Another Mass Shooting, (Just Another Day) in America

And yet he carefully ensured that his face wasn’t showing…such a hero

If he was so obsessed with white supremacy, you would think he would of started with himself.

I mean… He isn’t white. What is going to happen to him in this White country???

Because it’s not like any Latin American countries (like, say Nicaragua…) have ever been run by far-right extremists, right? And that Pinochet guy - you know, the infamous right-wing dictator and mass murderer he wasn’t Hispanic either? And the fleeing Nazi war criminals felt soooo unwelcome in Argentina after WWII…

In the case of the Proud Boys historically, ‘white supremacist’ is a bit of only-partially-accurate shorthand. They started out as anti-feminist, and rapidly became anti-Jew, anti-black, and anti-Muslim. But they’ve always had a strong hispanic membership, and one of their most successful media boosters is Asian. One of the great unifying factors of all the people of the world is their equal capacity to be racist twats, isn’t that heartwarming?

6 Likes

5 Likes

There’s a series on Netflix, The Patients of Dr Garcia (just finished it last night), where one of the main protagonists gets in with the pro-Nazi Spaniards after WW2 and goes to Argentina (under a war criminal’s identity), in order to give evidence to the Americans that Franco is harbouring war criminals, together with Peron. Unfortunately he discovers that the Yanks want to keep Franco as an anti-Communist bulwark in Europe and are actually supporting the right-wing dictatorships in Latin America.

I know the CIA very much helped in the overthrow and murder of Allende in Chile in 1973, leading to Pinochet’s reign. I worked with a guy who admitted that his family were active in the coup.

Series runs from the early days of the Spanish Civil War to the death of Franco, which almost coincided with the rise of the Argentinian junta. Out of the frying pan. Bit superficial in parts.

Sort of runs counter to another Spanish Netflix series, Jaguar, where there was a group actively hunting down Nazi war criminals in Spain. I struggle to believe that could have happened in Franco’s Spain.

I don’t find it completely unbelievable. The Nazis were only ever allies of convenience to Franco, they won him the civil war, but they didn’t really have that much in common ideologically. Franco was very closely tied to the Catholic Church, while the Nazis were basically areligious.

I’m sure there were nazi sympathisers in Spain who helped with Odessa and the ratlines and so on, but by the time the war was over, they had nothing to offer Franco any more. He could earn brownie points with the US by arresting some of them, and the USA didn’t want to rock his boat and risk a left-wing Spain either.

2 Likes

Apparently Otto Skorzeny lived in Madrid until his death in 1975, not that he was a die-hard Nazi. He was the guy who led the group that rescued Mussolini from prison.

Franco was still hunting down suspected communists way after the war. Some horrifying stories. One movie I’d love to get is The 13 Roses, but I can’t find a subtitled version. This was straight after the civil war though. The doctor in the TV series was wanted, just for getting Republican soldiers fit to go back to the battlefield.

1 Like

Some time ago I saw the 13 Roses (subtitled) on SBS.
Maybe you could get it on demand

I’ll check. Ta!

5 Likes

I hope they require ID/checks to confirm the purchaser is indeed a teacher.

7 Likes

I watch a bit of the Armed Scholar on YouTube (because I hate myself, and because I like to keep up to date in just how farked that country is). This cap basically says it all, imo…

1 Like

I can’t help thinking, the movie The Purge will someday become a documentary on actual events in the near future for US residences.

I find it grimly hilarious that the whole premise of the Purge franchise is that there’s one day without law, and the movies focus is 100% on street crime and violent psychos running around.

What would REALLY happen on purge day is that every big company in the country would submit fraudulent tax returns. Politicians, judges, bureaucrats and cops would all be lining up for their annual bribes. Corporations would spend all day dumping all the pollutants they’d built up over the previous year into rivers, and organising hit squads to kill inconvenient lawyers, journalists, copyright-holders, litigants, protestors, creditors, activist shareholders, whistleblowers, environmentalists, union officials, and employees nearing retirement who are due big payouts.

It’s blackly funny that a film series that portrays a sheltered political class pitting citizens against each other actually perpetuates the same stereotypes and tropes that their fictional evil masterminds use.

7 Likes

Why would they want to limit that to one day when they already do it year round?

Cos they could save money on lobbyists and cover-ups.

Devastating.

6 Likes

Wow…that’s a really powerful article.

I defy anyone with a heart to read that and not be affected.

Farken old white men and their gun fetishes :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Some muppet on my train in Melbourne is wearing a hat with the US flag with an AR-15 in the middle of it.

While watching gun videos…

I’d be changing carriages or even trains.

1 Like