At the movies - From the couch

His ability to transform from a vulnerable leading man type (Terminator, Aliens) to menacing villain (Abyss, Tombstone) by just growing a moustache is unrivalled.

3 Likes

is there any movies youve liked in the last 2 decades?

Also avatar 2.

The girl who had epilepsy, or some kind of seizure. That didn’t really make any sense to the rest of the movie.

And the ending was stupid. Why would you do that, and then just be chilling with your friends as if nothing happened.

Oh, because there 3 more movies to sell?

Tons. I’m not of the ‘everything was better back in my day’ variety, there are still classics coming out every year, just not a lot of them get a decent or any cinema release because its swallowed up with franchise/marvel schlock. At least i’ll be able to see the new Dune, Nolan & Mission Impossible in cinema later this year. Even Barbie could be a fun time if the reviews are solid.

i dont think you are, i just think you reckon everything is ■■■■

It’s been a slow start to the year, but theres a lot potentially great movies coming so I should be a bit more positive. I love going to the cinema, but when my options are just marvel, marvel, DCU, Fast 18, guy ritchie brain dropping, marvel etc its a bit frustrating.

2 Likes

it’s a point i’ll keep annoyingly making in this thread

there are over 30 different movies that aren’t marvel, dc, disney, any other franchise or any other intellectual property you can go and see in a cinema in melbourne today

2 Likes

I live in Buenos Aires, my options for non-dubbed releases are way more limited.

1 Like
5 Likes

I know it’s Argentina, not Spain…but our tour guide in Spain told us that Portuguese people have far better English than Spaniards, partly because English-language films are subtitled in Portugal and dubbed in Spain.

Personally, I always opt for subtitling, never dubbing.

Yeah, he’s spot on. Its a big reason a lot of Portuguese speak terrific English, they don’t (or its not as common due to a smaller market) dub cinema releases or television and just run with subtitles instead. Whereas in my experience in Spain and South America spanish dubs are the standard and only very select screenings are in their original audio. Conversley when I lived in Colombia in my 20s I became a big fan of watching The Simpsons spanish dub, in part because it was easy to follow as I already had memorised the episodes and knew the beats, and the voice work of the actors was brilliant. It really helped me with training my ear when I was beginning to learn spanish.

You’d reckon having Brazil speak Portuguese would mitigate that market size issue.

Yes, I know there are dialectical differences between Peninsula Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, and significant pronunciation differences, but so there are between US English and British English (even though a lot of Americans wonder why the British claim English as their own language).

I cracked the sads at the English translation of Red Queen, a Spanish novel, because it uses American terms for everything, e.g. DA rather than Crown Prosecutor…r in Scotland, the Procurator Fiscal, or here, the DPP.

Saw the flash tonight. Was decent enough. It’s very ambitious which I respect, but doesn’t really pull it off as well as they could have. The biggest flaw in it is Ezra miller, he just isn’t a good enough actor to nail the role imo- doesn’t help with the guy being a POS in real life either

Some of the CGI isn’t great either.

I forgot how much I loved Danny Elfmans batman score

1 Like

Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant

Gritty war drama set in Afghanistan…revolves around Gyllenhaal’s character and his unit’s interpreter.

Damn good movie (imho), well worth the watch.

8/10

1 Like

All Quiet On the Western Front 2022, 148 min 9/10
I finally got around to seeing the latest iteration during the week. This was a movie experience unlike any other l have ever seen. I found it a deeply disturbing movie, which l feel was one of the main intentions of the director, Edward Berger. l was uncomfortable throughout, l can’t say l enjoyed the viewing and l won’t be hurrying back to watch it again. It wasn’t just the graphic gore, it was that the violence was just so unrelenting and at times random, just like it would be in Ukraine right now. It is interesting to see the war from a few German perspectives, the utter futility of it all, the interplay between the politics and the general staff, in a plot that went far beyond the boundaries of the original story which is familiar to most on here, and there are three versions. I have never seen the 1930 version but was familiar with the 1979 version as it was a companion piece to the novel which l read decades ago. Knowing part of the plot however did nothing to prepare me for the visual assualt on the senses. One of the things that stood out was the sparse use of a musical soundtrack. Such music was unnerving, again, l assume that was a deliberate construct, and there was use of a low mechanical humming sound which filled me with a sense of foreboding and growing dread. As for the battle sequences? They look far more authentic than anything else l have ever seen on film. In the end we are left with a vivid picture of young men being transformed from innocent youth into numb victims of a conflict they can’t avoid or escape.

1 Like

I heard a horrible rumour that they CGI’d Christopher Reeve into this film which is so desperate and cheap that it makes me squeemish. Surely its not true.

That story won’t fly.

3 Likes

Won’t even walk. It’s a super rumour though.

Arnold.

Anyone remotely interested in the man or his movies should watch. Obviously paints him in terrific light but he’s still refreshingly candid and his life story is just rather sensational.

Shallow Grave.

Boyle at his purest minus all the flash he showed later (to his detriment.) One of the better dark comedies of the 90s. Launched Ewan McGregors career, but Christopher Eccleson is incredible. I want to live in that appartment.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

First time watching it in 20 years. Still a visceral and disgusting experience. Feel like you need to have a shower after watching it. Don’t think any film has quite captured the atmosphere of it since. Still relevant as a horror movie 50 years later.

Pulp Fiction.

Again a rewatch that I haven’t seen since a teen. So close to being a perfect film. Edit out some of the painful fluff between Willis and his girlfriend in the hotel room and Tarantinos “dead ****** storage” (yikes) monologue and its 10/10. The dialogue is still so great and Jackson and Travolta are amazing that it might as well still be a 10. I’d probably still choose Jackie Brown as my keeper but wow does this hold up.

1 Like

Jackie Brown is my favourite Tarantino effort.

3 Likes