Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

Inputs was the sentence before which I snipped for some reason, Both 4k, sound quality no idea

I’ve bought a bit of stuff from Aldi, most of it’s alright.

Yep, no qualms with Aldi gear being pretty decent stuff, but no led tv competes with an oled screen, no matter who made it. It’s kind of like saying a kia is a match for a porche because they both have 6 cylinders. The Aldi might compare to an led from anyone else, I wouldn’t know. But compete with an oled it just can’t. It’s got zero to do with the manufacturer and everything to do with the technology.

Aren’t OLED TVs supposed to be unreliable?

Please tell me you haven’t bought a Porsche

3 Likes

Nope. The panels are hard to make. High failure rate in the manufacturing process, but the ones that are successfully manufactured are no more unreliable than anything else.

*plus David Warner says they grouse!

1 Like

Save on the tv. Buy cocaine.

1 Like

This thread looks like the best place for my queries…

Due a potential lockdown (aka Social isolation) I need to purchase the following:
Good set of headphones for all the great dj thread tunes
40 inch smart TV and (maybe) soundbar

Any recommendations/ideas?
Thanks heaps,
Hof

Buying quality without spending a fortune I would suggest check out the B&W P7 headphones. Great sound, look good, somewhere around 16 - 18 hrs battery life.They’re wireless. Superb for the price. They’re around the $350 mark.

Soundbar: I run a JBL which is quite adequate for me. It cost about $500. There are some decent ones available cheaper than that though.

Sorry no idea on the tv. I run an Oled, and they are pricey.

1 Like

Thanks ‘Boot.

With wireless h/p, would they also work to the TV?

Some tv’s yes, some no. But a bluetooth adapter costs bugger all, so there’s no problem.

1 Like

Hi @Hoffy - these are excellent - even if you don’t have a hearing loss.

https://audeara.com/

Just think of it as forward planning!

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check these out. They are reasonably priced too.

Got a LG TV recently. 65”, paid about $1200-1300 I think. Pretty happy with it. We couldn’t justify going OLED, don’t really use it heaps (other than Thomas the Tank Engine).

Make sure when you’re shopping get the shop staff to grab a remote and have a play with the menus. Some of them are a lot better than others, some throw ads at you in the menus now.

2 Likes

Thanks HAP, will do

Got Bose Qc35 Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones. Love them. The new model is better for phone calls too. Syncs to the tv I think.

Not many 40inch TVs around. Do you live in a caravan?

1 Like

Thanks THT, I check out the Bose ones.

Unfortunately, my lounge room is long but very narrow (only 3.1m), the only place for TV is along one wall and couch on other side. So 40inch, is the biggest I can go.

I am a head phone addict so may be able to assist.

Some questions that you should think about:

What music do you like? Every headphone involves a trade off. Some are better at making rock sound like you’re front row at the concert. Others can allow you to pick out the oboe playing in a full orchestral piece.

Do they need to be isolating (do you want to shut our external noise and/or prevent noise leak from your headphones so you don’t bother those around you?

Do you want them to be wireless? There will be a trade off in quality for convenience but that may not matter for you unless you’re chasing the perfect sound.

How portable do they need to be? Do you want around ear, on ear or in ear?

Lastly, how much are you willing to spend? You could spend up to the price of a new car if you wanted (I presume only sound engineers and the insanely rich would buy those ones).

Once you know the answers to the above you can really narrow down your options. I really recommend finding a proper headphone store where you can try some out as it is the best way to get a pair you like. I have saved so much money by trying in store before buying - a number of times I’ve been convinced from reviews what I was going to buy only to try them I find out they weren’t as comfortable/as good at playing one or more of my favourite songs/had a sound that didn’t grab me etc.

2 Likes

Cmon man, tell us some decent ones for each of your criteria please.

You’d be surprised I reckon.

We had a 40 inch sitting opposite about 3.8m away (wall to wall) and now upgraded to 65inch and it’s about right (could probably go bigger)

Originally I thought 40 was ok, but just go as big as possible

2 Likes