Adam Goodes Documentary

Essendon fans are the worst ( lol)
This year we booed:
Champion Player: Luke Hodge everytime he went near the ball. Why: Because he is Luke Hodge.
Champion Player: Gary Ablett. everytime he went near the ball. Why. Because the AFL said not to and he is a sniper.
Champion Player: Scott Pendlebury when he got up to speak. Why. Anger because of the umpiring.
Umpires: Every time 30000-40000 Essendon fans reckon the umps make a mistake. Why. Built up anger at the clubs failure to live up to preseason hype.

Its not like Goodes was the only person to ever be booed on a footy field and there are many reasons. There was probably a racist element in it and probably in the Lindsay Thomas case as well.

Actually, Cable didn’t dye his hair. He was naturally blond. Got it from his mum apparently.

So you were not there when he used the lemon juice ?

He was booed in Perth for no apparent reason, though.
Booing Goodes became a thing.
His war dance directly at opposition (Carlton?) fans was…unhelpful.

I don’t know how he meant it.
I remember he said at the time that a kid taught him the dance that same morning, and my foggy memory tells me that he didn’t mean it to be inflammatory.
But farkin’ 'ell.

Do you really get to say, ‘oh, why are they booing me? It’s because I’m black, isn’t it.’ after (meaningfully or not) confronting the crowd like that?

2 Likes

Do we really get to say “it was just people booing him”?.. when people racially abused him in the crowd multiple times and compared to an ape in the media?

2 Likes

Do you get the Eddie defence?
“I did not mean to offend you - and if I did, I’m sorry”

Every country has racism.
Doesn’t make it right or excusable but it’s ridiculous to call out Australia as being goldmedal winners in this competition.

Geez go spend time across Asia and get to know the locals. Find out how fondly the Filipinos talk of the Japanese & the Chinese. How much the Thai’s love the Russians. How much the Vietnamese love the French. In saying that how many cultures speak fondly of the French.

It’s not only whitey that sings the racial blues. When working in FNQ for a few years I met wonderful First Nations people, and I also met some in Rockhampton that out and out ■■■■■■■ hated every white person regardless of who they were.

Rightfully the VFL/AFL, and broader society, have drastically changed the tone of the horrible racial filth that came out of the mouths of the minority of dirtbag supporters at games. If anyone dared say anything these days the Cops or security would be called immediately and the general public will make it ■■■■■■ clear that speech like that is totally unacceptable.

For what it’s worth I’ve never minded Adam Goodes the person. Always comes across as intelligent when he speaks and good on him for supporting his people. But I couldn’t stand the guy as a player. He was an absolute sook to the umpires. The amount of times he staged for frees with his arms raised whinging for free’s was so over the top. He could ■■■■■■ play, but that was a blight on his game.

I didn’t see him play live in the latter stages of his career. So can’t comment on whether the general consensus of the booing was racially motivated or not, but I’m confident in my clarity that I thought he was an annoying player 15 ■■■■■■ years ago and remember booing the ■■■■ out of him one night at Etihad which had to be 10 plus years ago.
To me he’s very much like Dangerfield. A great player who I like listening to off the field, but get pretty riled up at their staging and over the top sooking to the umps at times.

2 Likes

Well, yes, we do.
Because I’m talking about individual incidents and you’re talking about the vibe.

Eddie said some stupid racist stuff.
Fact.
Also fact: Richo wouldn’t have a bar of it.
Also fact: Eddie was universally condemned for those comments.

I am not, ever, saying, it was just people booing him.
I have given reasons why people were booing him.
Now if you don’t want to be a ■■■■, you could perhaps address those reasons if you want to quote me.

“‘If they’re going to get upset by taunts, then they shouldn’t be playing. We’re men, we’re not kids. It’s no different calling a bloke a black ■■■■■■■ than him calling me a white honky, and it only lasts as long as the game. And listen, any bloke in the history of footy who was a dead-set winner will tell you the same, they’ll do anything they can to win.’’

How many of you guys side with the genius Of Tony Shaw?

1 Like

How many of you want to lump anyone with a considered opinion with dickheads like Tony Shaw because it’s convenient to you, and hey, beats thinking.

One, so far.

1 Like

Na your right, I’d forgotten about Lloydy getting booed. He kinda was disliked by other clubs.

1 Like

Is that why his hair was ginger?

What a load of utter sh*t. You link 250 years of “persecution and cruelty” with the booing of a idiot, and applaud him for having the guts to call it racist? FMD

People like you are the problem. Thats his problem if he takes it as racist, not ours. It shows how deluded he is, how arrogant and attention seeking he also is. Act like a flog, get booed, then cry racism? LOL

Well if being racist is booing a player because he’s a flog and i dont like him, then im a fucken racist

6 Likes

Ok.

Maybe Adam, personally, is fine with individual people booing him for their own reasons?

Maybe it’s living in a country with this “vibe”? that he has a problem with and that’s the bigger issue?

I just recall reading he got his ginger-blond hair from his aboriginal mum, and assumed it was like the blond hair you see on some indigenous kids, which never went darker. (incidentally, my son is 1/4 Chinese, started with bleached-white hair which slowly darkened -you’d have called him blond at 10-12; now it’s dark brown).
Cable and Syd Jackson were two of my favourite non Essendon players when I was a kid.

Maybe nobody ever said anything like that and you’re being a jerk and arguing with yourself?
Maybe.

Edit: Look, I don’t have a problem with you having a personal opinion.
You should feel free to state it.
But if it has nothing to do with anything I’ve said, and it friggin’ doesn’t, then don’t quote me.
Jerk.

Maybe I just have more faith in my friends family and people I deal with on a daily basis then others.

I suppose you’re right that I cant know, but that goes both ways.

Heres my opinion…

• There is racism in football, and I would like to see it eradicated
  • Goodes was rightfully open to criticism because of his actions not his colour
  • Garry Ablett Jnr was rightfully open to criticism because of his actions not his colour
  • If people didn’t boo Goodes there would have still been racism in football.
  • Claiming everyone who boo’d Goodes is a racist is akin to assigning stereotypes to different races
  • People booing Goodes is not proof of racism in football
  • There are better examples/proof of racism in football than people booing Goodes
  • Having special rules (e.g. can’t boo) for indigenous people can cause division rather than reconciliation.
  • Part of the problem was that Goodes never acknowledged that their were parts of his game that people didn’t like. Instead, the people booing him for poor play were simply labelled racists, which caused them to boo more - which gave the racists an even bigger “booing-vehicle”.
10 Likes

I support Adam.

2 Likes

If I can ask this question as neutrally as possible…
Was Goodes booed in his last few games?
My recollection is that he wasn’t, but my recollection isn’t what it could be.

And I will suggest that he was pretty cooked at that stage.
That’s not a criticism. He had a great and very long career.
I’m just wondering about the ‘booed out of the game’ thing.

I appreciate that it could have affected him personally to the point where he just said, screw this, but I don’t think his body had another year in him anyway.

Just a question.
Happy to be corrected.