Apple's Latest

I have been on a 6S for the last 2 years and ready for an upgrade. I have also (through the ravages of age) suffered a deterioration in my eye sight so have been looking to go with the bigger screen model. Looking at the 8 Plus as the X is way too pricey.

The camera(s) is the other reason I am justifying the update. All the reviews and comparative images I have seen have the 8 Plus blowing the 6S out of the water.

I also upgraded to iOS 11 overnight. So far so good.

If I were upgrading, thatā€™s the one Iā€™d go for, and for the same reasons. Also, hopefully to get longer battery life. My 6S seems to run down more quickly these days.

Quick question for the folks here who have the larger ā€œPlusā€ models. How comfy is it to fit in your pockets (front ones)?

I hated it at first.
But the benefit of the screen size meant I no longer needed the ipad mini.

The only time itā€™s in my pockets is during summer but Iā€™m usually in cargo shorts so it isnā€™t a big issue. In winter itā€™s in my jacket pocket. The size and pocket thing isnā€™t a big issue for me.

Just get the simplest and slimmest cover possible. Iā€™ve been used to putting membership cards / cash in my phone cover so I donā€™t have to carry a wallet in my pocket for small purchases.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same boat. Have had the 6S plus for the last 2 years and loved the battery life etc. Looking at upgrading at the end of the year if the 8 is any good. New iOS update is slick.

Never had an issue with the size, I have large hands so feel itā€™s to scale, everything I see thatā€™s smaller looks weeny.

2 Likes

Cā€™mon mate, no need to brag :slight_smile:

1 Like

Assumed iOS 11 would run like a dogā€™s breakfast on my 6plus but has held up well.

Got the 8Plus over the weekend. Quick thoughts:

1. Got used to the size VERY quickly. I choose a slim case and frankly, it helped a lot with the transition.
  2. The camera is AMAZING. I thought my 6S was pretty kick ā– ā– ā–  for a phone but the 8Plus blows it away. The colors are richer. Details are crisper. And the shooting in low light is fantastic. The Portrait mode is breathtaking (along with the ability to edit / re-edit the lighting effects).
  3. To my untrained eye the phone isnā€™t noticeably faster than my 6S (which was fast enough for me).
  4. Battery life as one would expect is much better than the 6S.
  5. Since I have it in a case I canā€™t comment much on the glass back. Suffice to say, even without a case it felt comfortably ā€œstickyā€ unlike the metal back of my 6S (I was always paranoid it would slip out of my hand without a case).
1 Like

New Apple watch goes Dick_Tracy. Thoughts?

Same here. It actually feels a bit faster, but that may just be my active imagination.

On the other hand the battery life seems to be getting shorter.

Does anyone know the best supplementary charger for a 6S? Ideally it would take the form of a case for the phone, and if my phone was getting low all I would have to do is put it in the case and it would immediately give extra battery life. And it would at least double, preferably triple, the life. And not be too bulky

I know there are Mophie cases which do this, but the problem there is that a change in the shape of the phone means the Mophie is now useless.

I moved to a Cygnett which is an external beast holding charge. You then charge your phone with a USB charging cable, as if youā€™re charging through the power point.

I know the Cygnetts are much smaller now.

Sounds like youā€™d prefer something like a Mophie, but be warned about phone upgrades. And if you buy a Mophie, buy it from an approved Apple reseller. The lightning connection must be approved or just wonā€™t work.

Thanks. Will investigate

Bumpity bump bump.

Anyone had trouble restoring a 6s backup to a new 8? itā€™s been an absolute clusterfark. keeps either hanging and doing nothing, or says the phone is locked when it clearly isnā€™t. iā€™ve restored a few iphones in the past, but this one sucks. one did run, but nothing transferred over.

iā€™ve updated ios on both phones, itunes up to date, reset rinse and repeat. so frustratingā€¦

Exact same thing happened to my wife. Here is what worked:

• Locate your old 6S backups on your computer and DELETE them (for safety you may want to save them to an external drive BEFORE deleting).
  • Update your 6S to the latest iOS version (and make sure your new 8 is on the same iOS version)
  • Create a new backup of your 6S
  • Use this new backup to update your new phone

Good luck! It really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off spending over 4 hours to get my wifeā€™s new phone to work!

cheers! i havenā€™t tried wiping the 6s backup, iā€™ll give that a go tonight!

didnā€™t help that my wife had never backed up her 6s, and had about 30mb of free space left on it. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I donā€™t recall having any issues at all.

I also didnā€™t have any problems, but thatā€™s because I decided to keep my 6S and not upgrade. After looking at an 8Plus I decided it just wasnā€™t worth it. Iā€™ll take advantage of the cheap changeover battery sometime soon, but really the 6S does everything I want. I know there are lots of differences between a 6S and an 8Plus, but apart from the screen size they wouldnā€™t really improve anything much for me.

1 Like

When i smashed my screen on my 6 over christmas and got it replaced, repair guy said battery will probably only last another 6 months as it had a swollen battery.
My battery life has been pretty crappy, seems to be on charge at work most of the day then overnight as well.