Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

Fantastic. Ive just moved into my sons rental unit while waiting for a house to be built. He has a euromaid induction cook top (he recently renovated) and I love it. Had bottled gas in my previous house (QLD) . In the house I am building I am getting a Miele induction. I went to a demonstration some months ago at the Miele shop and was astonished at how fast they are. I took my son back to look at them again with me (my sons are chefs) and he was pretty impressed. And they are more responsive than gas.
The only thing they are not as good as is if you lift the pan to toss the food you cant keep them on the heat. And they wont be as good with woks, but I cooked with a wok the other night and that was OK. Apart from that I think they’re fantastic.
The one thing the Miele chef did say was if he does tell Asians who do mainly wok cooking that they wont get the wok heat that they will with gas.
But if miele is as good as this one (which it will want to be as its probably three time the price) I will be thrilled.

1 Like

+1

Induction cooktops are definitely worth it. They are specially useful for applications that need very low gentle heating. We have both induction and gas cooktops to get most versatility

Yup. Only way I’d have one. a 2 burner induction and my Gas CT with wok burner.

Try using a fking wok on an induction, … or scorching capsicums, or, …

In retirement, and the fact that my stubble is getting greyer and less noticeable, I now only shave Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Funnily enough, I get no skin irritation from blades, but do (or used to) get significant irritation from electric shavers.

And I never use aftershave.

1 Like

Its never that clean(as a new multiblade razor) . The one i have works well with a shave gel though.

I prefer a small amount of stubble over as being as smooth as a babys. So I guess depends?

1 Like

I am the exact opposite. Face looks like I have burned it after shaving with a blade, especially if I haven’t shaved for a day or two, but my cheaparse Aldi electric shaver leaves no irritation at all. Not quite as close as a blade, but pretty smooth nonetheless. And nope, never use aftershave either.

1 Like

You shave once too often per week.

I do try to remain at my dapper and debonair best.

2 Likes

I go more for raffish rogue myself

1 Like

What’re you shaving with?

Now nothing, previously with a gel

Induction is awesome!!

My folks had one in their place about 20 years ago and ever since then that’s all I’ve had at my homes.

Whilst you don’t get the heat control you would with gas, it’s better than gas in every other way. Heats up super fast. It boils water quicker than the kettle. It’s also so bloody simple to clean! A few sprays and paper towel and it’s like new.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do suck a lot of power. You’ll need a dedicated fuse run to it from your meter box. For our 900mm cooktop we had to run 15mm cable which is pretty expensive. So keep that cost in mind when you are deciding or you may be in for a shock. If you’re unsure maybe get a sparky over to do a quote to have it installed before buying the cooktop.

1 Like

So good in a blackout especially. :unamused:

Fair dinkum advise to only have them for auxiliary usage, or in addition to Gas.

Lived in a place with an Electric stove for a year or so, . never have again.

Couldn’t even boil water for a Cuppa when the power was down.

MUST have a gas cooktop IMO.

In 12 years of having induction we’ve not been able to cook because of a power outage once.

However I do still remember about 30 years ago when Melbourne had no gas for a week, so electric cook top would’ve been all the rage!

Maybe I should of mention earlier that our 2nd house, that we renovated 5 years ago, had no gas available which made it either induction or electric as the only options. Although even if gas was available we still would’ve gone induction.

Would depend on your location.

Country, definitely something to consider. Suburbs, happens like once a year.

@AD_Don hope you’re well.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on wireless in ear headphones.

I am trying to find some for use during exercise, but still need to be able to hear traffic etc.

Anything new worth looking at?

after reading the battery lawn mower discussion here, grabbed a masport battery mower. did a good job plenty of power.
hadn’t mowed for 4 weeks as old mower died and it just churned threw it.

battery takes 2 hours to charge and if lawn wasn’t so long would probably be enough juice to do back and front lawns.

2 Likes

My son bought me MiFo wireless earbuds for Mothers day. They are lovely. Have lots of settings including the one you require. A charge lasts around 7-10 hours of continuous listening and the case charges around 10x before the need to recharge.

Pretty impressed.

1 Like

Has anyone got a robovac? If so, are they worth the investment?

I bought one about a month ago. Best investment ever (well maybe not best but it is up there). We have a dog which sheds a little bit and the robovac does a great job. Just run it for a couple of hours a day and no more dog hair. Also goes under some of the furniture that you usually wouldn’t get to with a conventional vac. Does get stuck on occasions but the exception rather than the norm.

2 Likes