At the movies

Warrior is awesome.

Mad Max is unreal- though he hardly speaks. The film itself… phwoar

1 Like

Barbarella on fuxtel, gotta love it since Ms CB isn’t talking to me.

2 Likes

When there’s a movie I really want to see but it gets reviewed poorly I figure there’s still something interesting I’ll get out of it.

Not the case with Ghost in the Shell. It was far more boring than I anticipated and not nearly as visually interesting as you’d hope.

Then you find out it was directed by the guy who did ‘Snow White and the Huntsmen’ and was written by the people that wrote Transformers 2-4, you know why.

1 Like
1 Like

‘Suburbicon Trailer’ sounds like a new caravan.

1 Like

Looks stunning. Love the art deco colours and sets

Oh, I like it!

Just back from seeing Dunkirk, very good movie. The score was absolutely outstanding and made the movie, but what else would you expect from Zimmer.

Yeah Dunkirk was awesome. I felt exhausted at the end of it.

Went and saw the new Planet of the Apes film today with the Mrs.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t wait to see it again.

Love the new franchise.

1 Like

Finally saw Dunkirk last night. Saw it at IMAX (I had no choice really as I saw the 7-minute teaser clip at IMAX when I saw Rogue One). Absolutely stunning. The Spitfire scenes were brilliantly done although I suspect Tom Hardy would have run out of ammunition by about the third plane he shot at.

Also, that’s one of the first movies ever to get the sound of bullets and artillery shells right.

1 Like

could you elaborate?

Bullets hiss or crackle as they pass you depending on how close they are, followed by the bang of the rifle being fired. Sounds like a whip-crack, followed by a tyre being hit by a heavy mallet (it’s generally referred to as “crack-thump”). Artillery makes a whooshing/vibration sound as it goes over you before exploding and then the subsequent shrapnel makes a whizzing/buzzing noise. The sounds vary depending how far away you are and the direction it is travelling in relation to where you are.

The scenes at the start of the movie where they are running through the streets sounded right and then there was a scene with Kenneth Brannagh standing on the Mole where German artillery was being fired overhead and it made a whirring/vibration sound. Most movies do a stupid whistling sound which is wrong.

Another thing they did very well was the Spitfire dogfighting. The Spitfire designers planned that the wings would shudder when it was approaching stall in tight turns to let the pilot know how close they were to losing control. When Tom Hardy is getting on the tail of the Bf109 in the first dogfight you can hear (and feel if in IMAX!) the plane starting to shudder and vibrate as he’s pulling it around. I thought it was great attention to detail.

8 Likes

I really enjoyed it. I would have it just under the 2nd one as the best of the trilogy,but not by much. One of the best trilogies i have seen in a long long time

It will probably never happen, but i would love the Oscars to have a seperate award for the best Motion Capture performance. Because Serkis sure as hell deserves one, not just for this but his whole body of work in motion capture

1 Like

Dunkirk - loved it.

The new Planet of the Apes was pretty good. I still think the second one is the best by far.

1 Like

The lost city of Z is up there as one of the worst films i have seen this year

We saw in on Sunday, my wife loved it, and l thought it was the best of the Planet of the Apes movies l have seen, including the original. Agree that Serkis is a special talent, that should receive more recognition for his work.

We saw Dunkirk two days before that, and pretty much agree with all the comments l have read. The Spitfire stuff was a little bit too much in places, like shooting down a Stuka when he is gliding down the beach, and having that much ammo. l think one of the ME 109’s also just disappeared when he went after the Heinkel, instead of attacking him. i don’t understand why he didn’t ditch his plane in the shallows and get evacuated along with the others. The music score is about the best l have heard for a movie, ever. It captures the mood of each scene perfectly.

1 Like

Hans Zimmer is on par with John Williams imo, maybe even better

A good score, can make a average movie good, and a good movie great.

Some composers just work so well with Directors.

Spielberg and Williams

Nolan and Zimmer

I fear after 5 movies Sharknado might be running out of ideas…

1 Like