At the movies - From the couch

I’ve seen it.

I read the novel, by Raymond Chandler, a few years ago. Enjoyed it, definitely. I also read Chandler’s The Big Sleep last year (another Philip Marlowe story) and watched the film adaptation with Bogey and Lauren Bacall. Good, but the plot is pretty convoluted. Mitchum stars at Marlowe in the 1978 remake of The Big Sleep, but apparently that isn’t so good. I have seen Night of the Hunter, a dark film with a very sinister performance by Mitchum.

Oh, and I’ve never seen the original Cape Fear; been on my list for years. The Scorsese remake is excellent though, in my opinion.

Yes, The Big Sleep is not very good.

There’s another Chandler adaptation that’s very different but very good once you get into it is The Long Goodbye made by Robert Altmann and starring Elliot Gould, who’s the most unlikely Marlowe of all time. It’s set in LA in the seventies.

1 Like

My brother pushed this on me for years and I finally, reluctantly, watched it. And really enjoyed it! Gould’s hero character is definitely something a bit different, but is very charismatic.

And yet absolutely nobody remembers the original.

She who must be obeyed is watching “The Great” on Stan. Seems like everytime I walk in or look up there is a sex scene :smile:. Is she trying to tell me something?

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re not living up to your username.

2 Likes

Farewell My Lovely is a remake of Murder, My Love with ■■■■ Powell, Claire Trevor and Mike Mazurki made in 1944, which is just as good as the Mitchum version. Mitchum’s villainous preacher in Night of The Hunter is one of the spookiest characters ever put on film, once seen, never forgotten, and a far scarier than his character Max Cady in Cape Fear. His portrayal in Night of The Hunter is the high water mark of his career IMHO. The original Cape Fear is superior to the Scorsese version just as Mitchum makes a far better Max Cady than DeNiro.

1 Like

The memories. Used to be a tiger. Now a labrador in front of the fire😄

1 Like

The two main guys in the original Cape Fear played the two older guys in the remake.

Mitchum and Peck.

2 Likes

Are there any differences between the original and the remake?

The remake is much more graphic and obvious.

2 Likes

The lawyer in the remake is a much more flawed character. Apart from a few roles ( like Walk the Line ) Gregory Peck was usually cast as someone with a strong and unwavering moral compass. Whereas Nick Nolte was often cast in unsympathetic roles.
To Kill a Mockingbird with Peck as Atticus Finch was released around the same time as the First Cape Fear.

1 Like

The little girl who played Scout (Mary Badham) in Mockingbird began a correspondence with Peck which lasted until his death.

fast x review

script: awful
acting: even worse
cast: fk
action sequences: bloody hell!!!

10/10 movie of the year

1 Like

My wife insisted on seeing this movie tonight. I concur on all of the above points, except the rating, l give it a 6. My wife was also not impressed, just a bit too much of everything that has passed in previous installments. The formula looks tired.

1 Like

understandable viewpoint

one thing this one did have that the others didn’t - some self awareness. that said, i reckon everyone is in on the joke except vin diesel

i reckon jason momoa’s performance is the most “this actor is obviously enjoying themself and having lots of fun” i’ve ever seen. jim carrey from the mask energy. disney villian energy. stupid, ridiculous, scenery chewing, over the top energy. great stuff.

1 Like

The original one is boring and forgettable by today’s standards.

Watched Minority Report.
I do not get the praise. Pointless film and Cruise was…I mean he wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t good.

Edge of Tomorrow was a much better film, and I compare them only because they’re both sci-fi.

Watched Killing of a Sacred Deer.
Unconventional, kind of slow, but engaging.
Our Nic is very good in it, and that’s not something you’ll hear me say very often.

This is my main gripe with modern cinema. No idea when to let a franchise die out. Indiana Jones was questionably rebooted a decade ago to mixed reviews… so lets try it again with an even older lead actor…

Yes, you will make $$$ from these endeavors, but Indiana Jones could have been left in the 70s/80s and be one of those classic movie series which were a testament and product of the time. Instead its just turned into another overly drawn out mess.

Ah well.

1 Like