#9 Dylan Shiel be right, mate - from July 2022

Putting the doubters in thier place im proud of Dyl the last few weeks

Cmon Nino, you were one of them.

1 Like

Probably our most maligned player.

And one of our best.

Watching him play, I can see that he is actually a superb team player. He brings team mates in all the time, sharing possession with them for the benefit of the team.

It’s interesting that Shiel plays best when Darcy Parish is out.

I know the Parish clique will be annoyed by this, but it’s as if Parish won’t give Shiel any space — as if Parish has a monomaniacal need to maximise his own possession numbers every game, and will not, or doesn’t know how to, share the ball around.

They simply shouldn’t be in a CC at the same time.

2 Likes

That’s just silly…watch him and Merrett together…he shares the ball plenty…also check his handball stats…every handball is to another team mate…he’s the extractor that gets it out to the outside mids.

The only knock on this is Shiel’s age…regardless, Geelong will come for Parish, that’s a lock and I think EFC need to retain Parish, as he has unique “extractor” skills that Merrett & Sheil don’t have IMO

2 Likes

like !!

I said you’d be annoyed…

No, you said “The Parish Clique” will be annoyed.

I’m not in such a clique…I like both Parish and Shiel and don’t get the animosity towards Shiel (except that it wouldn’t be Blitz if people weren’t ragging on one player or another)

Given parish’s handball to kick ratio…nah he is a distributor and who he distributes to is more around “the setup”. Sheil was having a lean trot and the wake up call gave him a bit of a jolt, and his own self image thingy did the rest. It helps that Sheil is now the go to man ATM.

I agree that no more than 2 of McGrath, Sheil, Parish or Merrett should be on the ball at the same time together… we need the right mix and we have plenty of options. So we need whoever is managing the rotations to get the mix right…one of the more important game day player management tasks IMO

3 Likes

Allowing for the fact that both teams would drastically overrate their own player how crazy would a Grundy for Shiel swap be? Wouldn’t it make both lists better?

Grundy ? No thanks. I’d rather keep Shiel.

Hope Dylan can continue this current form, as he’s legitimately playing at a super high level. Good on him for responding the way he has.

In his last 5 games:

25 disposals (11 contested)
8 clearances
6 tackles
0.5 goals and
1 goal assist (7 score involvements)

This is why we got him to the club

17 Likes

Dunno if hamstring or knee related but early in the season looked like he had a bad back to me - seemed to barely be able to touch his knees on the run let alone pick up a ground ball. Some of his release handballs are exquisite - I said this a week ago I think, but the weekend had a couple more that were chef’s kiss. Reportedly very professional so either way - if he’s traded them fine given his age, but I’d be happy for him to keep going.

That’s one thing we need at present.

Tiwi Highlander: There can not be too many players of that type.

Sounds like Sir Humphrey

2 Likes

Has actually consistently been a better centre bounce clearance mid that Darce, but Darce is better mopping up loose ball around the ground. Darce never shared the ball with Shiel as much as he did with Zach, mainly, I think because Zach is the best user in the team.

1 Like

Setup….Zac setup for the backwards handball, Sheil ???….so maybe its the “setup” not being helpful to Sheil’s game

If Geelong come for Parish they would need to cough up similar trade they asked for Kelly

1 Like