Adam Goodes Documentary

The language you use is loaded with racism and you are not even aware.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been booed.
Iā€™m aware of privilege.

I think perhaps more than most here, in discussions that have been had on this site.

Iā€™m not arguing that Goodes didnā€™t feel persecuted.
Iā€™m not even arguing that he was wrong to feel that way.

I am arguing that he did things that would antagonise opposition supporters regardless of race.

You, and I note no-one else of your position, even wants to address that.
So good-o.

I hope youā€™re not as upset as you seem.

Iā€™m sorry you have been booed but Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t fuelled with racist hatred.

But ā– ā– ā– ā–  me Wim even that post is laced with BS.

Iā€™m not even arguing that he was wrong to feel that way.
It shouldnā€™t need to be argued Wim. He felt vilified. End of story.

But you donā€™t get it. And thatā€™s fine. I know where you stand now.

Well, it does matter.
Intent matters.

Especially if youā€™re putting things on people that arenā€™t there.
You can argue itā€™s not as wrong. Thatā€™s another discussion.
But itā€™s still wrong.

No, of course my boos werenā€™t racially motivated.
The argument is whether they were entirely racially motivated or even to anything more than extremely minorly racially motivated.

The title of this documentary is ā€˜This Is What Racism Looks Like.ā€™
I have a problem with that.
The Goodes story is, perhaps, This Is What Racism Combined With A Player Acting Like A Complete ā– ā– ā– ā–  Looks Like.

Iā€™m not ignoring the small parts of racism that exist to this day in AFL crowds.
You are, however, ignoring everything that Goodes did to ā– ā– ā– ā–  people off.
And a lot of other factors, which Iā€™ve spoken about, but you donā€™t want to discuss any of that.

2 Likes

Looking back, I think the AFL should have come out stronger against it and supported him more and I bet they regret that they didnā€™t. At the time I didnā€™t have a big problem with it but, in hindsight, whether it was racist or not I havenā€™t seen someone booed like he was in a setting that wasnā€™t pro-wrestling and I can completely understand why people felt uncomfortable about it now. Iā€™ll put my hand up and say I got it wrong.

4 Likes

Oh, and ffs, donā€™t take my suggestion that Goodes wasnā€™t a genius as racism.
Heā€™s a football player.
Did he pass year 12?

Iā€™m saying that people are putting a lot of wisdom on the poor bloke, perhaps even racistly as some sort of inherited memory, that he never had.

Again, not about race. About an individual.

I think the AFL could have stepped up and said itā€™s not okay to boo Goodes just because heā€™s Goodes.
I think that would have been helpful.
Perhaps.
But again, if Iā€™m being completely honest he didnā€™t help himself on the field.

AFL says donā€™t boo him and then he clocks someone?
What then?

Their are two docos.
One is called The Final Quarter and the other is called The Australian Dream.

But in your twisted mind itā€™s called ā€œthis Is What Racism Looks Likeā€ which you are upset by because it is again an Indigenous person telling a white person he is racist which you respond to with ā€œNo I booed you because you are a complete ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€.

WOW.

This is the only point I need you to understand.
People may have been initially booing because he dived or hit someone. When Adam said he felt the booing was racial it becomes racial. At that point we decide do we continue to boo and make Adam feel like he is being racially vilified or do we stop and support.

Racist continued booing and other racist said it was ok to boo.

Itā€™s simple.

Iā€™m slightly fascinated that Wim was adamant that the knight cartoon - of Serena Williams was definitely racist.

On the other side, Iā€™d ask Ant if Goodes repeatedly ran out and kneed people and staged for frees and dramatically appealed to umpires (say, 5 times as much as he did),?what would an appropriate crowd response be to that behaviour? Or letā€™s suppose he shook the goalpost did anything that clearly would annoy the crowd (other than a spear dance or other thing that might be race related). What should a crowd do then?
Because if a boo is allowed in any such circumstance, then itā€™s just the Winston Churchill question of price.

No need to be fascinated.
People arenā€™t cartoons and they donā€™t fit into neat little boxes.

Easy to pretend they do, though.

Can I just get a preemptive strike on the record now that if Houli belts one of our players on Saturday night I will boo him. I donā€™t care if he interprets the boos as racist and confirmation that it upsets him will only be seen as a positive outcome.

1 Like

My apologies.

This is the reason for my error.

Edit: Iā€™ll let the whole ā€˜twisted mindā€™ thing go, but Iā€™ll note that itā€™s not very nice.

I think if he clocked someone on the field people would have recognised it was clearly for that in regards to that particular game but if it went on for weeks and weeks like it actually did then thatā€™s cause for some concern. I say this because Sam Mitchell was a scumbag who intentionally kneed opponents to give them corkies but didnā€™t suffer the same abuse, neither did Chris Judd who tried to eye gouge people and rip Leigh Adamsā€™ arm out of its socket. I will admit I wasnā€™t a fan of Adam Goodes because I think he was a dirty player at times however so were many other players and they never dealt with the same reaction as Goodes. My original view was that people only continued to boo Goodes because it became a meme and they were essentially told not to do it by people on TV, but like I said, looking back I think the AFL should have stood up for him more and so should have the other clubs.

5 Likes

Sorry it made you feel uncomfortable. Luckily you wake up tomorrow and youā€™ll be white and everything will be ok.

Iā€™d love you to share your opinions with our Indigenous players. Iā€™m sure they would be responsive.

Watch the docos and educate yourself.

Iā€™m completely comfortable, thank you for your concern.

I think Iā€™m probably far more concerned about you, but I wonā€™t let it linger.

Edit: and lol. I think Wirrpanda is perhaps The most outstanding ā€˜personā€™ on or off the field that Iā€™ve ever seen.

Next time we have a Bomberblitz BBQ Iā€™m going to come and I hope you are there.

Iā€™m going to invite some of the Indigenous boys to join us and you can fill them in on your wisdom.

Itā€™ll be great.

Agree?

WOW. Just WOW.

Now you are saying ā€œHey look, I like Indigenous people too, look here is a referenceā€.

Are you serious???
Is this a joke?

And what wisdom is that, exactly?
That Goodes was sometimes a dirty player?

Do you think that will upset them?
I donā€™t really see the need to bring that up.

I met Tippa, briefly, and I was absolutely awestruck, as I am with any Essendon player.
To me I will always be ten years old and they will always be older and wiser to me.

Iā€™d you want to talk about a twisted mind, then yeah, Iā€™ll plead guilty on that.

Iā€™m quite aware that youā€™re trying to hurt and embarrass me.
Youā€™re not.
But again, intent matters.

You are doing a good job yourself mate. This is laughable.

Again you tell part of the story to suit yourself.

Why donā€™t you tell them the full story?? That it was ok to keep booing him? Because you know, you werenā€™t being racist.

You could also tell them that he shouldnā€™t have done the spear throwing at the opposition supporters because it might make people angry.

You could also tell them how you like David Wirrpanda so it backs you up as not being racist. GOLD!

You could share it all. Iā€™m sure Walla would be as in awe of you as you were of him.

You know what?
If I did meet Tippa over a longer period, I donā€™t think heā€™d tell me his opinion of Goodes.

I just donā€™t think heā€™s that sort of person.

I mean, I only spent a few moments with him, and of course he may have changed since then, but he was actually more nervous than me.
Which is saying something.

These scenarios in your head, I donā€™t think theyā€™re helpful or altogether healthy.