At the movies

People in here have excellent taste!

That Thing You Do, Apollo 13 and Crimson Tide are all sensational. I would probably sub Apollo 13 in for Basterds on my list actually.

1 Like

Yep. Only ā€œfavourite moviesā€ not ā€œlook how fancy my taste in film isā€

Yep Back To the Future is in my top 10.

Truman Show I think Iā€™ve seen about 12 times. Cant remember watching any other movies more than 3 or 4 times. Easily my favourite of all time and the more you research it the more you discover its intricacies. Jim Carrey is a great dramatic actor as evidenced in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind as well as others like Man On The Moon and I Love You Philip Morris (not super serious) and I actually really like The Majestic although the critics smashed it.

I donā€™t know if this is serious, but totally awesome if so.

Thatā€™s obviously aimed at me, and they actually are my favourite movies that Iā€™ve watched many, many times.

People have different tastes.

Yeah sorry, thought he said it was the one without the voiceover. Probably should have read it a bit more intentlyšŸ˜„

So what is the difference between the final cut and the directors cut? Do they both have the unicorn scene in them? I mean I think that was shoehorned in so that Ridley Scott could say Dekard was a replicant.

Aliens
Terminator
Predator
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one)

I watch films for escapism and awesomeness. Arthouse and po-faced serious drama oscar-bait stuff can get stuffed.

And yeah, barrier to entry for the Marvel flicks is starting to get significant. At least they arenā€™t requiring you to watch the TV shows too. Yet.

You need to see Captain America and Avengers before Winter Soldier, really. And while Avengers is perfectly fun, Captain America isnā€™t one of the best.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll send it to you and successfully predict which ratings youā€™ll take issue with. I do it with books too.

Empire Strikes Back
Fight Club
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Hot Fuzz
Inception

Nice inclusion :+1:

2 Likes

My top 5 changes regularly but hereā€™s one for today:

Memories of Murder
I saw the Devil
Incendies
Ex Machina
Toss up out of Battle Royale and The Secret in their Eyes for the final spot.

The Wire and Forbrydelsen for best TV

How are you not in actuarial science

Korea is killing it with their top end stuff.

Itā€™s for everyone

Yeah, they are starting to get recognised.

The Chaser is another awesome one.

Not much, except that the Final Cut is better quality. There seem to have been two versions that were called ā€œDirectorā€™s Cutā€, the first of which was disowned by Ridley Scott. I think that might have been the one I saw in a cinema.

That goes into some detail if youā€™re interested

Funny you mention this one, as l was right in the middle of watching it, l started it a few days ago.

My top 5.
The order varies from time to time, l keep going back to watch one of these every couple of years, and they never disappoint.

Apocalypse Now (any version). FF Coppolla takes Conrad to the Vietnam war and Cambodia.
The Big Blue - Luc Besson at his best, and Jean Reno gives a larger than life performance.
Brazil - Terry Gilliam smashes dystopia out of the park.
The Stuntman - Peter Oā€™Toole is my favourite actor and this one of his best efforts, as a manipulative film director.
The Duelists - Ridley Scottā€™s debut effort (Bladerunner was his second movie). Two officers in Napoleonic France carry on a duel over decades, over an obscure point of honour.
Das Boot - Wolfgang Petersonā€™s epic, chronicling life and death in a U boat.
Runaway Train - Andrei Konchalovsky takes a screenplay from Akira Kurosawa in his English language debut, with stand out performances from Jon Voight and Eric Roberts as a couple of escaped cons on a killer train, speeding through the Alaskan winter.

Okay, so it is top 6 not a top 5, l refuse to omit one.

LMW:

Beauty and the Beast (animated)
Heathers
Little Shop of Horrors
Girl, Interrupted
refuses to give me a fifth

Mrs Wim:
Boyz N The Hood
Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction
Natural Born Killers
Idiot Box

Wim:
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Finding Nemo
Little Shop of Horrors
Magnolia

Honourable mentions: Boyz N the Hood, Rollerball, Ferris Buellerā€™s Day Off, NBK, District 9, Primer.
Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve forgotten a lot of films.
Iā€™ve tried to keep it to films Iā€™d be happy to watch right this second.

1 Like

Off the top of my headā€¦

Life of Brian
Shawshank
Jean de Florette
Meet John Doe
Doctor Strangelove

I could probably think of another 5 tomorrow

I should put one of the Ealing Comedies in tooā€¦probably Kind Hearts and Coronets or The Lavender Hill Mob

Lawrence of Arabia
The Sting
Vertigo or Rear Window

A good noir film like Double Indemnity or Sorry, Wrong Number