Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

Why do you need two phones ?

I keep work and my private life seperateā€¦

The work one is paid for by an employer. The other paid for by myself.

Thereā€™s actually a whole couple of threads on phones.

1 Like

My son picked up an ex-display IPhone 6s from Kogan for a little over $200.
Comes with a warranty.

I put the screen protector on it and it looked mint.
Could only see a hairline scratch on the screen when I turned it a certain angle into the light.

Apparently the only drawback with these refurb or display models is the reduced battery life.
I believe you can change the battery on those iPhones though.

Thatā€™d be a first.

Haha, probably not that easy.

I have changed one myself on an old IPhone 4.
Pretty fiddly with very small tools, but itā€™s still going.

Not sure about the 6 and above.

I have had my iPhone 6s for a long time and had a new basttery put in at our local shopping centre; cost $50 and was done in 5 minutes while I waited. Phone has run much better ever since.

3 Likes

It should run the same. Only longer.

Huh? I replaced mine (previous phone, a 6) at about 2 years, and same for Mrs Pā€™s 6+

Not particularly difficult, just a bit fiddly.
Cost me $35 ish.

@AD_Don

You seem to be the person to ask regarding Headphones.
Am looking at upgrading my home listening experience, particularly since I work arvos, therefore donā€™t get home till late at night thus ruling out loud music thru speakers.

FTR, the best sound Iā€™ve heard from headphones to this point are my Shure in ears.They still work after 12 years and I loveā€™m.
For home use, Iā€™ve used Sonyā€™s Studio Monitors which are fine, but Iā€™m after a more refined sound, and feel I can do better.
Had a decent pair of Sennheiserā€™s in the past.
They were super comfy and sounded more than satisfactory, but stopped working.

Anyhow, whilst I plan to use them for stuff like video editing, sound editing, ripping music to computer etcā€¦, the main purpose will be listening to vinyl records thru my amp via a valve Preamp.

Iā€™d like a balanced sound.
Iā€™m not an audiophile, so describing my listening preferences is difficult.
Iā€™d like the bass to be noticeable and punchy, NOT muddy.
It needs to make itself heard, then get outta the way for the other frequencies.
Iā€™d like instrument separation.
I want to be able to hear what the bass guitarist is doing, if itā€™s pertinent to the passage in the song.
Iā€™d like to be able to hear nuances of different percussion instruments.
I want to be filled with emotion when string instruments are utilised.
Iā€™d like to hear Jerry Cantrellā€™s hand moving up and down the fret board, or the squeak on John Bonhamā€™s kick drum pedal.

I realise Iā€™ve probably described a 2k set of headphones, though if you can recommend something at around the 300-400 AUD mark, Iā€™m all ears.

Oh, also, Iā€™m thinking over ear headphones.
Cheersā€¦

in the market for a new tv. 65" and around a 2k budget

go

getting in early for the remote through the tv on saturday?

4 Likes

I got the Samsung crystal a couple of months ago. 50 inch it was RRP $899. I love it. My friend also copied and bought the same one.

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/samsung-65-inches-tu8000-4k-uhd-smart-led-tv-ua65tu8000wxxy?istCompanyId=3bea4a6c-bec2-47ac-ad52-cc426c68327c&istFeedId=e8d5c196-db26-43bb-982c-cfe72bb147d0&istItemId=irtilaaww&istBid=t&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=11754749459&cq_con=122535764788&cq_term=&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=u&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&cq_loci=&cq_locp=9070895&cq_mtype=&cq_dvic=m&cq_dvicm=&cq_trg=&cq_pdid=UA65TU8000WXXY&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrfD-5qS07wIVFJjCCh3FLAaqEAQYAiABEgLu-vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Iā€™m a Sony fanboi so happy to flog their stuff.

Iā€™ll see what I can dig up.

But Iā€™d also recommend looking at Ozbargains . Com (or something similar)

Once you find out what your looking for, or even if your not sure, people post all the specials etc that you can get.

2 Likes

Hmmm.

Couldnā€™t find the right tv I would recommend in your budget.

Things to consider if you havenā€™t already

• most have poxy speakers, so youā€™ll need a decent sound bar or better yet AV system. Maybe you need to budget for this.
  • after tonnes of research I found out that for some weird reason November has historically been the best month to by TVs in Australiaā€™s. (Some dude had a spreadsheet and tracked sales foe a few yearsā€¦)
  • thereā€™s always sales and always new tech around the corner. I love getting the biggest and best, but for TV Iā€™ll buy one thatā€™s the run out model.
  • do you really need all the YouTube Netflix features etc. also howā€™s the user interface? Some of them are terrible. If youā€™re running everything through a set top box, who cares? I use a Fetch TV and PS4 (Netflix, Disney) for all my streaming and itā€™s easier.

Good luck, love getting a new tv!!!

1 Like

You donā€™t need to spend that much.

The thing about TVs is that the tech gets better exponentially. So even if you dropped 3-4 grand on a TV youā€™d still want a new one in 5 years anyway.

So spend less - the difference between the 1200 ones (which you can usually get for under a grand on special) and the 2000 ones is negligible, and the difference between the 3000 dollar+ ones is only really noticeable to massive picture quality nerds

So spend less, and if you want to keep up with the Joneses then replace it twice as often.

2 Likes

thanks for the replies! and yes, use YouTube and Netflix all the time. i have a sound bar and sub, so thats sorted

does anyone have a 75", do you find it too big? i definitely want a 65" at least

75 is a cinema

1 Like

I want a sound bar. How much should I spend on that?

I spent 350 on a Samsung one with a sub, its good!

1 Like