Announced Retirements and Delistings, List spots and Picks 2018 edition - The grass on the other side isn't Green

Is apeness any good as ruck option?

Is there anywhere a list of all clubs delistings?
Would like to look who would be available as a DFA.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/player-profile/michael-apeness

They have committed to rookie him, so we would have to draft him I suppose, but I’m pretty sure Emma Quayle suggested we might pick him up in the 2013 draft, but he went at pick 17 to Freo and we had to settle for Zach Merrett at pick 26 with our draft penalties.

I wouldn’t mind if we had a stab at him, but he had an ACL as a 16YO and multiple knee injuries since,

‘Powerful’ Apeness could fill ruck void: Walters

fremantlefc.com.au May 30, 2018 12:19 PM

Michael Walters talks to media after a smoking ceremony was conducted for the club.

RELATED

Michael Apeness is ready to make a long-awaited return to senior football as Fremantle looks to replace the injured Aaron Sandilands for Sunday’s clash with Collingwood at the MCG, according to Michael Walters.

Sandilands was ruled out from selection on Tuesday night by senior coach Ross Lyon, needing more time to recover from a concussion sustained in round 10 against North Melbourne.

Walters admitted that the absence of the 211cm ruckman is a ‘”big loss” for Fremantle’s engine room but feels Apeness has the physical capabilities to limit the impact of star Magpie ruckman Brodie Grundy.

Apeness last played for Fremantle in round 23 of the 2016 season and his potential return on Sunday would mark 645 days between AFL appearances - primarily due to multiple knee injuries.

The 200cm ruck / forward has played six games for Peel this season, including the past four in a row after an early season interruption due to a minor ankle injury.

Since returning for Peel in round five, Apeness has averaged 30 hitouts per game while sharing the ruck load with the likes of fellow Fremantle players Luke Strnadica and Scott Jones.

“I think Ross alluded that Michael Apeness could come in, so whoever comes in we just need them to play their role, step up and fill that void,” Walters said.

“Michael’s a big boy. At times he can be really humble around the club but when he crosses that white line, he’s a beast.

“We need him to bring that physical power – especially in the midfield but also when he goes forward.”

Known for his fierceness in the contest, Apeness could fit the bill for what Walters believes Freo needs to respond from back-to-back losses.

“We need to go out there and compete. We need guys to step into the ruck, compete and bring it to ground and not allow Collingwood to hit the ball where they want,” Walters said.

“Also we need our midfielders and forwards to compete as well.

“In the past we’ve had some really good forward pressure and that’s something we’ve really lacked this year so far. We’re looking to lock it in our forward half and not give them an opportunity.”

2 Likes

Thank’s for that.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be put off by his acl issues. Max gaen was in Th same boat. Might be worth a punt if we can pinch him from dockers which I imagine we could as a delisted free agent

Apeness has yet to prove he is AFL standard - Has a limited bag of tricks while his agility is awful.

2 Likes

They had their reasons.

Jarrod Lyons please

Get Cyril!

Total noob question… What is the actual point of a Rookie List? Why not just have a team list instead of Senior List and Rookie List?

Imo, it doesn’t serve any useful purpose any more. They should combine them now.

Similar with the drafts. Combine them all in to 1. The pre-season draft is nearly as big a waste of space as Gillon

1 Like

I think you’ve reached a higher plane than the clowns running the AFL.

They may or may not catch up.

2 Likes

Seems Lyons is going to Brisbane but if there’s any way we could get him I would.

We have a nice starting midfield at the moment but still not a huge amount of depth in the VFL to cover any long term injuries.

Imagine having a Lyons waiting in the wings in case a Heppell or Langford or Shiel did a long term injury? Would be handy.

Lyons would be a walk up start to our best 22.

2 Likes

Really? Despite being dropped by Gold coast?

2 Likes

Something Fishy is going on, he is best 5 at GCS

3 Likes

Allows the clubs 4 blokes they hardly have to pay…Rookies get a normal average wage compared to other players. Average in real world terms 60k to 80k

I’ve got a few live chickens to sacrifice

1 Like

I thought he was more of a tall forward part time ruck. Think we may have been into him in his draft year, the year we got Kavanagh? I think.