At the movies - From the couch

I don’t know why people get so bent out of shape about it.

The past 10-12 years has been absolutely awful, if you’re not a superhero fan.

It’s objectively worse than previous decades.

i think people are just numb/overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices they have these days

between netflix and sbs on demand and disney and whatever else there’s probably 400-500 “new” movies i could watch right now. and even if 0.5% of them are any good that’s still 3 options.

in the 90s you had just the 5 screening at the cinema and the 16ish in the new releases section at video ezy, of which you could instantly rule out 3 or 4 because meg ryan was on the poster/cover.

8 Likes

take me back to the glory days of 1989 where i could go and see halloween 5 or friday the 13th 8 or the karate kid 3 or ghostbusters 2. you know, good original movies.

6 Likes

This is literally the worst argument I have ever seen on Blitz. Well done.

BTW, they are still remaking Ghostbusters & Halloween films to this day. Because they have run out of ideas.

1 Like

Maybe the worst ten movies made in those eras were worse than the worst ten made now…maybe that’s the secret, they were willing to risk be incredibly bad on the off chance that they might be incredibly good. Peaks and troughs, you know.

I don’t think anybody is arguing that the quantity is not bigger these days.

But come on. You’re not going to seriously say with a straight face that the quality of the past decade is even close to the decades before it?

Big budget serialized TV did huge damage to the film industry.

3 Likes

Lol. If you think there hasn’t been good films made in the last 12 years then that’s on you, you’ve given up, and literally become the old man who yells at clouds.

3 Likes

Original movies from 2013-2022 that I feel stand up well

Oblivion
The Wolf Of Wall Street
Edge of Tomorrow
Interstellar
John Wick (I have this as it was original at the time of release regardless of future sequels)
Predestination
Bone Tomahawk
Bridge of Spies
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
The Martian
The Revenant
Spotlight
Free State of Jones
Hacksaw Ridge
La La Land
Atomic Blonde
Dunkirk
The Post
Wind River
The Gentlemen
Motherless Brooklyn
Tenet
Everything Everywhere All at Once

That’s not a bad list (imo) so I think that there are plenty of good movies still being made.

11 Likes

The Japanese and Koreans are killing it too. Heaps of good movies being made there atm.

3 Likes

i have no idea, i haven’t seen enough movies made in the last decade to blindly declare if they are all bad or otherwise. i just dislike lazy criticism.

now see this is a point worth making

2 Likes

I have standards. Sorry.

I think you’ve just turned into an ‘everything was better back in my day’ type, and have given up growing as a human being which is sad but normal at your age.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t infantilise men wearing capes.

I yearn for a time when they would make films for adults.

yep, back in the old days you would go to the video store and go to the new released section to pick something, but then all the movies you wanted to watch would be already out, so you just trawl through the genres of videos that your interested in - action / comedy / rom-com etc and pick something from the 3 dya or weekly section, yeh some would be crap, but you might stumble onto a brilliant movie.

These days you just Hire/Buy the new release movie that heard about.
or rewatch a good movie from the past on netflix that you know. Or follow the algorithm for suggested shows.

2 Likes

This sounds kind of like the same thing to me.

1 Like

One of Teresa Wright’s early batch of classics and near-classics…Mrs Miniver, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Pride of the Yankees

1 Like

Great list, and to add to that;

Leave No Trace
Another Round
Inside Llewyn Davis
Arrival
Elle
Grand Budapest Hotel
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Before Midnight
Mad Max Fury Road
A Seperation
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Drive
Moonlight
Whiplash
Aftersun
Clouds of Silas Maria
Tar
The Hunt
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
Burning
Parasite
Mandy
Pig
Sicario
The Worst Person In The World
Nightcrawler
Florida Project
Moonrise Kingdom
The Master
Sound of Metal
Ex Machina
Amour
The Raid
Blue is the Warmest Colour
Under The Skin

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with you there, the saturation of bland forgetful factory line superhero films has diluted what gets released in a cinema. But great movies made by auteurs and genuine artists still get made and are quite easy to see. You won’t go to the cinema anymore and have the Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon and The French Connection all playing on the same day. That era of cinema was an aberration and we’ll never have it again but you van still see great new movies on a weekly basis if you want to.

Thank you for confirming my point.

Its more a comment about the studio/cinema system rather than the quality of film now vs then but I see you conveniently missed that point.

2 Likes