Adam Goodes Documentary

you can take that two ways. whilst education of the term gorilla or monkey has been disclosed (for me recently anyway with the West coast players coming out this year and explaining properly why the term is so offensive) that it is an extremely offensive term to the indigenous race, this man again may have been ignorant to that fact. I’ve been to the footy heaps of times with footy players like Fraser gehrig and Barry hall being called gorillas and apes. It’s ignorant to suggest that just cos it was directed at goodes it’s automatically a racist slur. Ignorant, yes but doesn’t mean his intention was to be racist

1 Like

We booed an unconscious (potentially dead for all we knew) umpire off the ground that night.

“The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli…”

20 Likes

Annoys me that criticism of black people is always assumed to be racist but heck you just cannot plausibly suggest someone using ‘gorilla’ as a term of denigration to a black person is not racist.

Read what I said properly. I clearly said u can interpret two ways. Like I said players like Barry hall and gehrig for called apes plenty of times, this is clearly due to their stature and not cos of their skin color. Adam goodes also had a big stature, but cos he’s black it’s racist. If that fan meant it in a derogatory racist way then yes shame on him but im saying don’t judge his intention to be racist just because he called him a gorilla

1 Like

Plenty if other indigenous players have been booed over the years, not to the same extent as Goodes. Different people, would have different reasons, it would not all be about racist intent. There is no way to tell which motive is which.

1 Like

man this thread is going to deliver.

We haven’t reheated this soup for years!!!

5 Likes

Agree. Looks like this doco is going to serve a decent purpose, getting this debate to be more open in a public forum.

4 Likes

I agree

First time I booed him was during a game I distinctly remember (2006 or 2007 maybe?) where he smashed Hird in the kidneys with his elbow from behind at a stoppage and then five minutes later did an almighty dive to draw a free kick.

It didn’t take much for me to get stuck into him after that and he usually gave me an excuse, whether it was the cheap shots, the diving, or sucking in umpires for 50m penalties.

Once the racism stuff came up I stopped booing but it didn’t stop him running around like a giant ■■■■■

5 Likes

I don’t really care, to be honest. But, to be very clear, allow me to re-word: He actually diminishes his good work by allowing himself to be so impacted by the booing, and conflating it with absolute racism.

1 Like

I’m not sure any reasonable person would say that it was “never” about race. It clearly was for absolute fucksticks like the piece of ■■■■ in the article.

But it wasn’t for everybody.

2 Likes

Well, yes… what part of that doesn’t make sense?

1 Like

Why was Bob Skilton nicknamed The chimp?

2 Likes

Goodes has SWMNBN in his corner.
She seems to have taken on his story to maintain some relevance in the football world.
On footy class’d she lambasted Akermanis for telling a story on the front bar about some monkeys.

Goodes will be fine. He has the epitome of fairness and balance and courteous consideration in his corner.

1 Like

Most people didn’t have a problem with the message, it was the way he delivered it that caused the issues.

Probably because he looked a little bit like a chimp, I’d imagine.

He was also very hairy.

Bingo

The guy got preferential treatment almost his whole career from the umps. Yet the crowd booing him towards the end of his career upset him.

Give me a break

2 Likes

You haven’t filled in any of the required squares to make the claim of “bingo”, friend.