Another non-rival crushed - review those Norf losers

I only heard the commentary for the first time this morning and have to say Huddo absolutely nailed it. Ensured it will live in memory.

12 Likes

Will have to listen out for it, when I watch the replay this afternoon.

That was the best kick of the day untill tippaā€™s.

On a minor note, for those watching a replay perhaps.
A follow up to an earlier pre game post where I dissed Zeibellā€™s supposed toughness.
Further examples, particularly from the first half.
At least 5 times Zeibell received the ball in space and chose to rush a scrubby kick forward- rather than take another step, assess options, and deliver a better kick - all to avoid the possibility of having to take a hit or body contact from the closing player as he disposed of it.

Contrast this to even our young blokes - McGrath Parish Redman or Ridley, where the team takes priority.

He had the one in the first quarter touched on the line as wellā€¦didnā€™t seem too far out on that one either.

Have only watched the final two minutes clip on the train on my way home last night, the crowd noise was amazing! Itā€™s not as noticeable when youā€™re at the ground, youā€™re too swept up in it as I was. Had that horrible feeling in the guts when we keep kicking it down Tarrantā€™s throat late but thankfully that stupidity was outdone by Atley who panic kicked it to Francis near enough in the centre circle, opened up the whole ground. How that wasnā€™t a free kick to Clarke for front on contact before the Fantasia kick I donā€™t know, Cunnington wasnā€™t even looking at the ball, just turned his body late to try disguise it. He lands square on his chest. It probably worked out better as we had both Stringer and Walla deep, I just knew one of them would manufacture something, just didnā€™t know if there was time. Thank fk there was. Was glorious watching the broken hearted tin rattling peasants departing.

18 Likes

That hack kick by Atley is the kind of kick that our defenders are quite capable of doing too in a close game and full panic mode.

1 Like

Like the GWS game, the winning score was set up by a little bit of improvisation and takibgbthe game on by McKenna.

2 Likes

Huddo is a great caller, he earnt my respect the day he called Sydney beating Geelong in the Semis when Davis kicked that goal with a few seconds left. He called it with such passion for his own team getting done so heartbreakingly. I donā€™t think I could have done it.

20 Likes

I reckon, put in context, that was our best win of the year.

North have been up and about - and no matter the circumstances - wiped the floor with Collingwood and Richmond in recent weeks (each of which Iā€™d rate in the top 4). They came out hugely fired up, and early looked waaaay to good and in particular way too clean up forward.

But we just ground them down. We (in particular the midfield) were huge in the second and third. We tidy up our set shots (or have a more functional forwardline) and the last would have merely been a formality. Smashed a team in clearances and inside 50s that had previously been smashing their opposition.

In the last we just ran out of gas, pure and simple. We lost our defender playing on the best forward in the game and were seriously undermanned in defence. Credit that we managed to stay with them in the last and then apply he screws in the last few minutes. We had one chance to win it and it fortunately fell to the best possible player.

3 wins by 10 or less on the trot feels very un-Essendon - agree with others that is the likes of McGrath, Parish, Redman who are helping breed this mentality of grinding out close games.

5 Likes

Also I do not get the criticism of Ben Brown. I hate North as much as the next guy but he is a genuine superstar. He was completely unplayable for much of the game. His run up is a bit annoying but if our players could kick it like that, Iā€™d have them running from Tulla.

Without he and Tarrant, North lose by 10 goals.

10 Likes

Enjoyed this review at the mongrel punt

2 Likes

Zerrett on the Sunday footy show if yous care

2 Likes

there were a few games earlier in the year where I thought Redman switched off a few times and it hurt us. Itā€™s improved a fair bit in the space of 6 or 8 games.

McGrath was great here at the end, and so was Merrettā€™s second effort lunging tackle that did enough to stop the Norf bloke moving forward.

12 Likes

Wins like the ones we have had recently (GWS, Sydney and North) galvanise a group and get them working harder and playing for each other more.

We were all ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  at the lack of effort against WCE, but the boys have hung in and had a real crack and it shows.

Iā€™m loving that it is our younger brigade stepping it up as well.

2 Likes

I know Redman had a few changers but he gave it his all too make up for it. I didnā€™t realise how quick he was. A couple of times he ran past our midfielders line they were standing still. Saad, McKenna and Redman, geez if they link up no one would touch them. Mind you taking it themselves nobody touches them anyway I guess.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t specifically criticising Brown, I was praising Ambrose (who can keep up with Brown and then nudge him just as heā€™s about to fly for the mark). Brown is not a complete player, but if you let him do his thing heā€™ll kill you.

Kinda like how I say Dylan Clarke is not a complete player, but his internal work to kill an opponent and his strength to stand up in any tackle and get the ball out are Elite Elite.

1 Like

is that what chf tippa looks like?

Looks as if Hooksy still couldnā€™t stand up straight.

2 Likes