At the movies

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760

Good news today. The original David Lynch version in 1984 with Kyle McLachlan and Sting, sucked hugely.

Good news today. The original David Lynch version in 1984 with Kyle McLachlan and Sting, sucked hugely.

Yep, but I have still watched dozens of times.

Been flying... Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Cruise is miscast in this role. The original Reacher in the books is a tall, solid menace of a man that can intimidate the room with his presence. That's why he doesn't use guns. Cruise just looks like an idiot. The film was just okay, but I don't watch Cruise for just okay. Tried to tell too many stories I think. Meh.
I think that "Hollywood" really got to this movie...although Cruise is miscast, he did reasonable job in the first Reacher movie.

The problem with this one was that they made the female lead role too bigā€¦thatā€™s not a Reacher thing

Thatā€™s a fair point. Wouldā€™ve been fine in a movie on its own but yeah itā€™d be like doing a Bourne movie but only half the story is about Bourne.

If there was ever a role for Mickey Rourkeā€¦

Jeffrey Dean Morgan shouldā€™ve been Jack Reacher but it wouldnā€™t have made any money/had a budget then.

l have watched it once, when it first came out, somewhere in the city. l was so disappointed l have not been back to revisit it. l would rather read the book again, for the fourth or fifth time.

l have watched it once, when it first came out, somewhere in the city. l was so disappointed l have not been back to revisit it. l would rather read the book again, for the fourth or fifth time.

The books were magical.

Frank Herbert has a few other, little-known gems worth pursuing, by the way.

Well CJ

I know what you mean, as the book was so good and the film was not so great, but watch it again and you will see a little more of the book in it.

The books were magical.

Exodus?
Iā€™m sure I read one of his others but canā€™t quiteā€¦googlingā€¦
The White Plague.
I liked it.

l have read the 6 books of the Dune series. After book 1, l liked the last book Chapter House next. A few years ago his son wrote some prequels, l read one, it was horrible, a money grab if ever there was one. Trading on his fatherā€™s name, such a shame.

l have also read some of his other books, l rate them also. What makes him stand out for me, is his abilty to create a world, that is totally credible.

The books were magical.

Exodus?
Iā€™m sure I read one of his others but canā€™t quiteā€¦googlingā€¦
The White Plague.
I liked it.

Memory is vague, but I remember liking Lazarus Effect. And a few more in that series. The Dosadai experiment. Priests of Psi.
I used to collect these sc-fi magazines - Galaxy was one of them - I think edited by Asimov (I may be wrong). But Herbert wrote quite a few short stories.

l have read the 6 books of the Dune series. After book 1, l liked the last book Chapter House next. A few years ago his son wrote some prequels, l read one, it was horrible, a money grab if ever there was one. Trading on his father's name, such a shame.

l have also read some of his other books, l rate them also. What makes him stand out for me, is his abilty to create a world, that is totally credible.

Supposedly the books written by his son Brian Herbert were based on notes of the father Frank Herbert,

I think there are 9 Brian Herbert books, and while they are not as good as the original Dune six, they are still worth reading.

I went and saw La La Land on Thursday night.

I missed the very beginning because two Brahton ladies took five minutes to decide what flavour choc-top they were having, but the first half-hour was very Bollywood, but without Indians or Brett Lee. Not that I have much experience of Bollywood, having walked out of the one I went to inside of half an hour.

After that it went more traditional, and was a pretty enjoyable film, carried by the two stars, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Whether it was worth all the Golden Globes, or the Oscar nominations, iā€™m not too sure, but I enjoyed it.

Funnily enough, Iā€™d just started a book by English author Matt Dunn, which has a basic theme almost identical.

At the time I thought it was alright. Watched it again more recently when it showed up on TV.
It didnā€™t age well.

I missed the very beginning because two Brahton ladies took five minutes to decide what flavour choc-top they were having, but the first half-hour was very Bollywood, but without Indians or Brett Lee. Not that I have much experience of Bollywood, having walked out of the one I went to inside of half an hour.

After that it went more traditional, and was a pretty enjoyable film, carried by the two stars, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Whether it was worth all the Golden Globes, or the Oscar nominations, iā€™m not too sure, but I enjoyed it.

Funnily enough, Iā€™d just started a book by English author Matt Dunn, which has a basic theme almost identical.

Thatā€™s pretty much what I thought. Not bad, but not great.

And if you missed the very beginning, you missed the best bit.

Good luck to Brett Lee if he can become a real Bollywood star, by the way. I find their films unwatchable too (especially the bits where some middle-aged guy with a pot belly makes the gorgeous young girl melt into his arms by singing her a song that had no discernible melody and lyrics that are gibberish, even when translated), but evidently lots of Indians love them.

He wouldnā€™t be the first Australian to be a Bollywood star, either.

http://www.australiaunlimited.com/culture/australias-first-bollywood-icon

At the time I thought it was alright. Watched it again more recently when it showed up on TV.
It didnā€™t age well.

Neither have I, but not due to poor script and bad acting.

Good luck to Brett Lee if he can become a real Bollywood star, by the way. I find their films unwatchable too (especially the bits where some middle-aged guy with a pot belly makes the gorgeous young girl melt into his arms by singing her a song that had no discernible melody and lyrics that are gibberish, even when translated), but evidently lots of Indians love them.

Where I came in, the two of them were stuck in the traffic jam. It was just as the whole song-and-dance routine started. It was only 7 minutes after the scheduled start time.

I saw a Bollywood film a few years back (maybe 2009) which was based on a guy trying to get a job with Al Jazeera in Istanbul. I thought it might be good for Istanbul scenery.

3 totally inconsequential song-and-dance routines in 25 minutes had me scuttling for the exit. The girl offered me my money back but I refused, saying sheā€™d warned me it was Bollywood and it was my own stupid fault.

I remember watching a Bollywood movie on an overnight bus in India years ago. A truely horrific experience, apart from the bit in the movie where a bunch of baddies walked into a nightclub and sprayed everyone with bullets (maybe where ISIS got their inspiration?). Once the massacre finished, same bad guys launched into a full-on Bollywood song and dance routine! And this wasnā€™t black comedy btw.

Django Unchained straight into my top 3 movies of all time (equal 3rd).

On Netflix for those who havenā€™t seen it yet

Yep in my top 10 for sure, love it

I watched Eddie the Eagle today and quite enjoyed it. Better than I thought it would be

La La Land 2106 7 / 10
We went to see it last week, as much to see what all the buzz was all about, and as an opportuntiy to avoid the latest Xander Cage effort, which my wife wanted to see. It was okay, mostly, with a couple of flashes of great thrown in. The main theme tune is simple and memorable and the two main characters are fairly well developed. Gosling broods, as the jazz musician, and Emma Stone is solid throughout. It manages to avoid a few cliches with some nice little touches along g the way, such as nods to other films. The third act though, when they have their problems was way too predictable. The film avoids a cliche ending. The dancing was so - so, and it is hard to see what all the Golden Globe excitement is about. Pretty good date night material.