Appliance Buying Guide: What's good and stuff

I’ve had horrible experiences with wireless headphones. Any mid range price recommendations would be great. Thanks

It’s hard because there’s so many out there, they’re all different and it’s such a personal thing.

But for example, I have the Bose sound sport free which I use when I’m exercising. If you’re looking for in ear headphones that are sweat resistant, don’t move when you work out and are proper wireless (no cord connecting the earpieces with each other) then you should definitely check them out. The other one I would look at in this category would be the jabra elite. I don’t think the sound is as good as the Bose but you get much more isolation as they sit right in your ear whereas the Bose do not so you can much more outside noise. I prefer the Bose because I run and (sometimes) bike and still want to hear things around me for safety reasons. Also I trade off the isolation for better sound.

For my in ear headphones my favourites atm are the beyerdynamic xelento. They’re a single dynamic driver headphone (rare these days when like razors it’s all about the more the better) with great clarity and precision. They are not as good at rock and pop as others (but they’re still pretty good in this area) because they have a faithful balance between bass, mids and treble. There are certainly headphones which are more fun to listen to rock and pop with. But my goodness they make classical music sing (and if a headphone cannot make my favourite classical pieces sing then they don’t get purchased). Each instrument is separated and the sound is true and vibrant. Simply superb. Having said that I wouldn’t recommend that someone buy them without trying them. Firstly, others would find the sound flat depending on the music they are listening to (I wouldn’t buy them if I listened to a lot of house for example). They have a short nozzle so they don’t sit deep in your ear canal. That may not be to everyone’s preference.

I’m mindful that I find this stuff really interesting but it’s already tldr for most so I won’t go on. But happy to give more thoughts if anyone’s interested.

4 Likes

Same. I tend to avoid wireless as the drop in sound quality isn’t worth the convenience (except when using them for exercise).

What price is mid range for you? What music do you like?

1 Like

Thinking about 200-250 is what I’d be willing to pay. As long as they’re reliable and noise cancelling I’m pretty easy.

Whatever you do, dont buy from Harvey Norman.

Gerry Harvey is a greedy bugger, who has claimed the coronavirus is nothing.

And his business is killing it because of the shut in measures.

Go support Bing Lee, myer/djs jb etc instead.

2 Likes

Totally agree that Gerry Harvey can FRO but aren’t the big wigs at every other retailer much the same? Legit question, not trying to be provocative :slight_smile:

Can anyone recommend a good set of clippers? I’m not going out for a haircut anytime soon…

Everybody else keeps a low profile but you can bet they think the same way as ole mate Gerry.

1 Like

I splurged on Shure in ear headphones 12 years ago, and the sound is amazing…effing pricey though.

For value for money, I can’t go past these.
Have purchased 2 units over the years…

1 Like

Not sure if your taking the ■■■■ or not but I’d go for Wahl.

1 Like

2nd’ed

1 Like

I’m not taking the ■■■■! This is going to last for months. My hair is super thick and I won’t last that long without a haircut, so number 1 it is! (I have never had a number 1 in my life)

I only have Foxtel to wtach Essendon games but now I will cancel. Mrs AT likes some of the UK channel shows which I see are available at much lower costs on Fetch TV.

Does anyone here use Fetch TV? And is the “mighty” box worth the extra price?

I got a Vidal Sassoon crew cut jobbie from Shaver Shop for about $120. Run it around your bonce in a circular fashion. Works well.

1 Like

Has anyone got a battery powered Lawnmower.
I’m thinking of getting one, I only have a suburban block so no acres of mowing, but there is a bit to keep me busy.

Yep, Ryobi. Fantastic

1 Like

Thanks! I have a couple other Ryobi battery powered products.

Yeah likewise, unfortunately the mower battery is a big one, needs it’s own charger. But yeah, does the job, last for yonks, no fumes

1 Like

Thanks! You have convinced me.

:ok_hand:

And i’ll mysteriously go missing when it fizzes out after five minutes! But a little more advice, probably go for the larger models. Think mine is the second biggest of 3, at least back when I bought. Still pretty light but good width and more robust

1 Like