All Things Podcast

The History or Rome podcast at the moment.

Being a full-on beer nerd, I’m now hooked on The Beerists podcast out of Texas.

But I’ve been giving some other suggestions posted here a spin, No Such Thing As A Fish is fun.

Those who followed Serial may be curious to listen to Undisclosed which looks at it all in more detail. Warning though it is by Rabia Chaudrey which means it is a little one sided

I listen to a lot of Podcasts.

AFL Based
AFL Exchange, SuperFooty podcast, Junktime AFL, Jock Reynolds, SuperCoach coach, Windy Hill Windsock

The Vergecast and What’sTech (both from www.theverge.com). I also used to listen to This Week in Tech but Leo Laporte is a bit of a ■■■■ and it’s a weekly 2 hour podcast - who has that much time?

StartUp and Reply All. Both from the same company, the first season of StartUp is about a guy starting a podcasting company. Reply All is a podcast by that company. StartUp is currently doing a second season about another unrelated start up.

The Bugle (weekly satirical news from John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman)

Stuff You Should Know (from howstuffworks.com this is my lowest priority podcast during winter and I rarely listen to it, but once the footy season finishes I listen to it a lot over summer)

Serial because serial

Peter Adamson’s History of Philosophy Without any Gaps is great.

I have just found the “History of Byzantium” podcast. Byzantium is loaded with mystery and is totally overlooked by the west. It has been fascinating to learn about what happened during the time that everyone has called the Dark Ages. What they built in the 7th century was not surpassed in the rest of Europe for over 1,000 years.

And when I need a quick laugh, USA’s PBS’ Car Talk is just great. (Even if it is now in “best of” mode since one of the Tappet Brothers died).

The Ticket

Definitely listen to the Mongols series, it’s friggin insane

FYI :
http://bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/247/what-podcasts-are-you-listening-to#latest

There is one running. Hard to search for stuff on new blitz. As advised, much easier to google “B Blitz” + “search term” in Google.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/discussion/discussion/247/what-podcasts-are-you-listening-to/p1

99% Invisible
http://99percentinvisible.org

My new favourite podcast. They take some seemingly mundane thing and drill down into the design decisions that brought it about. One of my favourites is about hashtags, it goes down into the design of the modern telephone and why the # and * keys were added, resulting in having a hashtag on almost everything today.

Not sure if this is thread worthy, depends on how many blitzers regularly listen to podcasts, but I thought I'd put it out there, and it can be gurged if needed. I'm currently working a pretty boring and not-that-intensive job, so listening to Podcasts help pass the time like nothing else.

Aside from the Bomberblitzcast (which is obviously everybody's number 1), these are the ones getting me through the day so far:

- Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast.

I just think this guy is hilarious, so I like everything he does. 

- The Joe Rogan Experience.

These can go for over three hours, and Joe is a particular taste, so it's not for everybody. But he has really interesting guests on and gets great stories out of them. Maynard James Keenan and Victor Conte are probably my two favourite interviews. 

- The Nerdist

These guys can be a tad annoying, but they get A Grade stars on. Vince Gilligian, Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have all been on recently, plus Will Ferrell, Tom Hanks and my favourite, the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrahams.

- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

I love this, I can't get enough, and I was never really a history buff. His 4 part series on the Mongols is a must for anybody with even a vague interest in history.

- Santo, Sam and Ed. 

Hasn't been on for ages now, and not sure of it's returning, but I can listen to Rob Stitch discuss Australian pop culture all day.  

Always on the lookout for similar, if anybody has any suggestions. 

Ha - I used the (apparently awful) Blitz search engine then scanned all 6 pages of the Pool Room sub forum looking for an existing thread. Couldn’t see for looking!

Def gonna hit up the Mongol pod cast next then.

Just finished Blueprint for Armageddon a couple of weeks back. I’ve got a 10-part video serial of WWI on my ATV. I’ll have to watch that when I get settled at my new place in a couple of weeks.

Carlin commented on how much he had to leave out just on account of the time. I was a little surprised he covered so little on the American fighting. He spent a lot of time on their entry to the war, but little on their battles. Without him commenting on Sgt York specifically, you understand why he took so many prisoners. the Germans just wanted it to be over.

Just finished Blueprint for Armageddon a couple of weeks back. I've got a 10-part video serial of WWI on my ATV. I'll have to watch that when I get settled at my new place in a couple of weeks.

Carlin commented on how much he had to leave out just on account of the time. I was a little surprised he covered so little on the American fighting. He spent a lot of time on their entry to the war, but little on their battles. Without him commenting on Sgt York specifically, you understand why he took so many prisoners. the Germans just wanted it to be over.

Did it bring back some memories of your service in the Crimea?
Just finished Blueprint for Armageddon a couple of weeks back. I've got a 10-part video serial of WWI on my ATV. I'll have to watch that when I get settled at my new place in a couple of weeks.

Did it bring back some memories of your service in the Crimea?

No, but my visit to Gettysburg brought back some memories.

Or was that just of the Jeff Daniels/Martin Sheen movie?

My Kids love listening to podcasts, any recommendations? 6-10 year olds.

I listened to the first Ep of Serial and have downloaded but not listened to any other episode since, until finally deleting it from my feed last week.

I found the first few episodes of series 1 to be so compelling that I ended up listening to the rest even though it was decidedly boring.

Just started limetown yesterday. It’s reasonably good so far. Fictional, supernatural crimey thing. A few bits are a bit cheesy and I must admit the story doesn’t seem that original so far. But I’m enjoying it.

Anyone else got any recommendations for those suffering severe Serial withdrawal symptoms?

Anyone else got any recommendations for those suffering severe Serial withdrawal symptoms?

Listen to it again in preparation for the next season. Whenever that is.

They’ve done 3 updates of court proceedings in the Serial rehearing so far. Probably expect results of Day 4 tomorrow.