All Things Podcast

Not too sure that Serial Series 2 re Bowe Bergdahl (soldier who walked off base and was captured by the Taliban) is that gripping.

So Serial Season2 is upon us. I know the basics of the Bowe Bergdahl story and am not looking it up. Just want to see where they take us with it. Not sure it will be as compelling as Season 1 but she can sure tell a story.

I used to listen to the Adam Carolla podcast dailyā€¦but geez he mutated into a self indulgent right-winged flog. I mean he was always that but it just got to a point where I could no longer listen to his ignorant rants. Heā€™s repetitive and crappy guests started to hit hard too, obviously no one wanted to risk their career by going on his show. Having said the his side kick Bald Bryan was great and likeable, and was brilliant with the sound byte machine. Since I stopped listening I heard he unceremoniously dumped his news girl Allison Rosen from the show via text. Classy guy.

I always find time for Bill Burrā€™s podcast, Gilbert Godfriedā€™s Amazing Colossal Podcast (the guy is a filthy animal, hilarious stuff), Marc Maronā€™s WTF and Startalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Other recommendations:

Topics, with Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter. Very funny. A couple of idiots discussing world issues and solving them in 30 mins or less.
The Tim Ferris show. Life hacking style of podcast.
Mohr Stories with Jay Mohr. Similar to the Marc Maron WTF podcast but less famous guests.
The Bugle. Jon Oliver and Andy are great.

A couple I used to listen two regularly was the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast and the nerdiest.

And do yourself a favour and download all the ricky gervais show seasons, radio and podcasts. Just brilliant stuff.

So Serial Season2 is upon us. I know the basics of the Bowe Bergdahl story and am not looking it up. Just want to see where they take us with it. Not sure it will be as compelling as Season 1 but she can sure tell a story.
The scenario is not as intriguing as Season 1, but there's gotta be some mysterious stuff in there to make it worth Koenig's while. She probably had a billion suggestions cross her desk and went with this, so it should deliver.

As for others, Rum, Rebels & Ratbags, back in May-July, was great stories from Australiaā€™s early settler history that people maybe never heard before. I just finished up that one.

Got to drive to Mount Gambier and back tomorrow for a flight to Adelaideā€¦so Iā€™ve stocked up. Serial 2 for starters.

Still got a few Freakanomics to get through.

Only 2 eps of Serial 2 out so far?

Iā€™m only seeing one?

Iā€™m not sure if it will be as compelling a tale, but as it was said earlier, she knows how to tell a story, so Iā€™ll still probably be just as obsessed with it.

Iā€™m only seeing one?

Iā€™m not sure if it will be as compelling a tale, but as it was said earlier, she knows how to tell a story, so Iā€™ll still probably be just as obsessed with it.

used to be a strange thing with podcasts and itunes, itunes usually putting it out a day early compared to others, might be wrong though.

Iā€™m only seeing one?

used to be a strange thing with podcasts and itunes, itunes usually putting it out a day early compared to others, might be wrong though.

Stupid exclusive Apple

Iā€™m only seeing one?

Obviously your phone/intertubes/life sucks

(Or I got the release day wrongā€¦)

Iā€™m only seeing one?

Obviously your phone/intertubes/life sucks

(Or I got the release day wrongā€¦)

Heyā€¦ Go easy on my intertubes.

Gave Hardcore History mongol edition a whirl on a recent bike tour. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed with Dan Carlinā€™s styleā€¦ at times I felt like I was listening to some right-wing US rant radio station in the way that he shouts and modulates his voice in very artificial ways to try and make things captivating, but it ended up sounding a bit fake and contrived like BT commentating footy.

Does it just take a bit of time to warm to his style, or is it a kinda love it/hate it kinda show? For 6 hours or whatever of run time, it was remarkably repetitive and he seemed to repeat his main contentions about 10 times each episode. Although that kinda suited me, because I liked the fact that I could tune out for a couple of minutes while riding and when I tuned back in he was still talking about the same thingā€¦

The history was pretty amazing though, so I think Iā€™ll follow through and listen to the WW1 and 2 shows, but not sure if iā€™ll go further and check out any other episodes. I guess Iā€™m a bit too used to the tight production and script of RadioLab and TAM type of podcasts, so finding the ā€˜one long rant for an hour and halfā€™ format a bit less of a satisfying a productā€¦

I am a big fan of podcasts. When you spend a lot of time with ear muffs on keeping the noise of tractors and equipment out of your ears it is nice to have something to listen to. My wife is a podcast junky and I am sure that half of the external hard drive is filled with her podcastsā€¦

Anyway, the ones I listen to and like are as follows:

• Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Blueprint to Armageddon and Wrath of the Khans were both fantastic. (WanderingWolf - Don't be so concerned about how he speaks, be more concerned about what he discusses)
  • Serial was great, haven't started with Serial 2 as yet.
  • Tim Ferris show is good and he has some great guests.
  • Answer Me This! - great fun British show with some strange questions and answers
  • Gastropod - great food/science show
  • Invisibilia - great show on some very strange subjects
  • Rdella Training - Strength/kettlebells/weightlifting - fantastic guests
  • This American Life - fantastic real life stories
  • That American Life - pisstake on This American Life, funny stories in the same style
  • The Peace Revolution Podcast - If education is the answer, what is the question?
Gave Hardcore History mongol edition a whirl on a recent bike tour. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed with Dan Carlin's style... at times I felt like I was listening to some right-wing US rant radio station in the way that he shouts and modulates his voice in very artificial ways to try and make things captivating, but it ended up sounding a bit fake and contrived like BT commentating footy.

Does it just take a bit of time to warm to his style, or is it a kinda love it/hate it kinda show? For 6 hours or whatever of run time, it was remarkably repetitive and he seemed to repeat his main contentions about 10 times each episode. Although that kinda suited me, because I liked the fact that I could tune out for a couple of minutes while riding and when I tuned back in he was still talking about the same thingā€¦

The history was pretty amazing though, so I think Iā€™ll follow through and listen to the WW1 and 2 shows, but not sure if iā€™ll go further and check out any other episodes. I guess Iā€™m a bit too used to the tight production and script of RadioLab and TAM type of podcasts, so finding the ā€˜one long rant for an hour and halfā€™ format a bit less of a satisfying a productā€¦

I would suspect that if he sh*ts you now, that isnā€™t going to change.

FWIW, I like his ability to sell a story.

FWIW, I like his ability to sell a story.

So do I, and talking of Serial, the original case is going back to court this week.

Really good Maron podcast with Sasha Baron Cohen.

Very interesting dude, and a rare interview with him just being him.

The Maron podcast is great, ā€¦ and his TV show isnā€™t bad either.

Really good Maron podcast with Sasha Baron Cohen.

Very interesting dude, and a rare interview with him just being him.

Good to hear. Iā€™ve got it downloaded, just looking for a chance to give it a full listen.
Not too sure that Serial Series 2 re Bowe Bergdahl (soldier who walked off base and was captured by the Taliban) is that gripping.

Itā€™s not, itā€™s keeping me going (just) but in an ā€˜hmm thatā€™s interestingā€™ kinda way not a ā€˜what the hell???ā€™ way that series 1 was gripping.

If you got into serial season 1 thereā€™s also ā€˜Undisclosedā€™ and ā€˜Serial Dynastyā€™. Bunch of lawyers and/or investigators drilling down a lot further into detail. Jayā€™s testimonyā€¦ boy oh boy. knock knock