Would have well and truly deserved more success and could have had it too if not for the saga. Hit a real purple spot in the aborted 2014 campaign and showed his versatility on more than one occasion.

The game, sadly, drifted away from him and I can’t disagree with the decision to delist him but it isn’t without a hint of regret I’m sure. Well done Benny and congratulations on a great career.

1 Like

I’m another Bobby fan, he always gave everything he had.

( my wife is a big fan also, if you know what I mean… )

2 Likes

Thanks for the good times, Ben.

1 Like

Just popped in to say how much I admired this guy. Tough, beautifully balanced, great goal sense with a great love of the footy club - what’s not to like about Ben Howlett?

16 Likes

I understand but very sad to see him go nonetheless. Loved our club- great club man.

1 Like