All Things Podcast

I always listen via ABC site, but it doesn’t appear to be able to be subscribed to through there, other than to subscribe Via mugtunes, … so unfortunately she’ll have to go w/out a subscription from moi, coz I definitely aint signing up to anything crApple

Listened to it today.

If only all judges we’re like that one.

1 Like

■■■■ me mate, just learn how to google ■■■■■■■ subscriptions, you’re not special with your weird boycott rants.

Really looking forward to this podcast

Last voyage of the Pong Su. North Korean drug running ship.

@coldblood might know some of the locals interviewed, some of them sound familiar…

https://www.theage.com.au/national/new-investigative-podcast-launches-soon-the-last-voyage-of-the-pong-su-20190925-p52unz.html

Listening to Bear Brook at the moment.

It’s a yank version of our Snowtown.

Great - so far.

I’ve been rocking out listening to Double J’s documentary of the history of the Big Day Out. It’s been fantastic.

I listened to episode 3 last night. It was a tough one to get through. It went into detail regarding the death of Jessica Michalik who died during the infamous Limp Biscuit set in Sydney. They had Jessica’s best friend give an in-depth commentary of their day and how much fun they were having as a group of 16 year old girls, then heart breakingly went into detail about the incident.

It was an extremely emotional episode. But a very good one.

It also raised a heap of facts about moving from the 1990’s (and prior) with large events being all in good fun and being relaxed to safety measure for audience enjoyment… to a new age, post-2000, of risk aversion, risk management and extensive safety measures.

2 Likes

The D Barrier was the beginning of the end for large scale music festivals.

Nah, that’s quite not right.
They all had a huge boom in popularity when the Aussie dollar was up against the greenback, and died in the ■■■■ again when that dropped back off.

In 2000, there were roughly 2 big music festivals, then there was a boom leading to about 9262 in 2010, and we’re back to about 3 now.

Harvest, Future, Stereosonic, Soundwave, Sunmadayze, Livid, Push On… all started after 2001, and huge for 5 or 10 years, and all gone now.

1 Like

Yeah, fair point. Although you padded out your stats a little. Both Livid and Push started in the 80’s, and Livid was done by 2003.

I probably should have said rock festivals. Dance festivals didn’t have the same concerns with giant moshpits (they were too concerned about sniffer dogs) so the D Barrier wasn’t an issue.

Soundwave is the very obvious exception here, I agree with that. But even then… First few I went to had the T Barrier (which was much better) but the last couple had the D barrier back in action, and it was worse for it.

Anyone got any good AFL podcasts?

I follow most of the Essendon ones (The Sash, The lunchtime catch up, The essential listen), i assume.

I’ve lived overseas for the past 4 years and i rarely get to talk footy, need some supplements to satiate my needs!

I think it was mentioned in here miles back, but ‘The greatest Season That Was’ is a good one, first season was on 1993. They are doing 1999 now from a cricket perspective which I haven’t listened to, but the 1993 one was good.

The Herald Sun’s ‘Sacked’ podcast was surprisingly interesting, it interviews ex coaches about their sackings, including Sheeds.

There’s a stack more, but a lot are sort of in-season weekly review type things.

2 Likes

As Peos said above 2 best

1993 season that was

Sacked

Road to the draft is good around draft time too. (Cal Twomey)

Conan needs a friend has some great laughs.

The Dollop episode on Burke and Wills is well worth the listen. That story has far more absurd twists and turns than most Aussies know.

1 Like

They’ve also done a six-parter on the failed Fitzroy/Footscray merger

Another great podcast. They get a lot out of their subjects.

Loving the Conan one.

I’ve recently read Peter Fitzsimons’ book on B&W. And yeah, there’s sooooo much to it that I had never learned about.

Latest two that I’m in to are The Rewatchables (looking at movies to see how well they hold up) and How Did This Get Made (three very funny comedians pay out on crap movies).

As someone else listening overseas I can highly recommend Footyology with Rohan Connolly and Mark Fine. They released an episode this week but mostly they do them during the season. One preview episode which drops usually on a Thursday and a review one they do on Sunday evenings. Also their take on the footy world in general - particularly the media is well worth a listen.

2 Likes

Just smashed through the Your Favourite Band Sucks podcast. A lot of fun.

Two guys dedicate episodes on some of the worlds greatest bands and brutally rip them to shreds and make you question why you liked them in the first place.

Footyology is good Ro Co and Fine

1 Like

Cheers for this. I was listening to the David Sedaris one on the train this morning with tears of laughter streaming down my face, getting strange looks.

1 Like