At the movies - From the couch

Are you criticising the original or today’s standards?

Original one. The reference to todays standards is probably a bit confusing. The remake is utterly memorable in so many ways.

1 Like

I prefer the old Cape Fear, too, but it’s a close run race.
They’re very different movies, but they both hinge on the tone set by the antagonist, Cady. Mitchum, as always, has a quiet menace while De Niro is a demon incarnate.
One of the few examples of original and remake both being worthwhile.

1 Like

In the remake, the de Niro grooming of Juliette Lewis as the teenage daughter was about the most evil part of his character. I don’t remember that being part of the first Cape Fear.

Who cares what critics or rotten tomatoes says tbh. Best to see the movie for yourself and decide.

3 Likes

And? Remakes are not always 100% carbon copies of each other

That movie had a scene that was so unsettling between the two of them

1 Like

I often use it as a guide for what I may spend money on to watch v whether I just torrent it and watch it at home.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I can see why you would do that for smaller films, but the really big blockbusters I’ll always go to the movies and see it on the big screen

I see it the opposite. Blockbusters are for watching on the couch at home with a couple of beers to zone out with while more independent films are for going to the cinema so youre not distracted by other things.

1 Like

Fair enough. There are so many blockbusters that just don’t have the same impact at home when compared to be in a cinema

Top gun
Transformers
Gravity
Dark knight
Avengers

I still remember seeing Independence Day as a kid, my first big blockbuster movie. And it blew my mind.have loved going to the movies ever since

Yeah, I’m not sure they could approach that one so directly in the 1960s.
I find that that’s often what sets older films apart. There were more stringent social taboos that required great craft to be addressed.
Sure there’s an authoritative quote regarding censorship’s role in stimulating good art.

2 Likes

Think this is largely true, but a lot of my best film watching experiences resulted from my expectations being subverted. Sometimes you’re in a mood for one thing and the film is so captivating that it drags you into different territory.
I’d say that’s a quality that blockbusters don’t possess

I can only assume that you didn’t go to see Top Gun: Maverick at the cinema.

There is no way on God’s earth that that movie would be better being seen at home rather than at the cinema.

3 Likes

Minority report is more impressive in the future tech predictions than as an actual film.

The whole thought crime thing - the most interesting aspect of the story - gets a little lost under the action and melodrama.
A social critique reframed as sci-fi thriller.
I Like the movie, though; have softened to Tom Cruise over the years.

1 Like

I watched Top Gun: Maverick at home. I loved it, but kept thinking wished I seen it at the cinema/big screen.

4 Likes

At least at home you’re not forced into contact with ‘the great unwashed’. Mindlessly chomping and slurping like animals at the trough. :nauseated_face:
Kidding… sort of

The hangover of the Hayes Code and the Hollywood post WW2 portrayal of the middle class suburban woman behind the white picket fence (Rosie the Riveter puts on her apron and goes back to the kitchen).
Ida Lupino films subtly challenged those images of living in the USA and blurred the standard roles of goodies and baddies,

I have seen Ben Hur and Lawrence of Arabia many times. These films were made with the BIG screen in mind and that is always the best way to see them. They are not the only films made that way. Epics deserve the big screen. When TVs get to the size of a wall, then they can compete with the cinema experience. TVs are getting closer, but still have a way to go to match the sight and sound quality of a cinema.

1 Like