At the movies - From the couch

The good thing about living here is that we don’t get to see this garbage.

I watched Megan today, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be, which is a good thing, very suspenseful, well acted and not over heavy on the gore.

a few people have suggested it’s just a Childs Play reboot, would disagree, the AI used for the toy is really possible today, so its not a far fetched horror scenario but a, this could really happen now.

Really good movie…Watch it!

3 Likes

Watched Transfusion, a new Australian film on Stan. Sam Worthington and Matt Nable in the main roles. Nable also wrote and directed the movie.
Never worked out if Worthington has an undestated style or a limited range, but he was damn good in this, as was Nable.
I thought it was a very good movie, but incredibly intense. Expect it do well at the next AACTAs.

1 Like

Last Night in Soho.

What a stinker. McKenanzie is miscast, ATJ is wasted. Direction is a mess, production is ugly, based off a script so bad I could of written it. Edgar Wright has lost the plot.

Big Fish.

Didn’t think too much of it on release but it stands out now as probably Burton’s last good movie? Maybe you could argue Sweeney Todd but even that’s a movie i’d never revisit.

I saw Last Night in Soho. Didn’t recognise Diana Rigg in her last film. But yeah…not too flash!

1 Like

Ballad of Buster Scruggs - can’t recall what it’s called.

Thought it was ■■■■, thought there was some great cinematography, and a couple of aspects I quite liked. But really, it just wasn’t great

Yer, i watched it last night on USItunes.
Pretty good, as expected.

The young New Zealand dancer (Amie Donald) who plays M3GAN was a genius casting decision.
Her ability to perform physical actions practically rather than using CGI made it more believeable.
For example, that dog run scene is actually Amie, so is that freaky dance near the end of the movie.

They should make a sequel, and i think there is scope to improve on this one.

1 Like

They’ve already announce a sequel will be released in 2025

2 Likes

Kinda hoping for a M3GAN/Child’s Play crossover with the renewed popularity of that franchise.

Yes, easy to see a sequel with all the docs on her build having been stolen.

For release Feb 23 in Thailand

2 Likes

I have serious doubts about this statement.
While it’s not a definitive argument, do a top ten list from 40s - 90s and compare to the stuff being made now. In my opinion the latter list will be markedly inferior.
The statement ‘all the good stories have already been told’ was forgotten when cinema came along; it was an exciting and inventive way of retelling these classic stories. But we’re now starting to see the evidence of this. Everything has the distinct whiff of a rehash. There are too many iconic movies that have already done ‘it’ to near perfection.
The age of genius directors was characterised by how inventively they navigated the limitations of their medium. The capabilities of cinema are unbounded now and this has seemed to correlate with a downturn in creativity. We are in an age of cinematic spectacle - see the original Blade Runner and the recent sequel for a representation of this change.

3 Likes

You’re comparing the best ten films in sixty years of cinema to what?
The last ten years?

2 Likes

I think both Blade Runner movies are awesome and high points of film production and artistry. So it kinda defeats your point.

1 Like

Agreed. The quality films from this era are more cynical films. Rather than the unbridled film making courage and joy of older times.

Pretty sure he means from any comparable time period from back then…

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of the original (the Final Cut version to be precise). When 2049 came out I expected it to be crap, and I went to see it and found that yes, it’s crap.

Recently I thought that maybe I had been too hasty, or too prejudiced, so I watched it again. My original opinion wasn’t just confirmed, it was reinforced. Complete garbage. Any film that contains the line, “You just broke the world!” condemns itself. It’s totally devoid of real invention - the same old flying cars. And of course the nod to political correctness with the female big boss. It’s about 3 hours long, and after two hours, when there was yet another ridiculous plot twist, I gave up. I just wasn’t interested in seeing what happened next.

1 Like

I have watched the original Blade Runner multiple times, and 2049 twice. Fair to say the sequel doesn’t stand up very well by way of comparison. The plot is weak to the point of being vanilla, and the character development lacks interest.

I watched Shadow of Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock) made in the early 40’s on Sunday, was very good.

An uncle goes to stay with his sister’s family coz he’s on the run for murder. They don’t know this. The niece senses it could be him and he senses that she may know.

4 Likes

didn’t you know wim that there were zero bad movies made in the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990s

-edit- worth noting that the most recent police academy movie was made in the 1990s, so declaring that everything made since has been inferior to that era probably works

1 Like