Adam Goodes Documentary

I’ve no doubt that Adam was subjected to sustained and disgraceful racist prejudice across his career.

I’ve also no doubt that he was a kidney-punching, sniping, whinging, knee dropping, double-standard-grabbing opportunist on the field.

One of those is a stain on society. The other is a flaw in the footballer. The societal one bothers me far far more. , though the other infuriated me at times. The personal one inflamed and probably brought to the surface the society issue at times, especially towards the end, but in no way excuses it.

I disliked his overplayed sense of melodrama and thought it often counterproductive (I thought he lost the plot a bit, tbh) , but he didn’t force Fat Eddie to suggest he could be King Kong…

22 Likes

He hit Hird three times in a few minutes in that game. You know you’ve pushed it too far when an ump in Sydney has to step in to punish the local.

1 Like

Oh I read it properly.

Wouldn’t have thought any spelling out was necessary. Name based on appearance regardless of skin colour/ethnicity, though it sometimes is a contributor. If a person’s bone structure gives the impression of looking simian, darker skin (or hairiness) just contributes further. Someone like Burgoyne (for example) would be far less likely to be called ape because his bone structure does not resemble same. Skin is only one factor, not enough by itself.

I wonder how many times Bob Skilton, his family and his ancestors were labelled inferior on the basis that they were genetically more similar to apes than another race was?

I wonder how many times assumptions were made about his character, worth and place in society using long discredited pseudo-science as justification.

I wonder how many times his people were hunted and killed like animals because people found it easy and convenient to believe that they were.

There’s a difference between applying the “ape” label to people with light or dark skin.

A big, huge, embarrassing, racist, ignorant difference.

16 Likes

I feel you’re being objective for the sake of it. I’ve made my point, you’re choice if u want to take the ultra PC road

Comparisons are odious I know and I am reluctant to exemplify him but there is overwhelming positivity about Tippa. I have been to just about every game Tippa has played I have never heard a bad word about him, I never heard him booed, in fact, opposition supporters admire him , unlike Essendon fans who love him. I see no overt racism there. But look, I don’t know what people in the crowd are thinking. They might all be inner racists for all I know.

Why was Adam Goodes booed? I don’t know, I never saw him play but I will watch the doco and see what they have to say. In that doco, do you think we will see a highlight reel of Goodes the “kidney-punching, sniping, whinging, knee dropping, double-standard-grabbing opportunist on the field” ?

1 Like

What, are you five?

I lived overseas.

Also, can I just throw this out to my many detractors.
If you want to insult me, my new insult of choice is ‘deliberately objective.’

3 Likes

Objective? Well, I try… not sure what your point is, but if you think understanding the cultural and historical basis for offence being taken at use of the term “ape” is ultra PC, then I don’t feel like I’ll be missing out on much of a conversation.

4 Likes

Dingus wins two compliments: he’s choice AND objective!

Assuming dingus is a bloke.

1 Like

I’m sorry, did you just ASSUME MY GENDER?

7 Likes

He/she/they/it

Zir

1 Like

cool. I respect your standpoint. just don’t agree with it

I’d say 90% of the people were booing just because everyone else was, sure ignorance is a problem but to call it full blown racism doesn’t sit well.

The community is less racist than people will lead you to believe.

And I respect your right to be incorrect on this issue, but can’t respect our assertion that it’s OK to call indigenous people apes.

1 Like

Have a mate who is a magistrate. One of my other mates calls him ‘your majesty’, annoys the crap out of him!

1 Like

Two points.

1. I regret having posted in this thread after telling myself I wouldn’t.
  2. I am literally having a laughing fit at the inappropriateness of this anecdote.