Adam Goodes Documentary

Yes. Everywhere apart from the SCG or the Olympic Stadium.

Okay, thanks.

I’m with you on this wob.

It’s exactly the same as Serena Williams at last year’s US Open. Act like a spoilt brat and then when she rightly gets penalised she calls it racism or sexism or whatever bullshit she went on with

2 Likes

Ah, the old “I’m not racist I have a black friend” excuse.

Love that one.

2 Likes

Eesh.
I decided to have a look myself, and yes, Goodes was being booed against St Kilda round 22, 2015.

Also, he totally friggin’ coathangered a St Kilda player late.

Edit: And yes, I’m going there. Which I’m guessing will NOT appear in the documentary.

The war dance by Goodes just poured fuel on the fire on an already hot situation. You can’t play the race card, then do something like that and expect people to be fine with it

4 Likes

Ok I will bite on this topic as there’s still 15 minutes till lunch.

The problem with “I was booing Goodes the footballer” argument is that so much of the criticisms had nothing to do with football. Now, if this isn’t you, that’s ok, but the fact you then participated in the booing actually enables the real racists to feel justified and supported in their actions. You are essentially joining them in their game.

A large part of the Goodes criticism was that he made white Australia feel uncomfortable with a number of his actions. When he pointed out a racist member of the crowd he was demonised ‘because it was a kid’, when he did the tribal war dance he was criticised for ‘inciting violence’ and a bunch of other rubbish and when he won Australian of the Year he certainly wasn’t a popular choice among your everyday white Australian – and what does that have to do with footy? Even when the McGuire stuff happened he was criticised for being soft/overreacting and you got to hear and read people saying “it’s not racist he just looks like a monkey”.

There was more criticism of Adam Goodes for his stances against racism than there was for the racism itself. There were excuses, there were reasons, he was painted as the problem. Even reading this thread he is apparently a “flog” – why?

He stood up against the undercurrent of racism within Australia.

Now, you may say “yeah but I booed him because of he took a dive” (another argument, irrelevant to the point) but by participating in that you stood with the racists. You stood with the people booing him for his skin colour and participated in the exact same thing they were doing. So pat yourselves on the back for ‘not being racist’.

17 Likes

This is EXACTLY what I mean.

The war dance isn’t racist in the fkn slightest. It’s celebrating heritage. It’s the fkn Haka, you go boo the All Blacks too?

3 Likes

It would have been fine.
If he did it towards his own fans.
If he did it up the ground.

He did it towards opposition supporters.
He mimicked spearing them.

Now, I would suggest that if any player from any team goes up to opposition supporters and mimics shooting them, they’re not going to be happy.

And having said that, I don’t believe Goodes actually meant any harm.
There’s this whole underlying narrative that Goodes is a smart guy who knew exactly what he was doing at all times, and I don’t believe that’s true at all.

3 Likes

Point taken, it was just that, ,when Wanganeen won the Brownlow, that Cable Indigenous heritage was publicly acknowledged. I went along ( wrongly) with the prevailing view about the hair.

They are boing you because you punched everyone on the filed.

What has race got to do with it?

Ok. I won’t quote you.

1 Like

■■■■ off Wim.

He threw an imaginary spear at a crowd of opposition supporters who were giving it to him for the whole game.

It’s imaginary. Not real.

It’s akin to Nicky Winmar pointing to his skin in protest.
It’s akin to a Mathew Richardson giving the finger to the crowd.

But you’ve been hurt because Adam Goods threw an imaginary spear in to the crowd.
HAhahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
HAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I’m on the floor.

You tell Adam Goodes to toughen up and take racism on the chin but poor old Wim has been hurt by an imaginary spear.

Oh my. My stomach hurts.

7 Likes

one of the great posts.

Well done YT.

2 Likes

Which she then apologised for and said it wasn’t.

My favourite part of this discussions is white people sitting around deciding what’s racist.

Then they will go to another thread, and cry because the AFL umpires review themselves…

6 Likes

Lol it’s official then. Only white man can be booed for it not to be deemed racist. Thanks for the wrap up fellas.
Whoever started this thread I have one message for you…booooooooo!

1 Like

I’m not upset at all.
Because I’m not one of a very stupid crowd.

It’s not the same as Nicky Winmar pointing to his skin, and it’s not the same as a middle finger from anyone.

It is, as I said, the same as someone mimicking shooting someone in the crowd.
That would be, I think you’d agree, pretty farked.

And whether or not it is farked is not even the point.
You do that, you’re gonna get booed.
You middle finger the crowd, you’re gonna get booed.
You’re sure as hell gonna get booed if you go right up to the friggin’ boundary and do it to the opposition crowd.

Oh, and also, fark you too sweetie.
I’m sorry your points make no sense, but you’re probably a nice person all the same.

1 Like

You’re also gonna get booed if you coathanger a bloke late in your third last game.

That’s the problem with this whole thing.
If Goodes was Mr Clean then this wouldn’t even be an argument.

He was not Mr Clean.
There were Lots of reasons to boo him that had nothing to do with race.
All of that muddies the waters.

And I have as little time for people shouting Racist, Racist, Racist, he’s Racist, you’re Racist, everyone was Racist, as I have for those saying there was no racism involved and he should have just sucked it up.

6 Likes

The major, glaringly obvious fault with your argument is that you’re mentioning two games.

Two.

He was booed in every single match… and you can think of two instances he ‘did’ something (one of those being standing up for himself).

Not only that, they both happened AFTER he had already been booed for ages. So people somehow managed to go into the future, foresee his actions, come back to normal time and boo him in advance of the actions even happening. You find THAT more believable than “there were racial undertones”? Really?

Let’s not even get into how many times “coat hangers” (also affectionately known as “high tackles”) occur in a game and result in no booing.

There’s something called ‘privilege’ where people of colour in this country have extra hurdles and barriers to overcome than your average white male. Is anyone but Freo fans booing Andrew Gaff for what he did? I saw Tom Lynch take a dive on the weekend, how’s the systematic booing of him coming along?

Adam Goodes challenged a lot of people with the stances he took and it was confrontational.

6 Likes