At the movies - From the couch

Sexy Beast - this film gets better on every viewing. Ben Kingsley & Ian McShane are terrifying. Taught, tense, incredibly funny. If you haven’t seen it do yourself a favour.

Body Double - This is easily in my top 3 De Palma’s, can’t believe I haven’t seen it until now. So sleazy, so Hitchcockian, so violent. What a fun time.

Evil Dead (2012) - Better than it had any right to be really. Lacks the humour of Raimi’s trilogy and no protagonist as remotely watchable as Bruce Campbell, but its tense, supremely violent and over the top.

3 Likes

That movie single handedly desensitises the c bomb to all those who watch it.

If Kingsley won an Oscar for ghandi he should have won 2 for this.

3 Likes

I had that same experience a few years ago when I convinced my daughter to sit down with me and watch Willow…a movie I had fond memories of, and one that I wanted to share with her.

Let’s just say that it didn’t go so well…my memories of the movie did not show up on the screen all those years later.

3 Likes

Legend and Labyrinth on the other hand, that’s some genuinely weird ■■■■ that stands up okay I think, if only for practical effects. Might pre date Willow though, different little pocket of fantasy film making. And a bit more adult oriented

I only watched Legend sometime in the last 12 months…didn’t think much of it to be honest.

Probably my least favourite Tom Cruise movie (except maybe Interview With the Vampire)

Yep hard to keep the attention span of the youngun’s

Aladin - boring
Lion King - Boring
Toy story - liked it
Finding nemo - loves it
liked the new karate kid with will smiths kid, but not the original…but likes Cobra kai

She was 16 at the time :laughing:

Man the 80’s were creative. Legend, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, ET, Highlander, Alien, Predator, Back to the Future the list goes on and on.

Now we get the hundredth iteration of marvel and the tenth fast and the furious.

7 Likes

Alien was 1979 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Close enough :joy:

Aliens was made in the 80s.

Which I think was much better than Alien.

1 Like

I agree, but a sequel didn’t really fit my rant on originality.

2 Likes

It was a strange one, I’ve probably got a soft spot for it for the terrific depiction of Satan. Tom is just a pretty boy doing some acting. Mia Sara is a very, very pretty girl doing some acting. Tim Curry is Satan. I might watch it again…

Nope. Fun and scary film but can’t beat the original for atmosphere and believability. Especially on Betamax.

Agree to disagree.

1 Like

Alien has a lot of death scenes in it that have aged very poorly. Some are borderline comical.

Still a good movie but Aliens is better, especially the extended edition (which is improved over the theatrical).

1 Like

James Cameron just does it better.

I will watch Aliens anytime it’s on.

Alien is still a good watch though.

1 Like

He’s the GOAT when it comes to the technical aspects of film and technology in cinema.

Every single one of his movies has aged significantly better than the overwhelming majority of movies. (obviously excluding his debut piranha thing).

Terminator 2 came out in 1991. It’s ridiculous

3 Likes

Everything Everywhere All At Once - I had similar issues with this as I did with Swiss Army Man - admired its ambition and its willingness to embrace lunacy more than I did watching it. Both are successful messes on their own terms. They do get really good performances out of their actors though, and its great to see Ke Huy Quan acting again. Curious to see what they direct next.

2 Likes

I still reference Titanic when it comes to the mastery of James Cameron’s production.

25 odd years old. If you told me it was released yesterday, I’d believe you. All the CGI and technology in the world can’t beat making a massive reproduction of the actual ship itself, legitimately sinking it, and filming it.

1 Like