At the movies - From the couch

Disappointing. A couple of the chick ghostbusters were really funny.

Wonder woman…what?

The bride from Kill Bill
Kate
Zoe Hull Run hide fight
Million dollar baby
Sam Long kiss goodnight
Alita Battle Angel
Hit girl from kickass

Charlize Theron’s character in Atomic Blonde

1 Like

Good hod man. Not even wiki is that bad.

1 Like

If it’s bad because it’s woke you’re rating it with a completely uneccesary bias.

It’s just bad.

Period.

And no, dont go there.

1 Like

Yep It’s bad a film agree not sure why people get triggerd when something is labled as woke tho.

Paul Feig was not interested in making a good Ghostbusters film.

1 Like

Get these women and Charlize Theron’s character in Atomic Blonde, to watch us play a Marvel Stadium Sunday 4.40pm game against a bottom four interstate team, then let them tear up all in their path as they experience the pain and rage.

2 Likes

That actors portrayal of Ric Flair might be the worst bit of acting I have ever seen

1 Like

The majority of them( haven’t seen all those films) the women were strong through their characters journey

Rebooting a male centred franchise with women just because, normally ends in failure.

I really enjoyed Rey being the focal point of the latest Star Wars trilogy because it was a change and made sense from a storyline sense

Much like how the oceans 11 women’s movie will fail, and the female pirates of the Caribbean movie will fail- if it ever actually goes ahead. And sometimes the directors or cast members comments kill a movie before it has even come out

See the latest Charlie’s angels ( the director actually said this movie isn’t for men)or the soon to be released Snow White and the 7 dwarves

2 Likes

Saltburn is…decent.
I can see why it appeals to the younger generation.
It’s got some attention because of a few scenes of sexual…I guess depravity. Perhaps I’m harder to shock than most, but I wasn’t shocked. To be honest, I cringed waaaay harder over a dramatic moment than any of the sex stuff.

I won’t mention one book and another film that it has very strong parallels with, because to even hint at it would ruin the plot. There are very, very strong similarities, though.

To draw another comparison (purely in regard to…updating), it’s very much this generation’s Cruel Intentions/Dangerous Liaisons.

It’s longish, but I feel like the last half hour could still have done with another ten minutes. Seems just a little rushed at the end.
I have other technical criticisms, some plot points seem a little messy, but they feel a little churlish to point out.

The most fascinating characters, for mine, are the parents. But that might also be because…you know…this movie wasn’t meant for me.

Decent.
Not great.
Derivative and faux shocking.
The song at the end in the final scene is cute in a wry sort of way.

It’s on Amazon Prime, I think…

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet, but disappointed that there isn’t a 4th hour!

2 Likes

I watched the first 15min and realized why it was called Saltburn.

This.

It’s like those shocked by it had never seen a truly shocking movie before. Perhaps because I’d watched Killing of a Sacred Deer the night before, I just wasn’t in a shockable mood.

But Saltburn was pretty benign and predictable and trying way too hard.

I do rate Barry Keoghan highly though.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to this one:

2 Likes

Mrs S and I saw Anatomy of a Fall this arvo. It won the Palme d’Or at Cannes and it deserved it.

It’s long, 2h 30m, and probably it could have been 20 minutes shorter, but it never dragged. It’s a courtroom drama. A husband and wife and son, who’s more or less blind, living alone in an isolated chalet somewhere in some mountains in France. The husband is found dead in the snow with a wound to his head caused by a blow. Did he fall and hit his head, or was he pushed by his wife?

I can’t believe that the courtroom scenes were realistic, although I know nothing about French criminal procedure; the questions were more like addresses to the jury than actual questions. But the presentation of the evidence and the gradual revelation of the nature of the relationship between husband, wife and child was superbly done.

If you like action movies, don’t bother. If you like intelligent movies, watch it.

2 Likes

Ghostbusters frozen empire is gonna be worse :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

Because it’s often used sarcastically by many simpletons to describe progressive ideas that they don’t agree with.

2 Likes

Hell or high water

2016 - Jeff Bridges

2 brothers start robbing banks in small town USA when they can’t pay the mortgage.

It’s pretty decent. Never really hits massive highs, or lows. But keeps you hanging on. A little like No Country For Old Men, without the psycho.

5 Likes
1 Like

Just started- enjoying it so far.

2 Likes