Adam Goodes Documentary

When one calls out on oppression towards a group, one is a hero.

When a member of a group calls out on oppression, they are a sook and ungrateful.

As a minority myself, it’s always been like this. I get discriminated almost on a daily basis, intentional and unintentional. When I call them out on it, they get defensive. Most of you are just being unnecessarily defensive.

If you booed him without the intention to be a racist, that is fine, but when you know there are racists who want to boo and give him sht, you stop that sht - you don’t always need to exercise your privilege to boo

Racism will always exist on this earth but it can be handled better. Continuing to boo him even if the intention isn’t racist is not helpful for anyone, it is that simple.

5 Likes

You have got to be kidding me? you are all kinds of special aren’t you?
So the word “wog” justifies people booing me because of my actions on the footy field but if you’re Adam goodes it’s racist?

What’s a race card and how does one play it.

Is it like real life magic the gathering. I can get some super stat bonus that makes me win.

1 Like

I believe it works more like a “Draw Four” in Uno. Except to play it you have to have previously had all of your cards, land, culture, language and children taken away from you. The rules also state that upon playing the card you are immediately subjected to an “ingratitude” penalty. Draw eight cards.

8 Likes

Ah “the know your place, boy” card.

2 Likes

I am as opposed to The Ant’s view as I am to those in complete denial.
The only wrong position here is an absolute one.

5 Likes

I hate to be pedantic and spoil the high value of debate and discussion here but it’s FELL.

3 Likes

I’m gonna boo that now because I’m a racist

There is another example of this. Lindsay Thomas.

Jun 29, 2018 - carlton fans booed lindsay thomas .
Jun 8, 2015 - Last week Collingwood fans booed Lindsay Thomas
Mar 20, 2016 - I’ve booed Lindsay Thomas when he took dives for frees
May 16, 2015 - Not only did Thomas’ free kicks draw boos from Essendon fans at …
May 27, 2016 - … Lindsay Thomas sparks fan fury over high contact free kicks

Racist?

Plenty of opposition supporters booed the ■■■■ out of Lloydy as well.

Given Selwood never gets booed and is far worse, perhaps not completely but also maybe a little?

Edit: And even in that, there are shades of grey. Selwood is seen as a ‘tough’ footballer, despite creating free kicks for himself. Thomas absolutely was not seen as that.
Selwood also was not seen as a guy to take cheap shots at other players, and I think you could argue that Thomas was.

It’s not all one thing.

1 Like

1 Like

Barry Cable dyed his hair, Wanganeen chose not to go public for the racial abuse flung at him (WCE players were among the worst); Winmar and Long chose to take a stand.
When did the booing of Goodes take off? It cannot be totally separated from previous abuse of him because of his race. I see the booing as a tipping point.

1 Like

Again, I think the examples you provided indicate that he was booed because of his diving antics, I know that’s why I couldn’t stand him.

I’m sure that West Coast fans are individually quite average intellectually, but as a collective they are very friggin’ stupid.
They have a culture of booing.
Anything.
Doesn’t matter what.
And when Goodes came to play over there it was just, oh…we’re booing Goodes now.
And that was all they needed.

Do I think some of those boos were racist?
Again, hell yes.
There are still racists in every AFL crowd.
People who will say the most terrible things, the sort of things they would never dare to say in polite company.
But they are a tiny, tiny minority.
And to say they are the majority of people who booed is just flat out wrong.
It’s a lie. A damnable lie.

But that’s not to say Goodes didn’t feel it was racist. That he was being persecuted.
I’m sure he believed that.

Again, it’s friggin’ complex.

He’s was a gun player. Saw him live in the 2006 GF and he did beautifully against Dean Cox as an undersized ruck. Just awesome. 30 more seconds and he would have won the game for Sydney. That he now hates football is an indictment on all of us.

1 Like

Actually could be both!

Did you hate Matthew Lloyd.

I’m gonna watch the doco with an open mind and be empathetic to his stance. Even though like you said the majority of people wouldn’t boo because they are racist and if it does exist it is a very small minority. If he does truly believe it was racial then it will be intriguing to see why he believes that to be the case.

If he played for another team I probably would of. Hence why he was booed a lot by the opposition. Are you asking me that because he’s a white man and you want to know if I will give a different response?