At the movies

For once, the main characters in the squad that investigates are all women. Like l said, with a difference.

I would think a chick flick is a movie designed specifically to appeal to a female audience. This is a movie for any audience, where 4 out of the 5 main protagonists just happen to be female.

Now that you mention it, the rest of the crew - sans Natalie Portman were really, really poor.

If she was not carrying that caqst, I don’t think the movie would of been the same.

She is phenomenal

Whoosh.

Watched Ali’s Wedding today.

While it showed the humorous side, it must be so difficult for parents and children alike to try to keep stability within the family. Enjoyed it.

(watched all the final credits as I wanted to see where it had been filmed. Nice to see the Bomber logo at the end.)

Rather amusing, especially with when they were frogmarched back to Australia in handcuffs.

Yes it was, and was pleased he got his wish. :slightly_smiling_face:

Really liked the photo’s at the end, re the family.

Had a chuckle (can’t remember the exact words) when the mother says while watching us on telly, they were destroying her house. Knew exactly what she meant.:slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, that would be my definition as well.
Was a very interesting movie. Netflix, Amazon etc means we are seeing a huge amount of content coming out specifically for those platforms. It’s a long way off, but Amazon has just allocated a near $1b to turn the book “the 3 body problem” into a series. If you haven’t read the book and like sci-fi then ‘do yourself a favor’ as Molly would say.

BTW - did anyone end up seeing Isle of Dogs? I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Curious to see if it was just me who thought it was amazing.

Haven’t had the opportunity to see it yet.

Fun fact - annihilation was never released on Netflix in North America. Fear the audience would not understand.

Merica

2 Likes

Agree with Davo’s review of Hereditary. A modern day Rosemary’s Baby. Well put together but not groundbreaking in any sense. Some nice acting by Toni Collette.

Yep. One scene in particular…good lord.

Might have to rewatch it.

Watched it last Friday and thought it was ok with the potential to be heaps better.

Mind you I was pretty tired at the time and had the idea in my head it was more of an action film along the lines of a,female version of Predator

Just on that, a lot of the content that they’re picking up isn’t actually made by them, they’re just paying for the streaming rights for third party productions. Very little of what’s there is actually made by Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Annihilation was actually a Paramount film that struggled for theatre distribution for some reason, and then Netflix jumped in

Can’t blame you for that really. All the promo seems to focus on the people in army gear with guns going off to fight some unknown enemy aspect, which really doesn’t capture what the film is about. It’s like no-one had any idea what to do with the movie once it was made.

1 Like

The Australian, ‘Emo: The Musical’ is quite good.
Netflix picked it up out of nowhere and now it has a bit of a cult following with ‘teh kids.’

Went to see Tag tonight. Very funny and entertaining film.

Got tix for this weekend.

Looking forward to it!

Ahh interesting. I didn’t know that. So is that making it more economically viable for more independent producers? More distribution channels?

They have realized that content is king though and to secure it they need to find and create it. Netflix accounts have billions in liabilities for content creation as well as purchases coming up.

My understanding is it was never offered for overseas theatre distribution. That Paramount didn’t think it would play well for overseas markets and so a deal was made with Netflix to air it overseas instead of in cinemas. Cinemas would have played it but Paramount thought it was safer to get guaranteed money from netflix as they were worried it would tank outside the US because it was too cerebral.