Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

we have a rumba.
dont use it that much anymore.
kids (2) hop on go for a ride on it.

Does a good job, as long as you pickup everything off the floor.
would be perfect for people without kids with tidy houses already.
Our dog is a bit scared of it.

Good to turn on as your heading out. But need to make sure limit the rooms it can get to, otherwise may need to search all the paces where could have it got stuck.

1 Like

Weā€™ve got one, Ecovac or something?
Itā€™s the exact size that it can just get under our dining chairs, but canā€™t work out how to get out. So to get any value out of it, we need to lift all the chairs up.
Which makes it more trouble than it actually saves. Plus the tank thing is pretty tiny.

It doesnā€™t work for us.

2 Likes

Maybe Iā€™ll see if anyone I know has one and borrow it. Hmmm.

Yeah, their usefullness or otherwise will depend on a bunch of things.

They never do an absolutely great job- they just donā€™t.
And they can be a PITA getting stuck under stuff.
But it is nifty to just hit ā€˜goā€™, then walk out.

1 Like

some older relos have one, run it every day to keep dust off the floors (pets). youā€™ll still need to do a proper vacuum every so often.

1 Like

kettles, whats good?

I have a smeg. I love it.

I boil the water at 70 degrees and by the time the tea has infused its pretty much ready to drink without burning yourself.

Thatā€™s a neat trick.

Mt Everest?

7 Likes

Theyā€™ve got one button, donā€™t overthink it.

1 Like

a few have only lasted 1-2 years. sick of that.

Are you teasing me? I donā€™t get it what you mean :frowning:

Go in a shop and feel them.
If it feels legit, itā€™ll do the job. You can tell the really flimsy, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ones.

Surely itā€™d tip over beyond 45 degrees?

4 Likes

Would I ever tease, on here? :wink:

Water is heated to 70 degrees, but not boiled.

unless youā€™re under very low pressure (like 9km up, ie the top of Mt Everest, water will boil at 70 degrees)

4 Likes

Ahhhh, ok I get it now!!!

Anyway, the point Iā€™m trying to make is that my Smeg is awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

How many bells and whistles do you need on a kettle?

Wellā€¦i suppose a whistle is handy.

But unless you want it to cut out at a preset temperature, thereā€™s no point in overthinking it. Sunbeam or Breville should do the trick.

Thereā€™s a groovy looking kettle at Aldi special buys this Wednesday.

1 Like

After owning a basic kettle for over 20 years the placcy bits fell apart and it started to leak so we got a whizz bang expensive Breville which carked it after 14 months; the electronics lost the plot. Replaced it with a $29 KMart jobbie which is going fine after a couple of years. Simplest is best with that sort of thing.

If you get one, can you tell us how loud it is? Last one we bought there sounds like a 300hp outboard.

2 Likes

Lol. Iā€™m not getting one, I have my Smeg which I rarely use :slight_smile: