Adam Goodes Documentary

I thought he got booed because as Australian of the year he made comments that made white Australia uncomfortable . Rather than tell us its all good . It isn’t all good .

1 Like

I saw both docos three weeks ago at a private screening with a majority indigenous group of young film-makers. I think the Stan Grant one, Australian Dream is more watchable, but both are just fluff pieces in my view, and this seemed to be the view of the young indigenous film makers, who I must say are very serious about making documentaries with a strong social context.

I am an admirer of Goodes the person who offers a strong and effective role model for his race, and he should be seen as that. However he was a professional footballer, and a champion player, who in his later years acted poorly, hence the booing. You can make of it what you like, and I am not for one minute excusing racist Australia having seen first hand how my daughter-in-law and grand-kids are treated every day.

9 Likes

Ha!

I think you should do some research if you think Long and Winmar didn’t cop abuse from the crowd :joy:

1 Like

I am not sure anyone celebrated their aboriginality as aggressively as Goodes. And no one turned the spotlight back on the fans as aggressively as Goodes.

He never changed his style of play, he only started getting booed so religiously after his stand.

Anyway I’m going to try and stay out of this topic because it’s annoying, but two more things.

There’s a frustrating inacceptance of diversity that is wide spread in Australia. Things like, “if they just learnt the language and assimilated into our culture I’d like them… it’s the ones that don’t”. Or “I didn’t like the way Adam Goodes celebrated the goal”.

Which leads to “liking aboriginal players”… as long as they act and talk like the white players. Bring a bit of aboriginal culture to the game and everyone is up in arms over a goal celebration.

2 Likes

Yes any form of racist behaviour should be called out for what it is, and the idiots that do it made accountable…totally agree and I think Australians in general are pretty good.

I also think Australia needs to do more in giving our indigenous people a sense of pride & purpose, its a shame the PC do gooders made it all about Goodes cause he really is a flog & probably achieved the opposite of what they were trying to do. Now they are doubling down…just watch Goodes will try and be a politician soon…

Someone like Tippa or Eddie are both perfect role models, not whingers like Goodes that manipulate people, just guys that go about things in a normal way & are elite at what they do. Goodes wanted to be treated as special…he is not.

3 Likes

Except that’s not true, though.
This is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

While I’m picking out single points to disagree with, though, I’ll also add…Chris, you’re way off.
Firstly Adam is free to identify with whatever family culture he chooses (and that’s a whole other thing but asking ‘why does he think he’s aboriginal’ is…just weird’) and secondly plenty of people were more than happy to do the identifying for him, I have no doubt throughout his life.

Anyway, this is my entire contribution before I leave you all to it, because I know there’s a ■■■■ here who will go through anything I say with their racist detector just waiting for the chance to go ‘ping ping ping’, so you know…■■■■ that.

But it’s been interesting reading.
Mostly because it seems to me that very nearly everyone in it is speaking entirely to themselves.

3 Likes

I completely disagree. Interviewing people casts opinions where as the way it was done was pure. All comments and thoughts as they were aired and as it occurred.

You asked a couple of weeks ago how much it would be ‘manipulated’. It wasn’t at all.

The behaviour towards Goodes was disgusting and embarrassing and far worse than I recall. He told us he didn’t like it, his teammates told us he was struggling and players from all clubs stood up for him. All this was ignored. The AFL were typically pathetic and weak.

2 Likes

Didn’t watch it. Don’t wanna watch it. Fark him.

He’s a d!ck, I know he’s a d!ck, he knows I know he’s a d!ck.

The journos, who are even bigger d!cks, are looking for sensationalism, shock horror and a sympathy votes for the d!ck. Well fark him for the wanker he is and fark the horse he rode in on. What a beat-up about misconstrued actions. If I didn’t mention it - what a farken d!ck who got rightfully booed for being a d!ck.

I hope our aboriginal brothers find reconciliation and their happy place in society. If Adam Goodes is the answer, then fark the question. 'Cause he’s a d!ck

On a lighter note - A bloke once said to me, “there are 3-things I can’t stand- prejudism, blacks and new australians”. I’ll probably get flamed for making light of a serious matter. But I encourage you all to lighten up.

Once again, aboriginal reconciliation is vitally important but not via A. Goodes, 'cause he’s a d!ck… Hopefully I referenced that he’s a d!ck elsewheres.

The crowd who were booing were not racist, they were Goodesist.

1 Like

Booing Goodes for staging or sniping would have been legitimate at any time. Booing him for making a stand, calling out actual racism being made Australian if the year and making white people uncomfortable would not have been legitimate, it would have been racism.

If you booed in the immediate aftermath of an act of staging or sniping I reckon it’s a bit tough for that to be labelled a racist. But if you booed just because he was on the field or got the ball then that’s problematic, and frankly that ended up being most of the booing.

I think if any indigenous player had made the stands that Goodes did there’d have been an element of racist booing response. I think though while lots of things he did were statesmanlike, Joe public doesn’t like that, if they don’t perceive you as a statesman, and the history of sniping and staging didn’t help with that. Hence there was a lot more booing than say longy would have copped if he’d said the exact same things (but longy would still have copped some I reckon).

1 Like

True… what did that cwood president say? Paraphrase ‘they would be ok if they behaved like white men’…

Goodes got booed because he raised his head. When Louis Jetta publicly stood up in support of Goodes, he was booed. As for the others, you’re the one accusing them of being ‘Uncle Toms’, not me.

2 Likes

are you my mother in law?

This thread is everybody telling everybody else how they feel or should be feeling and the other person saying no I don’t feel that way then being told they do and should.

6 Likes

i’m hungry.

Some truly enlightening comments by gronks in here.

2 Likes

No you are not and you shouldn’t be.

1 Like

no…but probably the same age

It was a ratings flop … which of course means there are so many racists who just ignored it