Are Mining Interests behind Aboriginal community closures?

Two new stories related to this issue:

I would suggest people watch 4 Corners this Monday night.

yes, please do. Im looking forward to you again generalising the Kimberly into whats happening around the rest of the country but Im also looking forward to you seeing some of the positive action taken.

Four Corners have a program on these issues tonight.

Repeated several times on ABC1 & News24 several times over the next week.

Four Corners have a program on these issues tonight.

Repeated several times on ABC1 & News24 several times over the next week.

it will be interesting to see what different peoples take-aways are from it.

What did you get out of it trip?

1. That certain communities are unsustainable and funding for them needs to be re-assessed.
  2. Government must have a plan as to where the people from these communities go should they wish to leave if funding is reduced. Letting them drift onto outskirts of bigger centres like Broome is just shifting the problem.
  3. Indigenous people need to start controlling their own destiny.

1. That certain communities are unsustainable and funding for them needs to be re-assessed.
  2. Government must have a plan as to where the people from these communities go should they wish to leave if funding is reduced. Letting them drift onto outskirts of bigger centres like Broome is just shifting the problem.
Awesome, and that's what I keep talking about with empowerment and sustainability and setting up micro economy's

Fkg concur with points 2 & 3. Point 1 is a murky issue IMHO. Not so clear cut that it can't work, but the economics of it does not work at the moment.

I thought the most interesting take away for me was the great job of illustrating what bought about the communities in the first place, a lot of people just thought they formed around exisiting bush clans

Awesome, and that's what I keep talking about with empowerment and sustainability and setting up micro economy's

Yes, this! Give a man a fishing rod yah de yah da. Australia needs to be more constructive in their allocation of support funding - across the board.

Yes, this! Give a man a fishing rod yah de yah da. Australia needs to be more constructive in their allocation of support funding - across the board.

I’ve had this model for quite a while on how the communities in the Kimberly could be more self sustaining around, implementation of renewable energy systems that are operated by the communities on traineeship programs. That post school, all kids have to enter into a 12 or 24 month skills certificate traineeship, but communities based and re;event. That provides a skill that can then be hireable by the government to assist with the sustainability. Then support services that may grow side business, such as retail, services, small business management. There is so much opportunity to grow peoples skill sets. Early childhood development. The biggest mistake in my eyes that seems to be the case in every community I have visisted is this unspoken idea that they cant or don’t want to look after themselves, that all services have to be provided externally. That’s horseshit, why not have the health services nurses be people from the community, why not have site maintenance be performed by trained locals etc etc

Money needs to be spent no doubt but it could be done so more positively than it is.

The real problem, and this is riff in the Kimberly is there is a massive pool of money and a lot of people external put there hand in the cookie jar far more than their fair share. I know a sparkie who flys in to Fitzroy crossing from Broome and he charged the community $1700 per hour to fit safety switches, spent 3 days there (fished for 2 of them) and came back with over 30k.

I’ve had this model for quite a while on how the communities in the Kimberly could be more self sustaining around, implementation of renewable energy systems that are operated by the communities on traineeship programs. That post school, all kids have to enter into a 12 or 24 month skills certificate traineeship, but communities based and re;event. That provides a skill that can then be hireable by the government to assist with the sustainability. Then support services that may grow side business, such as retail, services, small business management. There is so much opportunity to grow peoples skill sets. Early childhood development. The biggest mistake in my eyes that seems to be the case in every community I have visisted is this unspoken idea that they cant or don’t want to look after themselves, that all services have to be provided externally. That’s horseshit, why not have the health services nurses be people from the community, why not have site maintenance be performed by trained locals etc etc

Money needs to be spent no doubt but it could be done so more positively than it is.

The real problem, and this is riff in the Kimberly is there is a massive pool of money and a lot of people external put there hand in the cookie jar far more than their fair share. I know a sparkie who flys in to Fitzroy crossing from Broome and he charged the community $1700 per hour to fit safety switches, spent 3 days there (fished for 2 of them) and came back with over 30k.

I don’t understand how the sparkie situation occurs. Who hires sparkie ? Are quotes requested ? Who pays the bills ? Is there no audit process ?

If it’s govt it should go through an open tender process.

I would hazard a guess no-body else applied for the tender.

Write your own cheque time.

I’d be surprised if this sort of thing wasn’t happening elsewhere too. The assumption is the govt costs are unavoidable. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these jobs are being sub-contracted to a contractor for the council. And the zeroes just pile up. A lot of govt contracting systems work well for city/suburbs or regional centres where there’s competition, middle of nowhere’s a different story.

I don’t understand how the sparkie situation occurs. Who hires sparkie ? Are quotes requested ? Who pays the bills ? Is there no audit process ?

Ok so (and this is only in happens in the Kimberly that I’m aware of, the services and maintainence are all subcontracted to a few companies who are set up specifically for community work, those companies in some cases like to funnel cash to their mates, so while the job might be small the quoted job may not be.

what HAP said

If it's govt it should go through an open tender process.

I would hazard a guess no-body else applied for the tender.

Write your own cheque time.

I’d be surprised if this sort of thing wasn’t happening elsewhere too. The assumption is the govt costs are unavoidable. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these jobs are being sub-contracted to a contractor for the council. And the zeroes just pile up. A lot of govt contracting systems work well for city/suburbs or regional centres where there’s competition, middle of nowhere’s a different story.

It is happening at the off-shore processing centres. The building maintenance/repairs are subcontracted out and the amount paid is exorbitant.

Yup. Happens with a fair few Govt jobs.

Not just limited to government.

Yup. Happens with a fair few Govt jobs.

So. We’re quite comfortable with that are we ?

Get overpaid by Centerlink for a few dollars and you have to pay it back.

$1700 per hour. Phhhft. Just pay it , doesn’t matter.