ANZAC Day Review thread

Who the hell is Sam Maclure? How did he get a gig on talking footy and the rest? He’s awful

6 Likes

pertinent and succinct

2 Likes

20 Likes

Evening all. Bomber fan tuning in from overseas. Apologies if already discussed or not available, but where is the best place to find a replay these days?

2 Likes

book mcgrath in for the rising star

This is their plan for next time.

21 Likes

Woosh mentioned in the post match presser that our kick out strategy failed because Hurley continued to kick long but too many midfielders were presenting as short options, leaving us outnumbered at the fall of the ball around our long target. Exactly the same problem that we had against Adelaide, the only difference being Adelaide punished us for our mistakes.

3 Likes

Yep. Our forward line (and ball movement into same) is the story of our year.

That’s awful!

Thanks for posting but sheesh, Howe > Daniher? Green > Fanta? Anyone from collingwood > Zerrett?

2 Likes

Tippa didn’t get a single medal vote.

Racist?

3 Likes

Another thing really giving me the ■■■■■ from the post game media reviews:

“Pendels had an off day, he mustn’t be right”

Not

“He was completely shut out by a perfect negating game from Goddard”

Give us some ■■■■■■■ credit you ■■■■■

16 Likes

Goddard has been great this year. Lead the team for clearances again.

His role has changed a lot to be in the guts way more. And the contested side is actually working for him.

16 Likes

Theres no stat for standing off the ball and only going for easy disposals

We’d want to find some mids who can run the other way. We can’t keep giving sides ridiculous amounts of inside 50s

1 Like

Woosh seemed to indicate a lot of this was due to our own turnovers.

Either unable to clear our defensive half effectively or times when we look to be out and about to have a scoring opportunity and stuff it up and it rebounds back down.

1 Like

So is that Hurley fault for kicking it long when the midfielders are presenting short or the mids fault because they have been further back?

BB
Some dude called sandbelt has some situation which gives access, nothelpfull I know, but hopefully thesmarties here will help (us both)! !!!

The Buck stops here and has a bit of a cry.
2nd quarter @ around 8 minutes

2 Likes

Just finished watching the replay, a quick review of players:

• Aaron Francis: Signs are all there, clean ball handling and looks to create. His fitness isn’t there yet, but I’d play him again against Melbourne on Sunday - recovery and match fitness are different - and I think he just needs more match practice at AFL level.

• Patrick Ambrose: Good again - didn’t see too much of the ball, but has just become a dependable, intimidating pillar in defense.

• Ben McNiece: Really good debut - I thought he was flawless and looks agile and tough. We didn;t even get to see the footskills - so much to look forward to. I’d be playing him the rest of the year - will take some pressure of Baguley who gets the huge jobs on dangerous forwards every week - and needs some relief.

• Brent Stanton: I thought he was below average - he appears to be playing a defensive -rebounding position which is not suited to his game because it limits his ability to be a link in the chain provide gut running from ‘box-to-box’. He still offers something - but we should be looking to develop McKenna or Mutch instead of him by the end of the season.

• Trav Colyer: I thought he was very good - I’m amazed he only had 13 odd touches - provided options, ran to dangerous positions and showed those great aerial skills he has for such a little man.

• Andrew McGrath: (or McGwah as BT kept calling him). What can you say that hasn’t already been said? Calm, composed, excellent decision maker, tough, sublime hands and anticipation. The most impressive bonus has been his kicking - which has been outstanding - I’m sure we will see more of the run and use of foot in the future - he is just a sensational prospect and a fixture of the team already after 5 games.

• Mitch Brown: Good. Undervalued I think but is playing good footy - I particularly like his body positioning and his ability to work opponents under the ball and collect and dish off to create rebound.

• Mark Baguley: After reading the Match Day Thread you could be forgiven for thinking this guy must have stunk it up massively. He was actually pretty damn good IMO. The guy has one of the toughest jobs each week on the most dangerous small forward - make no mistake, Elliot is an elite forward and yes he outpointed Bags several times - he is a very good player and will continue to outsmart his direct opponents against any team. Loved his last quarter when he was cut loose to track the ball - does a great job and is still critical to our best team.

• Josh Green: Good game - you would be happy with that output every game from a small forward - I hope he continues to work on his defensive work as this will make him a more complete player.

• David Zaharakis: He was OK, despite his low possession count. Did some tough in and under work and hit some important targets when needed. Definitely hasn’t hit great heights this year, but still has the ability to hit hot patches of form - so there is upside in his game.

• James Kelly: Some clangers early - but like Baguley, when it gets hot in those defensive scrambles there will always be some horrendous turnovers. Overall, I thought his game was good - and he seems to play well at the end of matches when others are under fatigue which is really important.

• Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Outstanding, one of his best games for the club. His 14 possession were more like 28 with his additional defensive work. He is fast emerging as a genuine star of the competition - and I don’t think that is overstating things.

• Darcy Parish: What a ripper this kid is. He crashes in, finds the footy and has a nice lateral sidestep- shuffle to go with his quick hands which allows him to wrong-foot opponents in close and gives him time to dispose. He can over-cook his kicks on occasion, but I like that he goes for those aggressive angles to hit up players in the corridor. He’s only 19!

• Cale Hooker: An improved game from Hooksy, the fact that he is filling the ‘gorilla role’ up forward is almost as valuable as his actual contributions on the scoreboard. I liked that Worsfold wasn’t afraid to throw him back into defense when Collingwood got a run on - would like to see this tactic utilised more to stem momentum runs.

• Matthew Leuenberger: I don’t feel Matthew is offering enough at the moment. Last year he seemed to be taking more marks and getting a few shots on goal but that has disappeared from his game this season. His desperation and contest work around the packs and at ground level is a positive - he fights hard and this is an area where he has it over Bellchambers. Having said that I would be bringing in Bellchambers to replace Leuenberger in the team simply because he offers more offensively up forward and around the ground.

• Brendon Goddard: Very good game again from our tough, durable on-ground General- he is having a great season. Foot-skills in the greasy conditions were excellent and his clearance work has really impressed me this year. Would be up in the top few in our B & F so far.

• Dyson Heppell: Look, I’m probably judging this bloke from very high standards, ut I actually wasn’t hugely enamored by Hep’s game - he did some hard and tough things and is going along just OK - but there is still a bit of rust on his game and he seemed at time slow to react. However, I am very confident he has a lot of improvement to come as he gets into the core of the season - and it’s actually exciting that we have decent mid-field functioning with big scope for improvement from Captain Hep.

• Michael Hurley: It’s coming back to the big bear. You could actually see his judgement and confidence returning as the game progressed, his kicking was ordinary by his standards but his intercept play and marshaling of the defense is starting to heat up. Great to see him getting back into gear and we are probably not far away from him having a match winning BOG performance.

• Jobe Watson: Struggling by foot. He is about 30% off his best - and he still has lots to offer. I would be playing him resting deep forward more and let him use his smarts to be that hard-to-defend strong bodied forward. Will be interesting to see if he can elevate his touch and kicking as the season progresses.

• Orazio Fantasia: Fabulous young player, a great game again with plenty of dazzle and getting into the face of the Collingwood players. It’s hard to think of a better piece of recruiting by Dodoro and co. He has become a pivotal and dangerous force to be reckoned with and planned for by opposition coaches - and it is difficult because he is so multi-dimensional. He leads, crumbs, snaps, marks overhead, has pace and a poachers goal sense - the complete package. Ran through the middle for periods with that electrifying dash- not a stretch to say he could be in our top 5 most important players.

• Joe Daniher: Best game for the club and it feels as though we are witnessing the emergence of a generational force for this football club. Power, pace, leadership and a joyful nature - the guy just loves playing football. His ruck-work has improved and his kicking for goal despite some wayward snaps yesterday is also trending up. We have a match-winning 23yo key position player on our hands - enjoy the next decade and congrats to Joe on the ANZAC medal.

• Zach Merrett: Great game from the little champ - probably not his most skillful by foot - but still just cut Collingwood to ribbons with his run and carry, overlap and creativeness. He kicks for dangerous positions (like Parish and Fantasia) so will always have a few turnovers - but his importance cannot be underestimated. Willed himself into the contest in the last quarter, which is becoming a trademark as he runs over the top of opposition taggers - he must have an incredible tank.

28 Likes

Just a bit off topic, but the jumper looked ok I thought. Doesn’t really matter when you win I suppose.

4 Likes