At the movies

webmaster rolo confirmed deviant.

2 Likes

Casting knew her strengths.

1 Like

Just watched Good Time.

The Safdie Bros. have a big future ahead of them.

Robert Pattinson was excellent.

Loved Ready Player One

A Quiet Place. Would recommend.

2 Likes

Molly’s Game was good. But like almost all movies these days 20-30 min too long.

Spanish Film Festival is on and I’ve pencilled in 6 movies. One today, 3 tomorrow and 2 Monday. Luckily not many go the two hours.

First one was Abracadabra
something the Poms and Yanks don’t seem able to pull off. Maribel VertĂș (the hornbag from Y Tu Mama) is Carmen, married to Carlos, who’s a ratbag. Film starts with The family going to the nephew’s wedding right in the middle of the Cup Final. Real playing Barça and right when the priest calls for any opposition to the wedding, Barça through the f**king midget (as he calls him) scores the winner.

An apprentice hypnotist at the reception hypnotises Carlos, and the spirit of a spree killer enters his body, improving Carlos’s behaviour and attitude to his family, but so do the killer’s psychiatric problems.

Lots of humour, bit of mild horror, good fun! And Maribel is still guapa.

1 Like

Watched Three billboards outside ebbing on plane on way home.

What an absolute load of meaningless boring twaddle.

1 Like

How the hell did that win academy awards. It annoys me this morning how boring that movie was

1 Like

It certainly doesn’t follow the Hollywood formula.
Maybe some people just like good acting and pithy story-line over formulaic pulp.

1 Like

I thought 3 billboards was excellent.

3 of the best actors getting around and they each gave amazing performances.

Boring? It had death, sucide, rape, police brutality, racism, revenge. I thought it was drama at its best.

I mean the last 10 mins of woodys character was sweat, funny and brutal. How can you think that was boring.

Haven’t seen a good movie since atomic blonde, wtf movie scene?

2 Likes

It was boring and everyone in it looked bored. She should have won academy award for angriest woman who swears the most. Rockwell looked bored. Harrelsons Mrs looked bored.

Only thing I liked was Rockwells character arc, that took a good turn. Otherwise meh. Maybe I’d just heard all the hype and was anticipting greatness.

Two more rippers today, and a third Sting-type film that was pretty good, but easily #4 in priorities.

First was Sin Rodeos (sounds like a pron-western) but means Without Boundaries and is listed as No Filter.

Again stars Maribel VerdĂș as Paz, a 40-ish advertising exec who has a deadbeat “artist” husband, a layabout amateur pr0n-star stepson, a sleazy boss who inherited from his late dad and only employs girls he wants bang, a sister who adds a new dimension to “crazy cat lady”, an ex who’s getting henpecked by his bride-to-be and a neighbour who’s been off his tree since 1992 and throws noisy parties upstairs. For some reason, she’s prone to anxiety attacks and her doctor only wants to prescribe more meds. She sees an ad for an Indian healer who gives her a potion, that when she drinks it, she starts telling people what she really thinks.

I loved it
hilarious, but with a serious side. It’ll come to the arthouse cinemas and well worth seeing. 11/10.

1 Like

Second one was Es Por Tu Bien (It’s for your own good) and has three brothers-in-law who each have one daughter who falls for guys their fathers think are totally unsuited for their darling daughters. They group as the Supercuñados (super b-i-l’s) and determine to get rid of the beaus.

One is a Venezuelan anarchist who turns up at the wedding and she dumps the groom.
The second is an Argentinian photographer of the female form who was a schoolmate of the father.
And the third is a troubled youth who hasn’t got over the death of his grandfather and the girl sacrifices a chance for a music scholarship at the Reina Sofia Conservatory.

Some very amusing incidents but with a serious overtones. If it was filmed here or the US, the SJW’s on Twitter would go ape droppings, but I’m not sure the French or Spanish care too much for the bleaters. There’s nothing offensive, but it could be construed as insensitive to people who think they have problems.

I didn’t recognise many here, except for Javier Cámara who’s in a few Almodovars and has recently been in Truman with Ricardo Darín, and Living is Easy with Eyes Closed.

1 Like

Third one was more of a grifter movie, called OperaciĂłn Concha - Operation Goldenshell. Set in San Sebastian and based around cinema, a movie has been cancelled and the key people decide to scam funding out of a rich Mexican woman by making up a double for a famous Latino action star.

I missed a little bit due to desperate need for a wee and I suspect that bit was important.

The issue throughout was who’s scamming whom.

1 Like

The Death of Stalin this arvo. No subtitles - all in English with American (Steve Buscemi, Jeffrey Tambor) and English (Michael Palin, Jason Isaacs, Andrea Riseborough and others) portraying Members of the Politburo at the time of Stalin’s death.

Beria thinks he’s taking over but Buscemi as Khruschchev thinks not. Rather amusing the way people are getting shot on a whim. I’m not the greatest fan of Russians so I thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Waiting for another Spanish one or two now.

1 Like

Just finished watching Get Out. Kooky concept.

Liked it a lot.