Adam Goodes Documentary

I’ve mentioned four.
Three is a pattern.

I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t read after that, because you haven’t got even that right.
Should I?
Is it worth it?

Edit: I’m guessing not, because if you’re going to pretend four is two then I don’t think you’re being honest.
I think you have a preconceived view and have no real wish to discuss what actually happened.

Congratulations on coming up with 4 instances it was “ok” to boo Goodes. That’s four matches out of a 372 game career.

My FAVOURITE part is the defense “he’s not Mr Clean” after having won two Brownlow medals, for being the fairest and best.

No maybe my favourite part is the long, long list of exceptionally dirtier players who DO NOT get booed at all, despite ticking all the same boxes (minus skin colour).

You’ve reviewed yourself and all is ok, Mr Shaun Ryan, so maybe don’t read the other posts.

1 Like

No, it’s four out of his last season or two.

I can see you’re upset.
But here’s the thing.
People who coathanger (not high tackle, you’re a smart lad and I know you know the difference) get booed.

And yes, he won two Brownlows.
Was he gett…you know what? Fark the rhetorical questions.
He was NOT booed then.

Great. Now here’s a crazy thought…picture that person on the footy field was Adam Goodes…Now what do you see?

1 Like

This argument is still incredibly flawed. I could argue about how it’s still 4 out of 372 (He existed before his final two seasons), but let’s even ACCEPT that. Let’s pretend he had absolutely NO reputation prior to his final two seasons, good or bad, and did 4 bad acts in games.

He should then get booed in those four games.

Why on earth would any other fan boo him then? Are you planning on booing Andrew Gaff? Jeremy Cameron? You’re not rocking up to games to boo returning suspended players, nobody gives a ■■■■ about the ‘dirtiness’ of a player unless its against your immediate team.

You did hit the nail on the head though - he wasn’t booed then… because he hadn’t challenged white Australia.

It was ONLY after he stood up to racism he was systematically booed throughout the AFL.

5 Likes

After the Winmar incident the then Collingwood President said that Collingwood would accept anyone provided they behave as a white man.
Henry Lawson used that term to signify a decent person.
Up against it if you are black

I know this doco info has only started to come out this week, hence the thread, but I would like to very respectfully remind everyone that it is Indigenous Round.

Peace and love to all.

7 Likes

Anyway, Wim, I don’t think you as a person are racist. It’s more the act of the booing (and to be honest I doubt you did boo) and what that then enables that I have the issue with.

And we could talk about for days, months and now years since this all happened.

But it’s kind of pointless.

Again, you’re making this personal.
No, I would not boo Andrew Gaff.
Or Jeremy Cameron.

Would I boo someone who gives a cheap shot to James Hird?
Hell yes.
I might get over it pretty quickly, but certainly in his next game.
I’d have booed Mitchell in his next game too, if he didn’t duck it.

I don’t pretend to know why he was booed in a lot of games, I’ve given reasons why he was booed in four.
And you’ve said nothing against that, so…what are we doing here?
Really?

This is what really ■■■■■■ me off

"The chairman of the Swans Foundation, Peter Ivany, says the film was an emotional experience for the son of a Holocaust survivor. “I was a mess, in tears,” he says. "I understand what racial vilification can do. There’s no question it was racist".

No question it was racist he says.
This person knows why every single person in all the different crowds booed apparently.
States this as a fact. No question. He knows.

It absolutely infuriates me that this sort of rubbish statement is quoted without question.
I understand, he says. I know. Therefore we must take his opinion as gospel.

Anyway apart from that I cant stand Adam Goodes. Good footballer complete sook. I didn’t like the way he played, I didn’t like the way people pandered to him. Media darling.

3 Likes

Yep.
Untrue and unhelpful.

Do I think the twelve year-old knew what she was saying?
Nope.
Do I think Goodes was right to point it out?
Yep.
Do I think the mum the twelve year-old learnt it from knew what she was doing?
Don’t know. Definitely maybe.
Do I think Goodes would have called it out if he knew it was a twelve year old girl?
Don’t know. Maybe yes, maybe no.
Do I think Eddie is a friggin’ idiot?
Yep.
Do I think he was trying to be insidiously racist?
Nope.
Do I think it needed condemning anyway?
Yep. And it was.
Do I think Richo is a friggin’ champ for not having a bar of it?
Yep.

Do I think people want to sort everyone into black hats and white hats, and do I think that is friggin’ stupid?
Hell to the farking Yes.

2 Likes

sigh
Does anyone think that when I checked out Goodes in the last H&A game in Melbourne of his career, that I was actively looking for him being a jerk?

I was not.
I went looking to see if he was still being booed.

I’m not happy that in the five friggin’ minutes I watched of it, Goodes was being a ■■■■.
Not rough.
Not a little how ya goin’.
A dead set ■■■■.

Please Wim. I take you as a smart bloke.

His imaginary pretend spear (but very harmful it seems) was after and in response to the boos. The imaginary invisible spear didn’t cause the boos. You are rewriting history there mate.

You say you are not part of the stupid crowd but by saying the boos were ok then you are buddy. You stand with them. right in the middle.

Despite having the information that Adam was offended and thought it was racially driven.

If an aboriginal man stands there and says “What you are doing is racist” you can’t keep doing it. You also can’t as a privileged white man tell him he’s wrong.

But you keep doing it and you keep telling me you are not with the stupid crowd.

That war dance was awesome. I loved it and when you see the doco and educate yourself you may see that Adam had spent the week with some young Indigenous boys learning that dance so he could connect with his past.

Take out that second sentence.
Post it again.
And I’ll read it.

Because if that’s where you’re coming from, if you’re just going to be a smartarse, then we have nothing to talk about.

Edit: But up to that point, antagonistic actions will ■■■■ off a crowd.
Doesn’t matter what race you are.
If that is any part of your point then you have no point.

What second sentence?

The imaginary invisible spear you are so offended by? That one?

Is the imaginary invisible spear hurting you again?

And if one day you ever get the privilege to work with Indigenous people you can tell them that the invisible spear was hurtful to you. They love hearing that from privileged white men.

Don’t accuse the white fella of being racist.

Don’t let the Indigenous fella fight back. Keep them down.

Yeah nice point made. Well done.

1 Like

I’m…just sorry for you.
I’ve said, I’m not offended by it.
And given that, given you go on about it, you’re trolling.
You’re not listening.
You’re not discussing

You’re an intellectual midget.

Now, if you can raise the bar a little then I’m happy to discuss this.
Otherwise, I’m sorry, you’re just a friggin’ Anning voter and I won’t waste my time.
Especially since you’re not spending any of yours.

Edit: I want to help you here. The point is not whether I was upset by Goodes doing the spear dance. The point is whether Goodes upset opposition supporters to the point of booing by doing the spear dance at them.

I think it very probably did.

Edit: lol, and if, as you say, someone does that to me in the street…I will punch them in the farking throat.
I will not take it as a friendly gesture.

4 Likes

Load of ■■■■ Wim.

Don’t hide now you are outed. Telling the Indigenous, if he only acted like this it would have been ok.

Example.
It would have been fine. If he did it towards his own fans. If he did it up the ground.
Subtext if the Indigenous man would have just kept his thoughts to himself instead of voicing them.

He did it towards opposition supporters. He mimicked spearing them.
Subtext, how dare the Indigenous man stand up to us.

Now, I would suggest that if any player from any team goes up to opposition supporters and mimics shooting them, they’re not going to be happy.
Subtext, as a white privileged man i have some advice for you.

And having said that, I don’t believe Goodes actually meant any harm.
There’s this whole underlying narrative that Goodes is a smart guy who knew exactly what he was doing at all times, and I don’t believe that’s true at all.
Subtext, Adam is just another stupid Indigenous man who should know better but is smart enough.

And in other examples you have written that it was ok to boo because of 4 incidents. WOW.

Wim it is dripping with racist undertones. And sadly you can’t help it or recognise it.

Another white man telling Indigenous people he is not being racist.

2 Likes

It wasn’t on the street you moron.
It was at his place of work.
he had voiced his disapproval of the booing.
You haven’t been abused for the whole game.
You aren’t booed.
You haven’t been booed and forced out of the game.

YOU ARE WHITE AND PRIVILEGED.

WHAT THE ■■■■ ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

How is that the subtext?
There’s no subtext.

My point and all of my point is that if he’d done it as a celebration of his culture and even of his team, then it would have been awesome.
He didn’t do that.
He made a threatening gesture to opposition supporters, really close up, and they got ■■■■■■ off.
I don’t blame them.

1 Like