Adam Goodes Documentary

Part of the problem with this rewriting of history is that it’s too soon.
People remember what happened.

So here’s another couple of things that happened.

Goodes was being booed for things he did onfield.
And then Sydney went to play West Coast.
That was a turning point.
Everyone knows West Australians love a boo more than anyone, but they had no reason whatsoever to boo Goodes.
But they did.
Start to finish with no provocation whatsoever.
That game, more than any other, contributed to all this bullshit.

It wasn’t booing pointing out a child, or antagonising the crowd, or sniping or faking, it was just booing Goodes.

So a little acknowledgement of that fact would go a long way to me not getting ■■■■■■ with a couple of West Australians in here now deflecting a lot of blame.

And as to Nicky Winmar.
There were two headlines the next day.
One said ‘I’m black and I’m proud.’
The other said ‘How good am I?’

And the one that got it wrong was absolutely pilloried.

1 Like

West Australian’s are also giant fkn racists. Gotta rival Queenslanders.

3 Likes

Peter Fitzsimmons hosted a doco called The Great Australian Race Riot. I think you can stream it via SBS. Collective displays of let’s say disenchantment is in the blood.

I don’t believe Goodes was being noticeably booed prior to 2013. He was after. Not just here but over there, too. And up there, down there also…

What is your point though Wim?

That the booing was entirely just empty?

To me, THAT statement of "however - it is abundantly clear that a good proportion of those who booed did so with racist undertones" is exactly what’s wrong with this story, as well as a large portion of society and all this virtue signalling. Do you think people get sick of being told what to think? How to think? How they should be feeling? Why they should feel a certain way? When they voice an opinion, they get howled down with "yeh but this is how you REALLY feel and this is what you’re REALLY saying’.

I never attended a game that Goodes was playing, so did I boo him? No. Would I have? Yeh for sure, the same way I booed Jamie Elliott at Anzac day a few years back. I don’t like Goodes on field play. Never have. I think standing up for what he believes in off field should be commended, flying the flag for the causes he wants to fly the flag for I don’t have an issue with. But because I don’t like his on field play;

You’re a racist.

No I’m not.

Rinse and repeat.

RACISM - prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

I don’t feel that way about Goodes, I’ve followed AFL for 39 years and no one I’ve ever spoken to in the past 16-17 years have said they don’t like Goodes because of his race, (although I’m sure there are some that dont), its always to do you with his on field antics. It actually annoys me that he won two best and fairest awards. He’s an unbelievably talented player, but he’s never been the fairest.

Now, your/societys response to that is that I’m wrong and that I’m racist and that I have an undertone of racism to my opinion and that I’m just as racist as everyone else and racism is rife within me. So;

You’re a racist.

No I’m not.

Rinse and repeat.

Part of me that really gets riled up by this is the fact that the AFL drive this outrageous bandwagon that THEY are the upholders of morality and that I should fall into line with the barrow they are pushing regarding the matter. I’m not going to be dictated to by a corrupt bunch of overpaid slack jawed morons about what I SHOULD be thinking and how I should be feeling. I’ll just think for myself.

Your/societys response to that? Yes you are racist, just because you say you’re not doesn’t mean anything, it’s the racist undertones that exist in your words.

I believe it’s possible, to not like Adam Goodes and also not be a racist.

You’re a racist.

No I’m not.

Rinse and repeat.

I like Charlie Cameron, but not Adam Goodes. I like Liam Ryan, but not Lindsay Thomas. I like Greg Inglis but never cared much for Justin Hodges. I like Jess Mauboys songs, but won’t be racing out to buy any of her records. Here’s a weird one, I deadset LOVE Latrell Mitchell when he’s in a blues jersey but can’t stand him wearing a Roosters jersey. I’m so confused.

All just my opinion, but I’m sure someone will try to correct it.

14 Likes

That’s a good summary.

If this was a completely different discussion.

1 Like

Spot on.

I have so many.

Broadly though, it’s that the Adam Goodes story is one worth telling.
Honestly.
Dispassionately.
Without fear or favour.
Accepting that unfortunate truths are indeed unfortunate but still, indeed true.

If, one day, someone decides to tell that story then I will be the first in line to watch it.

I do not believe that’s the case with any of the three that have been made.

I believe they have been made by people exactly like Ant.

There’s one more little fartbomb I could drop on this whole thing.
But I won’t.
Out of respect for someone who I…more often than not believe deserves it.

But I do hope they know what it is and know that I’m not.

That’s fine.

Do you believe you also speak for all those that went along a booed?

Those that also attacked him on social media with outright racist slurs?

Those in the media who misrepresented him for their own agenda?

The Aboriginal people in the crowd?

How far do you believe your own opinion should reach across others or are you simply representing yourself as someone who wasn’t a part of it all?

Social media outright racist slurs is racism.
Booing a player on the footy field for untoward footy related acts is not racism.

Interesting. I would put forward that all those who feel strongly probably feel there’s multiple versions of the story to be told.

Would be interested in hearing your preferred version.

Happy to speak on behalf of the Collingwood and west coast etc crowds? Or just ours?

You find me one that mentions Goodes said he was fine with the booing, and I’ll watch it.

He mentioned it didn’t bother him early in last night’s one. Obviously showed a change over time though

I think I made that pretty clear when I concluded it with ‘just my opinion’. I know there’s definitely people that agree with me, I know there’s definitely people that will ram ‘you’re a racist’ down my throat.

As I said, rinse and repeat.

Why? You weren’t there, right?

Really?
Well maybe I’ve harshly judged.
Does it place that comment before or after the ape comments?

huh?

Can’t recall the detail.

Felt it was early on though.