A thread about rain and no other things

You posted this just to make me mad didn’t you

Australian east set for severe soaking as major storm systems strengthen

By Kate Doyle

map of australia showing rainfall over over 25 mills for most of the east coast |700x467 Photo: Rainfall forecast from the 12th to the 19th of December 2018 (Supplied: Bureau of Meteorology )

Hail, destructive winds and heavy rain are set to pummel much of the eastern seaboard in the coming days, with the Bureau of Meteorology issuing severe weather warnings in several states.

Much of Victoria is expected to be inundated over the next few days, with conditions forecast to worsen overnight and into tomorrow.

Meanwhile Tropical Cyclone Owen is intensifying in the Gulf of Carpentaria, and is expected to strengthen to hit Queensland on Friday.

YouTube: BOM update video explaining what’s expected for the south east this week

It is currently a category 2 storm, but could be a category 3 when it makes landfall.

“We’ve got a low pressure system likely to develop over south-eastern Australia, probably over Victoria on Thursday,” the BOM’s extreme weather desk manager James Taylor said.

“That will draw in moisture from the Tropics and tropical cyclone Owen during Thursday and Friday and create a heavy rainfall risk from a cloud band with embedded thunderstorms over a large part of probably the eastern seaboard.”

Giphy: Forecast rainfall over the next few days

Giphy: Forecast rainfall over the next few days

Mr Taylor said the heavy rainfall risk will be for large parts of Victoria and northern and eastern Tasmania.

There is also a chance of extreme conditions in South Australia’s south-east as well as eastern New South Wales, and up along the coast of Queensland.

Mr Taylor said while most of the potential damage in the south-east will likely be rain-related, Owen could also generate damaging winds in Queensland.

“We’ve got a real risk with heavy rainfall, but there’s also damaging to destructive winds associated with [tropical cyclone] Owen that we need to worry about,” he said.

Just started here.

Are we allowed to talk about hail in this thread? Or just rain?

NO OTHER THINGS.

Ffs enough with the rain.

yes - but you have to call it frozen rain

2 Likes

Updated forecast says I’m not getting frozen-rained on on my ride home anyway.

Boring.

Very short-lived here. Eric Olthwaite would have been disappointed. Hardly registered in rain gauge.

3 Likes

So I started this thread the night before the threatened Rainageddon last year. As you all remember, that Rainageddon never happened, but what did happen is that my work Christmas party (which was supposed to be outside) was pre-emptively cancelled.

I’ll give you one guess what’s scheduled for tomorrow.

5 Likes

my work christmas party is tomorrow too

We’ve been working together ALL THIS TIME

Come over and say hi, we can chat over an eggnog.

careful doe, trolley man gets jealous real easy.

2 Likes

It’s raining in Mathoura.
You’re welcome.

hanukkah?

No rain so far here in brunswick

The hatches; batten them down.

Light rain in South Oakleigh - skies are getting dark very quickly now.

ITS TIME

4 Likes