At the movies

The Crowe/Pacino film.

First time I have watched it for a while. It has held up very well.

1 Like

Thorā€™s amazing.

l bought and watched all of these while l was in China. All top movies, l ended up giving away copies of a couple of them to friends to watch. They are all top notch movies.

Just learned itā€™s a local friendā€™s birthday tomorrow, so we are off to see Thor. My favourite super hero back in my college days. l still have a collection of Thor comics stored somewhere back home.

Good call. Unbelievably underrated movie. Pacino is fantastic, but Crowe is next level good. Easily his best acting performance.

3 Likes

Christopher Plummer was phenomenal also. Just an outstanding movie.

Mannā€™s style is usually more conducive to action/thriller films but it works really well with this investigative/dramatic themed movie.

2 Likes

I know a lot of people consider Manhunter a hidden gem, but my memory of it is that has some of the most wooden, cliched, Chief: ā€˜The DA is gonna have my nuts for this, McBain!ā€™ acting I have ever, ever seen.

When compared to Silence it will always suffer, but judged as a standalone film it has a lot of great qualities.

Tom Noonans performance was downright creepy and although Brian Coxā€™s portrayal of Lecter could never be compared to Hopkins it was still a solid performance.

Mann has a very unique approach to films and I though he made this stark and cold which gives it an intense feeling.

The soundtrack/score has aged horribly though.

1 Like

Count me as one of them. William Peterson, Tom Noonan, Brian Cox and Stephen Lang, were excellent throughout. The pacing was atmospheric and menacing, just as you would want it to be.

1 Like

Saw BR 2049 yesterday in spite of poor review on the wireless.
Enjoyed it. Noisy and some scenes too long but enjoyed it (as did the missus).
It works as a sequel albeit a little late!
Will check out Three Billboards, looks interesting.

To each their own, I guess.

Havenā€™t heard laughs in a cinema like thor ragnarok ever.

1 Like

Wanted so much to like Bany Driver.

Thought it was half good, then just descended into shoot outs, explosions and the like. Seems Hollywood just blows its wad over guns and explosions

I think Hollywood is about to blow its wad over Hollywood blowing its wad when it shouldnā€™t have been!

Just back from Thor, Armageddon, seven of us went, and the universal rating was; excellent. Lots of genuine laughs, my wife got most of the jokes and loved it. The humour is one of the main things that sets Marvel apart from DC. Plenty of tie-ins to other characters / themes in the MCU, Looks like a love interest forming. I like where l think this one is heading in the near future / next instalment. Kate Blanchett was one of the more memorable villains, for a few different reasons.

1 Like

I also saw Thor last night. Loved it. Chris Hemsworth has brilliant timing for comedy. I know some donā€™t like the Marvel Cinematic Universe/comic movie genre, but I reckon they are yet to produce a stinker. Some have been a bit" meh", but none have sucked as hard as pretty much all the DC movies thus far (granted Wonder Woman was better than the others).

The Kiwi actor who did the voice for the big rock guy was hilarious. I know the voice but canā€™t place what other movies/shows heā€™s been in.

3 Likes
1 Like

Heā€™s actually the director of the film. He has cast himself in his other movies.

1 Like

As Vanders said he is the director and according to IMDB; Taika Waititi based Korgā€™s character on Polynesian bouncers: ā€œWe wanted to change the idea of what a hulking guy made of rocks could be. Heā€™s huge and heavy, but with a light soul, and heā€™s funny and friendly.ā€

1 Like

Stayed home last night and was in the mood for a movie.
Had never seen Almost Famous before and decided to watch it on one of the sbs channels.

Loved it and canā€™t believe I had never seen it before.
Think Kate Hudson is a babe but she is always in terrible movies.
Not this one and obviously this was one earlier in her career.

4 Likes