AFL Feedback Thread

Dear AFL,

Matthew Nicholls.

He’s your most senior and experienced umpire in the game today?

Really!!?.. You carnts serious?

FMD!!!

Yours sincerely,
BillyBewick.

I do like the AFL’s idea to have a tourist umpire last nights game.

There is no way that number 13 had ever seen or possibly even heard of AFL football before he walked out on to the ground. The free kicks he gave away, and the blatant ones he let go, were bewildering.

What country was he from, and will the idea continue in coming weeks?

Mike Fitzpatrick exists!

Excerpts from his statement this evening, from http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-03/mike-fitzpatrick-statement-on-adam-goodes

The booing of Adam Goodes may or may not have begun for other reasons, but the AFL Commission is of the view that this is about race and cannot be condoned at our games.

But can’t be condemned, apparently, even at this late stage.

In the early 2000s, I was invited to toss the coin at a Carlton/Swans game. I stood next to Adam Goodes in the centre of the ground at Princes Park. I remember assessing how I would have gone against him - he was a wonderful athlete in his prime, tall, strong and agile, emanating controlled aggression and a hint of menace.

It’s good he didn’t say the black man was dangerous.

Mike Fitzpatrick exists!

Excerpts from his statement this evening, from http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-03/mike-fitzpatrick-statement-on-adam-goodes

The booing of Adam Goodes may or may not have begun for other reasons, but the AFL Commission is of the view that this is about race and cannot be condoned at our games.

But can’t be condemned, apparently, even at this late stage.

In the early 2000s, I was invited to toss the coin at a Carlton/Swans game. I stood next to Adam Goodes in the centre of the ground at Princes Park. I remember assessing how I would have gone against him - he was a wonderful athlete in his prime, tall, strong and agile, emanating controlled aggression and a hint of menace.

It’s good he didn’t say the black man was dangerous.

The sheer arrogance from Fitzpatrick is staggering.

For him to think that anyone, ANYONE would give any sort of ■■■■ about anything he would have to say about any topic.

There are no words.

So Fitzpatrick makes a statement on behalf of the AFL Commission regarding Goodes - A mere 9 days after the event - Seems to be a coincidence that the statement comes out just after Chip’s article saying that there was a division in the AFL Commission as to whether the booing of Goodes was racially motivated - Chip rungs rings around the AFL.

The AFL is going to play 4 field umps in Queensland this week and given no real team will be playing hope no one notices they don’t even pretend to obey the laws of the game. It’s knee-jerk rubbish like this that make you look like you really don’t have a plan for the development/image of the game.

The AFL is going to play 4 field umps in Queensland this week and given no real team will be playing hope no one notices they don’t even pretend to obey the laws of the game. It’s knee-jerk rubbish like this that make you look like you really don’t have a plan for the development/image of the game.
Will boost the crowd by about 20%

Pressure is now finally on the AFL commission.

Think what you like of Hird as coach, his resilience is stunning. How many saga-involved parties will be out of their job and he still managed to keep his!

I made a reference to Gillon McLachlan and Spyglass shares in another forum, and was questioned about it.
Having searched for a number of hours, I can find no reference to it whatsoever.
What I know was ASIC investigated his sale of Spyglass shares to Robert Dickson two weeks before Spyglass went into voluntary administration, owing $26 million to creditors.
This was at a time when Rene Rivkin, celebrated stock broker was jailed for nine months for selling shares ‘on a tip’.
Spyglass were the company set up by Hamish McLachlan, hereafter referred to as (Gillon’s Idiot Brother) to run the AFL Hall of Fame and Sensation.
ASIC investigated the, case and found there was a case to answer.
However, Andrew Demetriou signed a statutory declaration to the effect that he had instructed Gillon to sell his shares as he felt there may have been a conflict of interest.
Essentially this stat dec kept Gillon out of jail.
This occurred in 2004. The internet existed. Not one search returned anything more than one mention of Gillon’s Idiot Brother, and then only to announce him as doing his footy show back when he first got the gig.

Seriously, the American government should come over and take notes from these blokes.

I made a reference to Gillon McLachlan and Spyglass shares in another forum, and was questioned about it. Having searched for a number of hours, I can find no reference to it whatsoever. What I know was ASIC investigated his sale of Spyglass shares to Robert Dickson two weeks before Spyglass went into voluntary administration, owing $26 million to creditors. This was at a time when Rene Rivkin, celebrated stock broker was jailed for nine months for selling shares 'on a tip'. Spyglass were the company set up by Hamish McLachlan, hereafter referred to as (Gillon's Idiot Brother) to run the AFL Hall of Fame and Sensation. ASIC investigated the, case and found there was a case to answer. However, Andrew Demetriou signed a statutory declaration to the effect that he had instructed Gillon to sell his shares as he felt there may have been a conflict of interest. Essentially this stat dec kept Gillon out of jail. This occurred in 2004. The internet existed. Not one search returned anything more than one mention of Gillon's Idiot Brother, and then only to announce him as doing his footy show back when he first got the gig.

Seriously, the American government should come over and take notes from these blokes.

Are we sure that Hamish, and not Gill is the idiot brother?

Hamish made one ■■■■-up on a bit of dodgy dealing, then disappeared for a few years and now asks inane questions of children. Gillon made one ■■■■-up, then another, then another…

Is there any other sport around that will change rules during the season, have umpires focus on different things each week and use the season to test out new things? What a joke.

I reckon the Sydney/Colless/Fitzpatrick/Buddy saga just underlines everything that’s wrong with the AFL

Make rules, and publish rules.
Then when someone uses those rules?
HOW DARE YOU YOU F&#*ING BUNCH OF #&^!s

And punish them.
For following new rules that they created, and they published

Classic.

Is there any other sport around that will change rules during the season, have umpires focus on different things each week and use the season to test out new things? What a joke.

I find it hilarious when people start patting the umpires on the back for ‘letting the play go’. So we’re happy that umpires are now just IGNORING rules? If that’s the case, get rid of the rules you want ignored.

No one has read or cared about the rules for years (e.g. read the section on who may touch the ball after it goes out of bounds and realise how often umpires have to actively ignore a badly-written rule).

And that’s the formal written “settled” laws of the game, not the murky overlay of “interpretations”.

I find it hilarious when people start patting the umpires on the back for ‘letting the play go’. So we’re happy that umpires are now just IGNORING rules? If that’s the case, get rid of the rules you want ignored.

This has always been the biggest problem with the AFL writing the rules. Rather than changing the rules, they just ignore them, and then arbitrarily pay a couple of them a year. Then when they decide that too many infringements are being let go, so they bring in a new rule.

We need to get over the “ZOMG STOP CHANGING THE RULES” whinge.
All sports change rules. NFL change rules most years. Basketball change rules, baseball, etc. Association football not so much, bit more conservative, but that’s a much older, much more mature sport.

Fitzpatrick is as haughty as you would expect the Queen to be. But he is above even giving out an annual Christmas message and is never seen even giving a royal wave.

No, I suspect he believes he has the status of a demigod, but now we know for sure in fact he embodies a partisan malevolence that is probably only displayed to his minions, the club presidents individually.

The only fear he might have is if all the club presidents get together to depose him. But he knows they are a rabble.

For once, the clubs need to get together , depose him, and demonstrate that the clubs own the AFL. It should not be the other way around.

1 Like

Remember the theatrics for holding the ball? The pause in the crowd before a huge chorus of “BALL”. The exaggerated bow of the umpire about to signal it. I miss that - i have no farking idea about that rule now.

And what about players putting the ball down tunnel ball style. When did they get rid of incorrect disposal rule? Is it even a rule now???

So a couple of weeks ago according to the AFL, 3 umpires in all games paid too many free kicks, what are 4 umpires supposed to do?

So a couple of weeks ago according to the AFL, 3 umpires in all games paid too many free kicks, what are 4 umpires supposed to do?

They can feel good about not paying the free, thanks to confirmation bias.

Another idiot idea from idiot pushers of stupidity:

THE Prime Minister’s indigenous adviser wants AFL teams to perform a traditional Aboriginal war dance before matches, much like the Maori Haka.

Warren Mundine says the idea is aimed at sharing indigenous culture and would not be divisive if all players got involved.

“One thing about the Haka is it’s performed by non-Maori New Zealanders as well as Maori-New Zealanders and they come together and share this cultural experience,” Mundine told ABC Radio.

It comes after Mundine stung the AFL over its “weak” stance against the racial abuse directed at Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes.