At the movies

Thor Ragnarok - was a blast. Very funny, and I like that Marvel is embracing the whole comic/comic concept.
By far the best Thor movie, and one of the better Marvels.

8.5/10

Love the kiwi accent of the rock

2 Likes

haha yeah - ā€˜Korgā€™ I think his name is?
I also like the ā€˜melting stickā€™ hahahahaha

Finally got around to watching Hacksaw Ridge last night.

Really liked it.

3 Likes

Same.

But can you tell me why the Japanese didnā€™t just go over to the edge and remove the ladder at some point, or at least set up along the ridge and shoot down at the americans?

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t in the script.

3 Likes

Saw Final Portrait last night. Directed by Stanley Tucci and starring Geoffrey Rush as Alberto Giacometti, a painter whom I had barely heard of and knew nothing about. Having watched the film I donā€™t know much more than I did, and I have no desire to learn more. What I do know is that he smoked continuously, drank too much, and was prone to fits of self doubt.

This was one of those films where an actor, in this case Rush, has a fine old time looking strange and behaving erratically and generally making a spectacle of himself, and gets at least a nomination and possibly the Oscar for best actor.

The film was just boring. I guess it was supposed to be an observation of the artistic process, and maybe it was that, but it was also squirm-in-the-seat boring.

I had a recommendation from SBS to watch Wings of Desire, a Wim Wenders film set in West Berlin filmed in 1987, but judging by the amount of empty sites I would have said 1970ā€™s because West Berlin was always prosperous whereas East Berlin was grey and boring.

This is about 2 angels who look down on humanity and muse on humanityā€™s foibles and failing, until one, played by Bruno Ganz falls in love with a trapeze artiste with a magnificent mane of hair.

Also stars Peter Falk whoā€™s come to Berlin to make a movie set during WW2, and who has an extremely interesting pastā€¦of course, everyone recognises him as Columbo.

David and Margaret raved about thisā€¦itā€™s largely in black and white, but Iā€™m afraid I find German films to be a touch lugubrious. Itā€™s not that easy to follow. They donā€™t have the joie de vivre that the French and Spanish can produce, although of course, they both do some pretty noir stuff.

Youā€™ll all know Bruno Ganz from his many starring rolesā€¦as the Gold Coast president raging about why GC didnā€™t pick up Dyson Heppel, as Andrew Demetriou raging about the saga.

In reality, he played Hitler in The Downfall.

Surely a gag?

Dude, you can like whatever movies you like, but you are so incorrect so Spider-Man itā€™s not funny.

Liz Allen was in the comic before Mary Jane was, his first girl friend was actually Betty brant, before Gwen Stacy, Peter Parker was conceived and written as a 15 year old kid and has always been written as younger to established marvel heroes, his whole premise is nothing goes right for him, it referred to as the ā€œold Parker luckā€.

I believe Tobey was the best Spidey, however Tom Holland is the closest to real age they have ever got and they clearly made the decision to not repeat characters and villains that have been rebooted twice in 10 years, hence no uncle Ben, jjj, etc.

No, that was ā€œThe Informantā€. Very different, but still a very good movie. Matt Damon.

Remade in 1998 as City of Angels with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. Only so - so.

Well, thereā€™s a reason not to watch it - Nicholas Cage.

1 Like

Nicholas cage is awesone. Been involved in 3 of my favourite actions films. The Rock, Con Air and Face Off

Snake eyes is pretty good too

Always enjoyed the national treasure movies too

Though lately he has been involved in a lot of rubbish

2 Likes

Youā€™re serious, arenā€™t you? In anything resembling a person with human feelings, he sucks big time.

But then, those three films donā€™t require that.

We have markedly different tastes. I just reckon heā€™s lucky heā€™s got some very famous relatives in the industry.

I reckon Lord of War is the best Nic Cage film in the last 20 years. Probably helps when you have other decent actors holding you up. Everything else he has done has been pure trash and to help pay the bills.

1 Like

I always find nyself watching this on fta tv when itā€™s on. Love the confrontation at the end of the movie where he says ā€œAint know we Kevin. You got snake eyesā€.

Raising Arizona, then daylight

He can act believe it or not, but Leaving Las Vegas was one depressing film

2 Likes

very serious. If he is given good material to work with his can produce good performances.

I would class him as one of the best actors of his time or anything like that, but i think he is a very good actor

Who are his famous relatives in the industry? is he related to coppola?

Yup