Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

I’ve always had Samsung TV’s and never had an issue.

Current 2 I have are a 60" LCD Series 8 which I got about 4 years ago and hasn’t missed a beat.

New one I’ve got is a 55" curved LED Series 9 which is a phenomenal TV. I was a bit skeptical l with the curved screen but it just looks like a flat screen after 2 mins of viewing it. Curved gives you better viewing angles the wider you sit, so it’s great if you’ve got a big long room.

I've always had Samsung TV's and never had an issue.

Current 2 I have are a 60" LCD Series 8 which I got about 4 years ago and hasn’t missed a beat.

New one I’ve got is a 55" curved LED Series 9 which is a phenomenal TV. I was a bit skeptical l with the curved screen but it just looks like a flat screen after 2 mins of viewing it. Curved gives you better viewing angles the wider you sit, so it’s great if you’ve got a big long room.

But doesn’t it give you worse viewing angles on the side closest to you?

You’d think that but no. I can sit 3-4 metres away from centre and still see the full picture.

If you’re considering curved go look at one for 10-15 minutes and you’ll see

I bought a cheap Samsung Plasma and it works fine.

My folks bought a fancy Samsung LED and it’s been rubbish.

I bought a cheap Samsung Plasma and it works fine.

My folks bought a fancy Samsung LED and it’s been rubbish.

That’s settled, then.

Ive never been a fan of LED tv’s, the forground often looks superimposed on backgrounds imo. Too digitised at edges or something, not sure what it is.

I’ve got a 55" Samsung LED and it’s fine. Series 6 I think, so it’s got most of what you want…even 3D which is of no earthly use to me.

I also had a 32" Samsung in the bedroom which died in the backside after about 3 years, so I just replaced it with a Panasonic from Costco.

I’m not surprised it died, but I really think you ought to consult the owner’s manual before shoving it in there.

1 Like

I have a Samsung LCD 42" must be around 2009/2010 vintage still going strong.

I'm not surprised it died, but I really think you ought to consult the owner's manual before shoving it in there.

32 inches, right up in there…

Impressive.

Don’t just stick to the big few brands. I bought a Sharp LCD in about 2010 and its fantastic. Has never missed a beat and the picture is great for the (cheap) price.

Don't just stick to the big few brands. I bought a Sharp LCD in about 2010 and its fantastic. Has never missed a beat and the picture is great for the (cheap) price.

There was a time, not so long ago, when Sharp were one of the biggest brands.

1 Like
Don't just stick to the big few brands. I bought a Sharp LCD in about 2010 and its fantastic. Has never missed a beat and the picture is great for the (cheap) price.

aren’t they an OEM?

Plasma is legit, I don’t want to have to buy another TV when it dies.

aren’t they an OEM?

They are now.

My Jabra Move Wireless headphones are the boss. Thank you Rolo, thank you Wirecutter.

Plasma is legit, I don't want to have to buy another TV when it dies.

If you have a chance have a look at a laser projector… Comes in just under $15k but wow.

Holden, PC, Canon, Adidas, Android, Cats, 4wd, Steamed, Les Paul, Melbourne, Chrome, Black, Vegemite, Tesla, Coke, Evolution, NVidia, Intel, Jedi, Sleep

started looking at a new TV.

what are the features i should be keeping on my shopping list?

Don’t REALLY want to go above the 40inch we currently have, but it seems 55inch is the regular size these days.