Andrew Gaff - RFA

The severity thing, I think, is mostly to do with the normal physical contacts that goes wrong. It is entirely normal also, to penalise more heavily if resulting injuries are more severe. It is exactly how the courts deal with offenders. The little “taps” they give each other are like nothing. Eliminate the edgy part of the game and it would be softer than netball.

This maybe?

If that’s a square up for a broken jaw, I would feel ripped off.

2 Likes

part of me considers the square up just as bad. 100% deliberate, concussed, its not on.

I’m pretty sure Gaff would have been happy to wear that hit. He more than earnt it.
Plenty of blokes wouldn’t have taken the contact given the obvious hunting of him late in the game.

2 Likes

The little “taps” are unnecessary and can lead to a retaliatory escalation. I don’t like them one bit.

3 Likes

Ha, it was on Devon? Now I understand the motive for it a lot more!

But he’s now our annoying little ■■■■.

2 Likes

You do realise it wasn’t shown at the ground as a replay, so the crowd for the most part would have had no idea what had happened?

Most would have known. They would have seen it on their phones.

They probably didn’t know that Jobe admitted using AOD either. Totally innocent those WC fans

Being bumped while you have the ball is just as bad as getting your jaw rearranged 100m off the ball? Oooookaaaay

2 Likes

Only a $2000 fine (same as Francis got on O’Meara). MRP must have decided a square up was warranted.

It’s an intentional and completely unnecessary act of retribution which caused harm. I know the harm against gaff is a lot worse, but morally I find it hard to condemn Johnson’s act any less

Wait what! Why the Fark would Francis be getting fined?

O’Meara’s a protected species.

I don’t know Gaff, but anyone that thinks that Gaff intentionally knocked out Brayshaws teeth, broke his jaw and concussed him, is drawing a long bow. Gaff did not look like a person who intended to cause such damage. Absolutely no doubt what Gaff did was reprehensible and has no place on a football field. However IMO, it seemed, Gaff was looking to punch Brayshaw in the guts - equally as bad - but Brayshaw crouched down at the time of impact. Gaff will do his time but criminal charges and all the other hyperbole is irresponsible commentary.

10 Likes

Obviously received instructions from HQ.

1 Like

I think he’ll get at least 8 weeks. They’ll make sure he cannot play again this year. What’s most interesting is what it changes about his contract. Personally, I thought he was certain to stay but word is NM have offered a 7 year mega :moneybag: deal, does he now think he’s placed his safety at risk? It’s a two team town don’t forget, it only takes one hero Freo supporter with a skinful to spot him having dinner with a mate or a quiet beer somewhere to come & snot him one. Intriguing couple weeks ahead.

2 Likes

I predict with great confidence that a Steve Smith style bawling press conference is on the cards here.

5 Likes

Doubt it. I hardly look at my phone when im at the footy

1 Like