Adam Goodes Documentary

He actually got booed because he ducked his head, staged for free kicks, hit opponents behind play, slid in with his knees in backs of opponents and whinged like hell to the Maggots.

Rampe got booed, I guess because he climbed a goal-post, cheated and got away with it.

Now what happened at other games to Goodes and Lewis Jetta may be due to scurvy racists; I do not know as I was not there.

1 Like

When D Rampe gets booed for three seasons straight, up and down the entire country, and is subject matter for all varieties of media but particularly by the Devine/Bolt/Jones/Panahi type, you might just be onto somethingā€¦

8 Likes

I reckon a fair bit of this thread is also about what people ā€˜didā€™ (i.e. the booing) rather than just how they felt.

I donā€™t feel that way and neither should you.

Attempt at being clever? Yeah, nahā€¦

I donā€™t feel clever. You do though.

Ah come on man, thatā€™s just childish. Letā€™s move on.

I agree. It is childish.

My guess is that a fair portion of people at the footy say and do stuff without thinking why, but do it because the crowd is.

1 Like

If Rampe climbed the post but was aboriginal, would that make the boo-ing racist?

4 Likes

This isā€¦kind of a fascinating example of how, itā€™s a little lame to talk about left and right but canā€™t be helped, Trumpism works.

I hate Bolt and Jones and Hun columnists.
Hate ā€˜em.
And yet Iā€™m being grouped with them.

As much as I hate and disagree with them though, theyā€™re not the ones hating or attacking me.

Now intellectually Iā€™m still not going to side with them, but on an emotional levelā€¦geez the ones I disagree with or the ones actively calling me a bad personā€¦which way should I go?

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I think about now. I wonder what would happen if a guy that got booed for whatever reason over a sustained period of time came out and said ā€œIā€™m really struggling with my mental health at the moment but I want to keep getting out there and playing footy with my teammates. The constant booing is making things worseā€ would people en masse, be so ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  minded as to continue? And yes I know this was different to that at the time.

I think itā€™s worth noting, whether or not this is how he actually felt at the time, that Goodes said at the end of the home and away season of his second last year that he was fine with the booing.
That it didnā€™t bother him.
That great players get booed and he took it as a mark of respect.

Iā€™m not trying to sway the cough argument by pointing that out.
Maybe he felt he had to say it.
Maybe he was told to say it.
I donā€™t know.

But thatā€™s a fact.
That happened.

1 Like

I think itā€™s pretty safe to say he didnā€™t like being subjected to ongoing booing. In spite of what he said. And we know this because he subsequently stood out for a period because of it.

1 Like

Subsequently.

Are you suggesting people should have assumed to know better than what Goodes was saying?

As I said in a previous postā€¦ EFC has a rivalled history with Goodes which goes back to the start of his AFL career. Weā€™ve had issues for the cheap shots he took at Bolton behind the ball. Weā€™ve had issues with the fact the umpires had unofficially labelled him untouchable.

We were booing him, because of his actions on the football ground, but once sections of the booing is based on ā€˜being proud of heritageā€™ and ā€˜standing up against prejudiceā€™ā€¦ That is racism.

When I realised and reflected on the racist undertow of the boos I stopped. Itā€™s not the action alone that is racism, itā€™s the underlying bigotry aswell.

6 Likes

Iā€™m saying that his actions suggested he didnā€™t like it.

Subsequent, yes you said.

This is a good post.

I think a lot of the people saying ā€œI didnā€™t boo him because Iā€™m racistā€ are right. But the booing had racial undertones, perhaps not their individual boo, but collectively it did. There was a discussion around the time bringing those undertones to light, that certain sections were booing because of what he stood for and who he was - not how he played.

So those ā€œI booed because I didnā€™t like him as a playerā€ types are rightā€¦ But there was a choice to recognise the undertones and stop, or continue to boo because how he played.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a badge of honour to claim you continued to boo because of how he played.

4 Likes

Well, I suppose you can cling to a 30 second sound bite in isolation to justify your position. Just saying the ā€˜wholeā€™ paints a different picture.