Adam Goodes Documentary

I’m not clinging to that or any one thing.
But thanks, again, for assuming my position.

Well, you’ve assumed Goodes’ position via a 30 second grab.

In fact I have gone to great lengths not to do that.
I’ve given possible context as to why that may not have been his genuine feelings.

You will (not) note, that I haven’t assumed how or why you feel the way you do.

So , comfortable in your uninformed opinions then . Watch it with an open mind and it may help educate you .

Context, is very important.

Absolutely.
I’d be very interested to hear the context of those comments.
Are they in one of the documentaries?

I think he was just trying to tough it out and not encourage it by letting them know that was getting to him . He was clearly distressed by it .

1 Like

The before and after makes that pretty clear.

I agree with your first sentence.
Not so much with your second.

I know it feels nicer to assume that.
There’s a lot going on in this whole issue, and I’m sympathetic to a lot of it.

What I rail against is people rewriting history to pretend this was all cut and dried from the start.
There was a lot of ambiguity.
And to pretend there wasn’t, to ignore things the man himself actually said, is just dishonest.

Mate, in addition to the rabids on both sides there’s also everyone in the middle.

Most can see that the whole topic of racism / the Goodes saga is complex. Being in the middle is not fence-sitting - it’s ok to be there… it just means you’re not full of yourself and that you can respect another point of view.

1 Like

smile
I don’t respect the point of view from some internet nobody who doesn’t know me or anything about me when he says I’m racist.

I know myself enough to know that how I feel about all this has been tainted by one jerk.

Edit: So tainted, in fact, that I see a post of vague support as an attack.

1 Like

A few points that relate to the now infamous 2014 game at the dome:

• The loud booing started that night directly as a result of Goodes staging for - and getting - a free kick in front of goal. The fact that we’d had a few missed in our forward line just before it only flamed it further. The booing did in fact start because of a staged free.

• Seconds after this booing started, I also heard a guy from a few standing-room bays across yelling out some of the loudest, most direct racism I’ve ever heard at the footy. (It was bad.) It made most people around me stop and look over. I remember a guy near me yelling back “That’s not why we’re booing, you farkwit.” This wasn’t an isolated incident.

• Goodes didn’t receive the loudest boo that night, we reserved that for a guy who was potentially dead.

Also, it should be noted, that Goodes never played against Essendon in Melbourne again after that game. So, unless you travelled to the SCG the next year, or went to opposition games to boo him, or you’re the sort of wanker who boos at a TV… then it’s unlikely anybody posting in this thread “continued” to boo him after he said it was bothering him.

16 Likes

Hmmm… hope that wasn’t partially directed this way.

I may not have agreed with some of your hypotheticals on this thread, but someone as considered as you have been on this topic, ain’t no racist, that’s for sure.

No, the person that was directed at knows exactly who he is.

I don’t dislike Adam Goodes.
This isn’t the first time I’ve said it, but it seems it needs repeating, I greatly respect his off-field work.

My antagonism, such as it is, in this thread is against those who truly believe that a lot of little lies are okay in the pursuit of the big truth.

I have a big ■■■■■■■ problem with them.

3 Likes

Wim and Diggers current argument.

1 Like

At least I’m aware of it.

1 Like

I’m not arguing with anyone. We all abide by our own moral codes.

Never given it a thought but on the whole I’ll only boo for an incident at the time such as Pendlebury on ANZAC Day. Next time we play them I wouldn’t feel the need to boo him because the incident has passed. The only one I continue to boo is Ryder and if he came out and said it affected him and it was making him think of quitting I’d boo the kent even harder

1 Like

I think the way this occured was:

• Goodes got booed for a combination of staging, being dirty and getting away with it, like every other star player that appears to get favorable treatment from the umpires and tribunal have in history.
  • The booing increased when he called it racist, which it wasn’t initially and neglected to self reflect on why people were really booing him.
  • Then the media and all the do gooders jumped on board (also a lot of non football lefties, cate blanchett etc. ffs).
  • People got ■■■■■■ off that they were being labelled racist and wouldn’t be told to shutup by the social engineering types that had no idea of the initial reasons for the booing.
  • Goodes then pointed out a 13 yr old girl, i think a lot of people think a 13 yr old wouldn’t know the word ape is a racist word, but understandable goodes getting upset by that.
  • Then the spear incident as things were settling down, directed right at the carlton fans, ■■■■■■ people off because it was seen as confrontational and baiting.
  • Goodes said he was affected by the booing, i think this is the time people should have thought in a similar line to bullying, it’s up to the receiver to decide if they feel it is bullying or not, similar should be applied to racism. I would have liked to have seen it stop here, but understand people were fed up by the media and politicians telling them why they were booing which made the mob grow louder.

In the end i feel bad for goodes and understand if growing up in a racist society that he would naturally gravitate towards criticism of himself having those undertones, i think though that the overwhelming majority didn’t boo him for racist motives. In the end it became a bit ugly because it took on a form of bullying that was affecting him mentally and unfortunately history and the media will re-write it into something else.

16 Likes

Depends on the situation. For Ryder most definitely, if the scumbag was forced into retirement tomorrow I’d rejoice