Afl announcement at 10 oclock

Fitzpatrick doing his full spiel.

Montage of what AD has done for the AFL.

CSycSgd.jpg

Just be grateful he is gone

Yeah. Nah. End of the year. Fark. Want him gone NOW!

Gillon Mclachlan would be worse than Demetriou.

He has proven himself to be out of his depth in the role.

Yep. No Gilligan please.

Nah stuff em, I want Gilligan in that role. He will run the code into the ground and then the rest can see how moronic they are.

Hopefully he was "pushed" by the investigation into ASADA.

Didn’t mention the creation of the Witch-hunt division.

This is justice.

He may have had the brand's name at heart at the start.

But once you start covering up and ruining people's lives to smooth your brand protection you become a bad person and a corrupt person.

Yeah - good point.

I think he genuinely tried to do the right thing at the start (ie - protect the players), but somewhere along the line it became about him, and he confused his reputation with the reputation of the competition and its clubs.

It will not be easy explaining why there were multiple OHS (safe work environment) breaches at a club under his watch.

Andrew, why weren't there specific guidelines for supplement use in the AFL?

Andrew, why wasn't there follow up on Essendon once you became aware they were pursuing a supplement program?

Andrew, are you aware that it is 2014, and supplement programs are in use in virtually every high-profile sport in the world?

Andrew, have you heard of sports science?

Andrew, why do you think Tennis Australia should hire you?

That was the day James Hird told ASADA "Andrew called David while we were at his place and said the feces is about to hit the fan"

From that moment it became about making James Hird the scapegoat, irrespective of whether the club had done anything wrong or not. Because in making that call, Demetriou broke the law, where as the footballers were potentially, maybe, possibly breaking the rules of a sport.

Yeah, I reckon you're probably right. 

Once his name became involved, it seems he became indignant - probably because he believed he had tried to do the right thing by EFC (by allegedly alerting Evans) and suddenly the EFC (when they realised they were about to be penetrated sans lube) dropped his name as part of our defence.

Indignation (if unaddressed) almost always leads to hatred.

It would be hard to argue that Demetriou acted objectively once he became implicated.

No, I think he didn't want to go to jail.

So he constructed a media campaign where James Hird was the bad guy, and the AFL was "doing everything to protect the integrity of the game", which, for all intents and purposes, had the opposite effect to the purported agenda.

Brem06. No to be fair, it wasn't EFC who dropped his name. It was Hird.

I don't think AD had Hird done and dusted from the get go. I think he formed that opinion after a month or two and had seen a list some of the substances administered. I think he decided legal or not. This is a PR nightmare.

The problem with that is that it doesn't take into consideration legal but other ugly sounding programs run at other clubs and its a selective scapegoat media management approach.

Yep. Sorry Dodga, my bad. I was thinking Hird when I said EFC... forgivable offence?

Mero - I agree also - there was a certain amount of fear for his own future from AD. But I still think there was some sort of self-righteous indignation that became very evident in his character once he became implicated. Arrogance - yes, but then he's always been arrogant. 

And now a press conference to announce this is his last year? Who is he, Steve Waugh?

Didn't mention the creation of the Witch-hunt division.

Think that is that the Integrity Unit was about. Everybody is subject to it.

Out damned spot! Out I say.1,2  Why then? Tis time to do it.  Hell is murky!

And he is gone :) !

Adios.

The news that he'll continue as a lame duck for the rest of the season is not compensation enough for having to see his stupid, fat head on tv at work.

Leaves the game with no regrets?  Bullsh*t! 

What did they say about the EFC thing, please? 

Will be remembered negatively. As Mero said, he had a say in the TV rights but that was mainly to do with Channel 9 at the time.

We have too many teams

Failed transition of NM to GC (didn't even have a home ground I believe)

The drugs saga

Continually covering up drug problem/culture in AFL

The leaks regarding the drug saga

Constant rule changes

back flips on rule changes (speed the game up, then slow the game down)

I'm sure there are others ill get to later

Leaves the game with no regrets?  Bullsh*t! 

His pay went up more than any other sports admin person in the country, of course he has no regrets

You’ve completely buggered the game Andy,lost the trust & respect of fans & your handling of our saga was akin to a game of Russian roulette.

Is that Caro weeping in the background??

Press conference needs a flash mob.

Oh I remember

"James Hird is not getting paid, I will take that to my grave"

yep, James Hird was getting paid and was approved by the AFL. Had no control on what was happening the last 2-3 years.