Adam Goodes Documentary

A lot of people on here saying they booed but they weren’t being racist. Honestly I think this is quite naive. Yes the bloke became a bit of a flog and people booed him because of that. BUT it eventually became known that Adam felt the booing was racially vilifying. From this point onward, the booing had to stop. But it didn’t, and people continued booing even though they knew Adam felt it was racist - imo after that point on, regardless of intent, the action becomes racist because the person booing knows Adam will take it as a racist insult but continue to do it anyway.

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out how I felt and that’s pretty much a nutshell entered for me.

1 Like

He was not booed for being indigenous but because he was uppity indigenous.

3 Likes

So it wasn’t racist until he thought it became racist? Well ■■■■, let the offended dictate the criteria, see how that goes

1 Like

I think that’s how it does go mostly.

There are parallels with sexists/sexual comments/advances etc.

We have just seen them play out more I’d suggest.

I don’t think any guys in here would run after a woman jogging at night to hit on her even though our intentions may not have any malice. We’d know how that would be received. Can we do the same for racism or do we have to fight for the right to do whatever and justify later?

If you know an action makes someone feel racially vilified but do it to them anyway then are you being racist?

imo yes of course, but I guess you’re entitled to your own opinion…

1 Like

So if you are offended by something it automatically trumps the other person’s right to say it?
Slippery slope

1 Like

That’s racist.

7 Likes

Doesn’t trump there right to say the insult - but if they say it knowing it will offend the other person they’re just being a w*nker.

In my opinion same goes with the booing -not saying you can’t do it just that when you know it will make Goodes feel racial villified and continue to boo it becomes racist.

On a side note I am very interested in this topic - good to have a place to openly discuss it

It is a very vexed topic for me. I boo-ed Goodes at that game vs Swans, and I am not normally a boo-er; he just really pizzed me off that night with his antics.

However it seems time changes everything and what was Ok or normal back in the day is not now, just like Goodes saying at the time that the boo-ing was OK and he took it as a compliment or something like that.

When I was a kid with lots of Italian and Greek friends, who regularly called each other names and wog and dago were “normal”, as were “poofter” and others. No-one seemed hurt or defiled . A very good Mate who had a dark complexion was called Sambo and that was the name everyone knew him by. He played 96 games for the Bombers and the Sambo nickname persisted.

Today all these childhood “mates” relate now, how hurtful these names were; so I ask why the fark didn’t you tell us at the time. You cannot change bad behaviour if you do not know it to be bad.

Just stopped by for the casual racism and jingoist white privilage. Didnt disappoint.

1 Like

Your last point is perfect. The fact this thread hasn’t burned down shows the fact it is good to have this sort of discussion.

And the beauty of your first point is you are 100% correct, if you continue to do something and be a wanker, thats a wanker in the eyes of some not all.

The idea that I’m being told I’m racist cause I booed I find abhorrent and an easy way out of the real argument which is suppressing speech

3 Likes

I find it amazing that so many people are so repeatedly and passionately defending the booing in here.

Public people who are the most passionate defenders of the booing are: Alan Jones, Sam Newman, Steve Price, Miranda Devine; Rita Panahi, Eddie McGuire, Mark Latham and Andrew farking Bolt.

I mean if someone tells me that all of the above people hold one particular view, I can automatically assume that view is completely wrong and probably a bit racist, right? And that assumption could be pretty safely made without even knowing the issue!

4 Likes

EYE

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

1 Like

Isn’t it essentially a list of people who stuck up for EFC during the saga?

1 Like

That well known Essendon defender, Eddie McGuire! Don’t think I didn’t include him for exactly that reason!

1 Like

Well yeah, but take Eddie out and it reads like a Bruce Francis email chain.

I think the point still stands. (I.e the opinion of those listed people is irrelevant to this, or any issue)

1 Like

Yes, very early on. Week leading to our game v Chickens. Goodes said the Ess players under suspicion should not be allowed to play. This coupled with his dive to get free on siren in game in previous year got him booed that week. One of first times I recall that he was booed with commentary about it - Fairfax articles then appeared that it was wrong for Ess fans to boo “Australian of Year”. Although this was a bit before the continuous booing every game started, and he was not booed as much in next Ess game I think.

Rita Panahi (big Hawthorn fan) was anti EFC and anti Hird as well - it was first time I found out who she was.

1 Like

Nope, only defending why they booed on one particular day. I do not recall Goodes being booed at subsequent Bomber games.

1 Like